GC: Canada vs The USA - Sunday, July 18th, 5pm Eastern / 2pm Pacific - Kansas City

Let’s hope the Siz doesn’t ask the team how they would like to play in this one like he did the last time we needed only a draw against the US to advance in the Nations League.  
Missing some of our top talent and with a gong show of a defensive performance he needs to ensure we are compact and play for the counter.  It would be nice to grind out a result against a tier 1 Concacaf opponent.  It would also throw some more doubt into the Americans as they will know we did this without 5-6 of our best players.

Herdman needs to put on the big boy pants and tell the team exactly how they are going to play to get the result we need.  

4 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Not a big fan of this.  This just smacks of being too cute and thinking too far ahead.  We can't control how the Americans are going to be in September.  For all we know, they could go down to El Salvador, get embarrassed on Sept. 2nd and be out for blood no matter who they are playing.  I'm betting that at least 80% of the starting 11 in September will be different than the starting 11 we play on Sunday.

If you're looking for a silver lining for David and Davies and Eustaquio not playing, then fine.  There you go.  But there should be nothing stopping us from putting our best players available out on the pitch.  A good showing against the US team in a tournament like this might catch the eye of a scout or two, which would only be good for the program.

Always play to win.

Agreed.  As an aside, the rosters in September will be materially different than Sunday.  USA may have 11 different players.  We'll have 4-5 different players, maybe more (Davies, David, Milan, Eustaquio, Arfield maybe, Atiba maybe, etc.)

Also, we're not good enough to get too cute (as you rightly say).  We are trying to build a winning mentality and that is difficult.  Taking the foot off the gas would be a step backward in approach.  We might try hard and lose, but that is part of growing.

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

I agree, its very hard to watch the game while listening to them.  There are so many cringeworthy comments made by them throughout the game.  Even little things are so annoying. 

For example, even the small things like from Kaye's deflected shot off the post - I can't remember it word for word but Wheeler yelled out either "How did that stay out!"  Or "How did that not go in!" as if there was a massive goal line scramble or like 3 or 4 shots in a row saved or off the woodwork.  It was an average shot that took a deflection and went off the post and out for a corner, it did not warrant the reaction at all.  Perhaps, it was on Wheeler's notepad as expressions that need to be used in today's game.  In my head, I am picturing him going down to his notepad and checking off the expression with a satisfied smile on his face.

All joking aside, I really do appreciate what One Soccer is doing for Canadian soccer.  We definitely needs this in the country but I just wish it was more professional.  But at least its a start for us.  For these reasons, I will continue my monthly subscription but I may consider watching elsewhere and play the One Soccer feed on my computer in the background.

Agreed. I really appreciate OneSoccer too, but Wheeler/Dunfield (especially the latter) are too many times a cringefest. It's ok to root for Canada, but not to the point where you lose all objectivity. You're supposed to act like pros, not fanboys.

Maybe Herdman believes that Mexico and US will not end up on one side of the draw and as such doesnt see a benefit of winning or losing. Maybe the US Canada have a friendly agreement to rest players and just see how 2 rotated teams fare against each other?

Edited by SpursFlu

6 hours ago, flip said:

Agreed. I really appreciate OneSoccer too, but Wheeler/Dunfield (especially the latter) are too many times a cringefest. It's ok to root for Canada, but not to the point where you lose all objectivity. You're supposed to act like pros, not fanboys.

Just as an aside, who is the guy doing the French language pbp for OneSoccer?

49 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

A thought:. If the US game is being nationally broadcasted on basic cable, I don't think the US association would want to have the team run out a bunch of bench players from an already B roster.

I'm assuming they want to finish first in the group as well 

21 hours ago, El Hombre said:

But there should be nothing stopping us from putting our best players available out on the pitch.  A good showing against the US team in a tournament like this might catch the eye of a scout or two, which would only be good for the program.

Always play to win.

I agree with playing to win, but we still need to manage the players and system.  Believe me, the scouts aren't getting any surprises at this Gold Cup. Playing our "best 11" doesn't really do us any favors when we're carrying yellows and Vittoria has 2 days rest.  That in itself is a reason to rotate the squad.

We don't win anything by winning on Sunday, this is the last game that doesn't really matter, squad rotation is necessary.  Give Sturing a run out as well as Ayo and Paton so if we need them later they won't be completely rusted and unfamiliar.  At this point we're better off managing the games for a deep run.  Squad rotation is everything in these short tournaments. 

14 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

I've been questioning Herdman's use of Johnston since the 2nd Haiti game. He's been good in back 3's, but he just doesn't offer much as a wing back. I'm a little confused as to why JH is so insistent on inserting him into his 11's out of position. 

I think it's a question of flexibility, he can just back up, and slip into a back 4 system.  Our formation is very different when attacking vs defending, having one D minded WB and the other WB focus more on Offence is part of that.  However i agree i hope to never see Johnston as a WB again.

I think the whole squad rotation thing is being a bit overplayed on this board. There’s a full week before the QF, so I don’t think it’s that vital to sit all of our starters. I can see maybe sitting some of the guys that are on yellow cards, but then if they get a yellow in the QF, they’re still out for the SF. I think we all expect way more rotation than is probably likely. I know I expected more rotation in the Suriname/Haiti/Haiti run of games, but Herdman seems to like running with close to the same lineup. The exceptions of course being Aruba and then Mexico in the last Gold Cup.

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

I think the whole squad rotation thing is being a bit overplayed on this board. There’s a full week before the QF, so I don’t think it’s that vital to sit all of our starters. I can see maybe sitting some of the guys that are on yellow cards, but then if they get a yellow in the QF, they’re still out for the SF. I think we all expect way more rotation than is probably likely. I know I expected more rotation in the Suriname/Haiti/Haiti run of games, but Herdman seems to like running with close to the same lineup. The exceptions of course being Aruba and then Mexico in the last Gold Cup.

Like I said in the other thread, it's not just about the week rest after the US game, its also about only 2 days rest since the previous game.  

It's a slow Saturday, so I'm narrowing down the list of potential referees for our match tomorrow for something to do. 😂

I think there are 4 in the running. There are 20 referees at the Gold Cup and 6 haven't had a match yet. Of the 6, one is Canadian and one is American, so they're out. Assuming they give everyone a first match before some referees get a second, that leaves 4. The 4 are:

Reon Radix (Grenada)
Oshane Nation (Jamaica)
Adonai Escobedo (Mexico)
Ismael Cornejo (El Salvador)

We'll see who gets assigned tonight to the Group D matches, as that could narrow down the list. Radix won't get tonight since Group D is Grenada's group. Escobedo and Cornejo won't get the Group A matches tomorrow since Mexico and El Salvador are both in that group. The Jamaican referee could get any of the matches tonight or tomorrow.

Edited to add: The American referee who hadn't had a match yet is officiating tonight (Grenada vs. Qatar). The Gambian referee (who is part of a referee exchange between CAF and CONCACAF) is getting a second match (Panama vs. Honduras). Interesting. Our referee tomorrow could still be any of the 4 listed above.

Edited by jtpc

A bit of a meaningless game.  So far we've done what we should - which isn't something I've really been able to say ever. 

I'm not putting much into the USA game tomorrow.  It's a dead rubber.  We're through, and have a tough QF no matter what.  I will judge us by the QF performance. (unless of course it's awful, and we embarrass ourselves)

3 hours ago, jtpc said:

It's a slow Saturday, so I'm narrowing down the list of potential referees for our match tomorrow for something to do. 😂

I think there are 4 in the running. There are 20 referees at the Gold Cup and 6 haven't had a match yet. Of the 6, one is Canadian and one is American, so they're out. Assuming they give everyone a first match before some referees get a second, that leaves 4. The 4 are:

Reon Radix (Grenada)
Oshane Nation (Jamaica)
Adonai Escobedo (Mexico)
Ismael Cornejo (El Salvador)

We'll see who gets assigned tonight to the Group D matches, as that could narrow down the list. Radix won't get tonight since Group D is Grenada's group. Escobedo and Cornejo won't get the Group A matches tomorrow since Mexico and El Salvador are both in that group. The Jamaican referee could get any of the matches tonight or tomorrow.

When asked, Adonai said that Ismael would be "a wild donkey of a man". It's in Genesis. 

I don't want either of them frankly.