GC: Canada vs The USA - Sunday, July 18th, 5pm Eastern / 2pm Pacific - Kansas City

On 7/16/2021 at 2:46 PM, SpursFlu said:

I might actually watch the game on FOX. I like the "enthusiasm" and Canadian focus of the Onesoccer broadcast but... the homerism and Wayne's World vibe coming from Wheels and Dunfield makes it all feel a bit inconsequential. Its fine for a game vs Cayman Islands at a high school but for big games it seems a bit unprofessional 

I dont want them to lose that energy but when I'm bitting thru my nails and Canada's defending for periods it doesnt match with the clowning around and going And1 mixtape every time someone does anything and then pretending they didn't just cough the ball up

I get it, we're excited, we have good players but let's just keep it a bit more even keeled. If you want to swoon over someone's skill, wait for the replay to come up during a break in play, its more appropriate 

By the way I think they read this forum because I think I heard Dunfield repeat something I said in a thread lol all good

I'm not sure where I'll watch it yet, I find it annoying having to hook up my laptop to the TV and watching a laggy Onesoccer stream but I don't know if I can stomach listening to Americans yelling stupid shit for 90 minutes. I might just watch on OS and if we win, I'll watch it again later on FOX to laugh at the salty Americans commentators.

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

I'm not sure where I'll watch it yet, I find it annoying having to hook up my laptop to the TV and watching a laggy Onesoccer stream but I don't know if I can stomach listening to Americans yelling stupid shit for 90 minutes. I might just watch on OS and if we win, I'll watch it again later on FOX to laugh at the salty Americans commentators.

To be fair, I think a lot of their "media" has come to the realization we're no longer rubbish.  Their reaction when we beat them back in 2019 was akin to Spain losing to San Marino.

2 hours ago, Bdog said:

Luckily. I can watch on Premier Sports which has a US announcer but he is quite balanced and neutral 

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not sure about the doesn't matter stuff. If we win or tie and Mexico win, we avoid US and Mexico until the final. Thats pretty huge

Do you know something we don't? How do you assume Mexico automatically wins the group?  Just a few facts:

- Mexico plays after us.

- They're currently BEHIND El Salvador in their group. 

- They will obviously prefer to face us, meaning even if we beat the US, Mexico just needs to layoff the pedal and aim for a tie and they face us instead. 

Knowing all this, how can you say we're better off giving it our all and risking cards, tired players and not giving the bench a good run out in case we need them later?  We might be forced to play Sturing, Ayo, Paton, Corbeanu later, might as well play them now. 

Is there something i'm missing?

43 minutes ago, costarg said:

Do you know something we don't? How do you assume Mexico automatically wins the group?  Just a few facts:

- Mexico plays after us.

- They will obviously prefer to face us, meaning even if we beat the US, Mexico just needs to layoff the pedal and aim for a tie and they face us instead. 

Knowing all this, how can you say we're better off giving it our all and risking cards, tired players and not giving the bench a good run out in case we need them later?  We might be forced to play Sturing, Ayo, Paton, Corbeanu later, might as well play them now. 

Mexico won’t lay down to El Salvador no matter what - and certainly not to avoid the US and look afraid of them. Their fans won’t have it 

1 hour ago, costarg said:

- Mexico plays after us.

You're missing that Mexico might not want to play us.   I'm tired of the insecurity.  If we play our best, given the players at our disposal for this tournament vs what the US has at their disposal, I believe we are the better side.  Now we don't have Estaquio and likely won't play some players on yellows.  If Mexico thinks we're the easier side, they are in for a much tougher match, because we're better than this US team.

In listening Mexican football podcasts, Canada isn't on their radar. It only gets mentioned when a guest like Jon Arnold says Canada is looking good.

They're only concerned about the 3 teams in their group and USA. Their main worry about ES is the number of supporters they'll be bringing.

The biggest takeaway from the Guatemala match was a love story.

46 minutes ago, red card said:

In listening Mexican football podcasts, Canada isn't on their radar. It only gets mentioned when a guest like Jon Arnold says Canada is looking good.

They're only concerned about the 3 teams in their group and USA. Their main worry about ES is the number of supporters they'll be bringing.

The biggest takeaway from the Guatemala match was a love story.

That’s hilarious 

Not having Eustaquio hurts and the backline looked dodgy last game but I think with Piette providing a shield in front of them plus the in form play of Buchanon and Larin off the counter gives us a good look.  Crepeau is looking on top of his game, which is also  a big plus.  I am curious if the assistant coaches will influence Herdman into going with four in the back for this one. 

We should be able to get the result we need.

4 hours ago, costarg said:

- Mexico plays after us.

I'm just saying if its all on the up and up I think its a safe expectation that Mexico wins

Well, it seems that Herdman will not play the derby that we all expect against the Yankees. He will be more focused on the quarterfinals.
And I expected a beating to the neighbors to the south. I hope it doesn't happen the other way around. 

Edited by xabuep2

7 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Well, it seems that Herdman will not play the derby that we all expect against the Yankees. He will be more focused on the quarterfinals.
And I expected a beating to the neighbors to the south. I hope it doesn't happen the other way around. 

Remember that Berhalter will have the exact same mindset.