GC: Canada vs The USA - Sunday, July 18th, 5pm Eastern / 2pm Pacific - Kansas City

59 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

------Hoilett------Ayo----Corbeanu--
-Pasher---Piette-----Fraser--Laryea-
------Sturing---Henry--Johnston----
---------------Crepeau---------------

The only person with a yellow is Johnston. 

I like this, although I would give St. Clair the start.  And as someone stated earlier, Sturing against the US scares me. However, it would also show what he's got.

Edited by Ivan
added to post

I think we have to think of the next match in function of the WC qualifier in September. If we beat them, regardless how the tournament goes, we are going to be in for a terrible fight away in Nashville. They'll want revenge, the press will be giving them hell for weeks, they'll be much more hyped. Which we don't want. We want them flying back from El Salvador licking any wounds possible and thrown into a Canadian malestrom.

If they beat us, or we draw, and if we don't show too many cards, then come September we have a slight edge. They won't be looking for revenge, they won't be keying hardly any of our top players after the experience. They are not going to be thinking about how to solve this player or attack better against another. We will be able to go into the away match without them aware of what to except of us. 

Not having key players Sunday, like Davies, David and Eustaquio, or Borjan, actually benefits us come September.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think Paton and Corbeanu get the start

I hope they start. I also hope Ayo starts and scores a couple goals. If he can show that he's going to be another big scoring threat, that is invaluable for much needed attacking depth come WCQ.

6 hours ago, narduch said:

For all you cheap fucks that don't want to pay for One Soccer, this game will be on Fox (the over the air broadcast channel),

Also this one is sold out do should be good atmosphere 

Wow so the casual soccer fan can actually watch the men’s nation team play when was the last time that happened?  It’s probably been awhile my 83 year old dad can actually watch the Canadian national team play for once , nice .

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think we have to think of the next match in function of the WC qualifier in September. If we beat them, regardless how the tournament goes, we are going to be in for a terrible fight away in Nashville. They'll want revenge, the press will be giving them hell for weeks, they'll be much more hyped. Which we don't want. We want them flying back from El Salvador licking any wounds possible and thrown into a Canadian malestrom.

If they beat us, or we draw, and if we don't show too many cards, then come September we have a slight edge. They won't be looking for revenge, they won't be keying hardly any of our top players after the experience. They are not going to be thinking about how to solve this player or attack better against another. We will be able to go into the away match without them aware of what to except of us. 

Not having key players Sunday, like Davies, David and Eustaquio, or Borjan, actually benefits us come September.

I don’t disagree.  Part of me would love to go all out guns blazing and see what we could do but I think there are lots of different arguments you could make about how to approach this game.  The reality is I don’t really know what Herdman plans to do.  Even Eustaquio getting a yellow doesn’t really prove too much about our approach to the US because he would be one of the most likely to get another one just as a function of his position and we absolutely needed to make sure he was available for the next rounds.  

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not a big fan of this.  This just smacks of being too cute and thinking too far ahead.  We can't control how the Americans are going to be in September.  For all we know, they could go down to El Salvador, get embarrassed on Sept. 2nd and be out for blood no matter who they are playing.  I'm betting that at least 80% of the starting 11 in September will be different than the starting 11 we play on Sunday.

If you're looking for a silver lining for David and Davies and Eustaquio not playing, then fine.  There you go.  But there should be nothing stopping us from putting our best players available out on the pitch.  A good showing against the US team in a tournament like this might catch the eye of a scout or two, which would only be good for the program.

Always play to win.

Although I don't think Fraser has been great for Canada in his few appearances since the win over USA back at BMO in 2019.  I honestly believe many fans overhyped him after this game because he had such a standout performance and it was unexpected.  

Point being, last time Fraser did an incredible job against a stronger US men's team than this current US squad.  The man he replaced that game was MAK.  Not endorsing Fraser to start necessarily just interesting to put in perspective his last USA game and the fact that MAK has not been his best this tournament.

I wouldn't over think it.  Manage your squad, absolutely play to win but the goal is a successful quarters, not finishing top of group.  Dead stop.

Don't get me wrong, would love to kick the Americans in their own house with our B team.  That would be very good for lads and good for business, but not priority #1 right now.

3 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I don’t know what everyone here thinks but Kaye doesn’t look very solid so far. Yes he had that nice shot but overall I was expecting more from especially when Hutchinson and Arfield are not there. 

Yeah not impressed with him. He’s been sloppy in possession. Really hoping we can get Eustaquio and Hutchinson in midfield together again. Might even put them with Wotherspoon given Osorios form and Arfield’s non commitment. 

20 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yeah not impressed with him. He’s been sloppy in possession. Really hoping we can get Eustaquio and Hutchinson in midfield together again. Might even put them with Wotherspoon given Osorios form and Arfield’s non commitment. 

I really think we’ll see Arfield in September. He’ll be missing out basically he’s only chance for a World Cup. Osorio is a interested debate because at times he looks amazing out there but at times he looks Avg and can’t finish. He’s the perfect MLS player. I wish he went overseas to get better. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sadly this is very accurate.  I think the win over the US back in 2019 was helped by the fact they expected a walk in the park.

35 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

His one footedness hurts him. It makes him predictable and there was a handful of times where there was a switch available but it required his right foot to be executed in time.  

I might actually watch the game on FOX. I like the "enthusiasm" and Canadian focus of the Onesoccer broadcast but... the homerism and Wayne's World vibe coming from Wheels and Dunfield makes it all feel a bit inconsequential. Its fine for a game vs Cayman Islands at a high school but for big games it seems a bit unprofessional 

I dont want them to lose that energy but when I'm bitting thru my nails and Canada's defending for periods it doesnt match with the clowning around and going And1 mixtape every time someone does anything and then pretending they didn't just cough the ball up

I get it, we're excited, we have good players but let's just keep it a bit more even keeled. If you want to swoon over someone's skill, wait for the replay to come up during a break in play, its more appropriate 

By the way I think they read this forum because I think I heard Dunfield repeat something I said in a thread lol all good

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

I wouldn't over think it.  Manage your squad, absolutely play to win but the goal is a successful quarters, not finishing top of group.  Dead stop.

Don't get me wrong, would love to kick the Americans in their own house with our B team.  That would be very good for lads and good for business, but not priority #1 right now.

I am not advocating not playing to win. I happen to think that since they need a win and need to attack us, as the fan base will push for, we are in good stead to counter effectively. 

But I am simply observing that this sort of narrative is common, and can have a repercussion on future results. Which is why I'd be happy with a boring tie with few goals, best result possible IMO.

Regardless of how we do, the good thing will be that we will not have revealed much to this US team or coaching staff. Whatever they think come September, will be different from what they get. 

37 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I might actually watch the game on FOX. I like the "enthusiasm" and Canadian focus of the Onesoccer broadcast but... the homerism and Wayne's World vibe coming from Wheels and Dunfield makes it all feel a bit inconsequential. Its fine for a game vs Cayman Islands at a high school but for big games it seems a bit unprofessional 

I dont want them to lose that energy but when I'm bitting thru my nails and Canada's defending for periods it doesnt match with the clowning around and going And1 mixtape every time someone does anything and then pretending they didn't just cough the ball up

I get it, we're excited, we have good players but let's just keep it a bit more even keeled. If you want to swoon over someone's skill, wait for the replay to come up during a break in play, its more appropriate 

By the way I think they read this forum because I think I heard Dunfield repeat something I said in a thread lol all good

I agree, its very hard to watch the game while listening to them.  There are so many cringeworthy comments made by them throughout the game.  Even little things are so annoying. 

For example, even the small things like from Kaye's deflected shot off the post - I can't remember it word for word but Wheeler yelled out either "How did that stay out!"  Or "How did that not go in!" as if there was a massive goal line scramble or like 3 or 4 shots in a row saved or off the woodwork.  It was an average shot that took a deflection and went off the post and out for a corner, it did not warrant the reaction at all.  Perhaps, it was on Wheeler's notepad as expressions that need to be used in today's game.  In my head, I am picturing him going down to his notepad and checking off the expression with a satisfied smile on his face.

All joking aside, I really do appreciate what One Soccer is doing for Canadian soccer.  We definitely needs this in the country but I just wish it was more professional.  But at least its a start for us.  For these reasons, I will continue my monthly subscription but I may consider watching elsewhere and play the One Soccer feed on my computer in the background.

Edited by Corazon

2 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Im hoping we’ll see Paton vs the US. It will be a great test to see his skill level. The US team is basically a very good MLS team, so it will be good to see. Scottish Prem VS MLS. 

He hasnt even been able to train with the team all week. I'm not sure he has even cleared covid protocols yet so it seems almost impossible that he would play on Sunday. 

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Wow so the casual soccer fan can actually watch the men’s nation team play when was the last time that happened?  It’s probably been awhile my 83 year old dad can actually watch the Canadian national team play for once , nice .

It actually wasn't that long ago. Covid killed off most of 2020. And the January 2020 matches vs Iceland & Barbados would never have been carried by TSN. 

So, ex 2020, it was just one year ago in the Gold Cup loss vs Haiti. If you include u17, they were 3x on TSN in October 2019 via the u17 World Cup. If you include women, they were on tape-delayed on CBC this February.