2021 Canadian Premier League Attendance

You really think there's a lot of overlap in hard core spectator interest between soccer and CFL? Bob Young & Co will know how many people have season tickets for both or even regularly buy tickets for both. The CanPL final could always have been scheduled to start a couple of hours earlier to provide more time in between for fans to do both if that was viewed as hugely problematic without the pacific timezone having to set the alarm clock. Think it says something that they didn't feel a need to do that.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

You really think there's a lot of overlap in hard core spectator interest between soccer and CFL?

I have never thought that and frankly I find it rather odd thinking. There is a segment of the population that just supports sports in general and will happily go to events in multiple different sports over the year. I have no idea if they are likely to buy season tickets to one particular sport but if you are prepared to go to anything, how much "brand loyalty" (to use an awful business term in relation to football) do you really have and what affect does that have on tickets sales year over year?

I have no idea but, I think most of those fans would have to be recorded and targeted for advertising under the "casuals" category.

7 hours ago, Tigers said:

Any thoughts on how the CFL Eastern Final affected the game? There was probably 8-10k Hamilton fans in Toronto that day, I'm sure at least some would have gone to see Forge if not for that.

I would say it probably cost the Forge a few hundred, a thousand max. There are fans of both sports and unlike Toronto, there isn't really an adversarial beef between the two fanbases. That said, there's limited crossover

Most Forge fans in Hamilton get that the Ti-Cats are a 150+ year institution in the city and that without them, there is no Forge. The complaints I do hear about the CFL basically amount to they get more priority in scheduling then Forge (because they do and should, they draw far more) and that they wish the pitch was grass (which isn't going to change anytime soon). That said, I have often seen other Battalion members at Ti-Cat games, albeit not with the same frequency.

Conversely, most Ti-Cat fans I know have no issue with the Forge, since they get it's an attempt for the organization to make more money and become more viable. What issues that are present and prevent crossover between the sports are more to do with soccer as a whole then the organization. The common complaints that the sport either can't address (there's not enough scoring, there's no physical contact) or simply won't address (I can't stand the diving, there's not enough refs to call the game right) are generally the biggest barrier. Again, I know some dual fans but I do find born and raised Hamiltonians buy more into the Ti-Cats then people who have come to Hamilton from different locales, since they are the top sports dog in the city. People go to the Ti-Cats because they are the in thing.

Edited by -Hammer-
Spelling

"or simply won't address (I can't stand the diving, there's not enough refs to call the game right)"

Those are probably my two biggest issues with soccer as well and the fact they don't stop the clock like rugby does now (or put someone in the sin bin like rugby does as well when they get a yellow).  Frankly, if they did those 4 things and kept the 5 subs rule, it would be perfect.

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

"or simply won't address (I can't stand the diving, there's not enough refs to call the game right)"

Those are probably my two biggest issues with soccer as well and the fact they don't stop the clock like rugby does now (or put someone in the sin bin like rugby does as well when they get a yellow).  Frankly, if they did those 4 things and kept the 5 subs rule, it would be perfect.

Yes, and this is probably my number one frustration with soccer. There is a culture of "This is how it's done. Deal with it, it's part of the game, we can't possibly change anything." From pitch purists, to diving apologists, this idea that the game is flawless because it's big across the world ticks me off, especially regarding diving.

On 12/6/2021 at 4:52 PM, gator said:

I agree with the previous 2 posts, I quite like Tim Horton Field, it has great amenities and is a quality game day experience, though it was cold and windy there yesterday our out of town guests including @Club Linesman seem to agree! It's too bad Brian Timmis Stadium got demolished for the rebuild because a retrofit of that facility might have been perfect for Forge but this is where we're at and where we will be in the foreseeable future! 

Remember watching Hamilton Steeler games at Brian Timmons , when that place was packed the atmosphere was nice , it’s too bad they tore it down would have been a perfect stadium with a few upgrades for this league.

18 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

Yes, and this is probably my number one frustration with soccer. There is a culture of "This is how it's done. Deal with it, it's part of the game, we can't possibly change anything." From pitch purists, to diving apologists, this idea that the game is flawless because it's big across the world ticks me off, especially regarding diving.

It's a global sport that truly engages the masses with all of its messiness. It's not about being flawless.

All the differences we see around the world are bought into the game. What North Americans call disgusting with the sport is seen by others as entertaining and having culture. While many others view North American sports as heavily sanitized.

One of the reasons Canada is doing well in Concacaf is that the players finally get these differences and even revel in it like Johnston. They understand now that culture eats strategy & talent for breakfast.

4 hours ago, red card said:

It's a global sport that truly engages the masses with all of its messiness. It's not about being flawless.

All the differences we see around the world are bought into the game. What North Americans call disgusting with the sport is seen by others as entertaining and having culture. While many others view North American sports as heavily sanitized.

One of the reasons Canada is doing well in Concacaf is that the players finally get these differences and even revel in it like Johnston. They understand now that culture eats strategy & talent for breakfast.

Differences are one thing, outright cheating and engaging in unsportsmanlike behavior is very much another, but by all means, the next time Canada gets CONCACAF'D by a dive, I sincerely hope to see you celebrating it and saying "Oh well, that's how it is, part of the fun. Isn't it great how we got screwed over there?"

23 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The game is the greatest sport in the world and isn't going to be changed to make you happy so you are just going to have to deal with it.

I don't think anyone else on this forum could have proven my point better.

6 hours ago, red card said:

...What North Americans call disgusting with the sport is seen by others as entertaining and having culture...

If people don't like it they can always go and watch something else. There is no cultural exceptionalism in the rules of a sport that is truly global so a low IQ dump and chase style of soccer to mimick the NHL isn't going to emerge regardless of what David Clanachan was saying before the league opener.

If diving is "outright cheating" what was Bobby Clarke breaking Valeri Kharlamov's ankle exactly? In a sport where you don't get to wear padding or a helmet and the point of the exercise unlike the CFL is not to try to emulate mountain goats butting heads, skillful players need to be able to use a bit of guile sometimes so that brute force can't be used to intimdate them and stifle their ability. There's no Oggie Oglethorpe around to protect them from that.

One of my close relatives almost got deported from Canada and wound up with a criminal record that limited his future career prospects and ability to travel out of the country for putting an opponent into hospital in a very one-sided soccer fight after the player in question had spat on one of his teammates. If he had been a good old boy from Saskatchewan playing hockey he could easily have got away with nothing more than a 10 minute major for doing something like that. The double standards are sickening sometimes.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

The one thing I would like try them do is to get an official to keep time and show it on the score board so we all know the actual time left in the game . The ref in the middle simply points to the official keeping time whenever he wants the clock to stop. If he were to stop the clock whenever players go down , or at substitutions and maybe after a goal is scored and when a penalty kick is awarded we would have a much more accurate read of how much time was actually played in a game and would stop a lot of the diving , faking of injuries and all the other time waisting that happens in a game . Let’s be real a lot of the added time these refs add seems made up . Watch a game next time and keep a note of how much time was waisted and it’s always a lot more than how much added time these refs add after 90 minutes . The players know this so why wouldn’t you try and waist time when your in the lead .

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2021 at 10:54 PM, -Hammer- said:

The game has changed in some areas quite significantly to make a number of powers-that-be happy.  The offsides rule, back passing to keeper rules, etc., have seen pronounced alteration.  

I like the five subs in regulation rule but I particularly like how they kept only the three sub windows.  I think some experienced coaches got caught out on that in the heat of the match. 

As a kid growing up in the mid 70s, my buddies and I used to compete in our own version of the old NASL 35 yard line, 5 second shootout.  For us, it was much more creative and fun than straight penalties.  I'm surprised that game decider has not made a return in some form, especially with goal line technology being able to determine if the ball crossed the line within the time limit.