Tiago Coimbra

VinceA

17 year old Striker who recently signed with Brazil giants Palmeiras. 

https://www.lance.com.br/palmeiras/contrata-atacante-com-passagem-pelo-futebol-canadense.html

This article states that he developed with Faly Acadmy in Vancouver (I've never heard of them before) and was with  Juazeiro FC before signing with Palmeiras. He's officially a member of their U-17 side and is recovering from a minor shoulder injury.

I can't find much on Juazeiro FC. They are either actually Juazeiro Social Clube from Bahia or some random amateur looking club that has a little less than a hundred and fifty followers on Instagram.

Interesting prospect playing in Brazil.

37 minutes ago, VinceA said:

17 year old Striker who recently signed with Brazil giants Palmeiras. 

https://www.lance.com.br/palmeiras/contrata-atacante-com-passagem-pelo-futebol-canadense.html

This article states that he developed with Faly Acadmy in Vancouver (I've never heard of them before) and was with  Juazeiro FC before signing with Palmeiras. He's officially a member of their U-17 side and is recovering from a minor shoulder injury.

I can't find much on Juazeiro FC. They are either actually Juazeiro Social Clube from Bahia or some random amateur looking club that has a little less than a hundred and fifty followers on Instagram.

Interesting prospect playing in Brazil.

If that is the case, I won't be surprised if he does get capped by Brazil. I mean come on let's be honest here.

32 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

That first article you posted Vince doesn't  say he is actually Canadian. It says he lived in the US & Canada from 9 to 16 years old and has a "backround in Canadian football".

A name to follow but more questions must be asked.

Reading the article it says he's played for Faly for the past 4 years. To me it seems he's off to play in Brazil but ill assume his family is staying in Vancouver which would continue his connection with Canada. 

Thats a big jump.. I would compare it to like a 17 yr old signing with Club America or even Boca Juniors. Good for him

I dont know much about Faly Academy but I heard that their first season in VMSL u21 they kinda ran away with things. I thought I also read theyre trying to be involved in the BC1 league. I stand to be corrected on that one 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

If that is the case, I won't be surprised if he does get capped by Brazil. I mean come on let's be honest here.

Again, I hope you are joking?  I am not trying to be rude, but this take is hard to take serious.

17 year olds quite regularly play for the senior squads in the Campeonato Brasil Serie A and their State Leagues.  Tiago is likely very very far from that.  Superstar attackers like Rodrygo & Vinicius go to Europe around his age or soon after.  Those two Real Madrid superstars have a combined 4 caps for Brazil.  That is how difficult it is to break into the Brazilian squad.

People have been talking about Gabriel Veron from Palmeiras for years now as a future star for Brazil.  He plays the same position and is the same age as Tiago but with nearly 40 appearances for the Palmeiras senior team already.  And he has never even been close to being called for the Brazil senior team.

Edited by Corazon

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

That first article you posted Vince doesn't  say he is actually Canadian. It says he lived in the US & Canada from 9 to 16 years old and has a "backround in Canadian football".

A name to follow but more questions must be asked.

Board member Jordan mentioned in the abroad thread that he has a passport.

• 2 months later...

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/m.lance.com.br/palmeiras/sub-sub-vencem-fecham-turno-campeonato-paulista-invictos.html.amp

Apparently this kid is making an impact. A Palmeiras supporter was telling me he recently scored 2 goals for the U17 team and there is a buzz around him. What more is they refer to him as just "Canada". As most people know in Brazil your nickname becomes your name. So yes, we might have a player named... Canada. In this article he's referred to as Canada

Here is scoring some goals. Wearing 11

Edited by SpursFlu

On 6/23/2021 at 11:49 AM, SpursFlu said:

I dont know much about Faly Academy but I heard that their first season in VMSL u21 they kinda ran away with things. I thought I also read theyre trying to be involved in the BC1 league. I stand to be corrected on that one 

I've watched them train a lot at Empire. Very serious, very technical. They've even managed to earn a spot through BC Soccer in the traditional youth pyramids, unheard of before.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
48 minutes ago, Xavier. said:

It's also worth noting that Palmeiras is probably (arguably) the top team in South America at the moment. At least from a results perspective over the last couple years, they've been very successful. It also seems to me its more from a player development perspective than just say Flamengo or Atletico Mineiro who have went out and bought big names

Edited by SpursFlu

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
7 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I have to say that I am sad to see this. I dont know much about the player and this could be great for his development, but i had hoped he would break through at palmeras and become a star. Starting for halifax is not the same as starting for palmeiras

It's easy to say that but he's entering an age where he needs to start playing pro minutes. There was nothing to indicate he was close to the first team. It would be worse if he had waited until he was 22, left and started playing in the state leagues which is what happens to most older academy graduates in Brazil.

If he's good, we'll see it in CPL. Don't we want big talent in our domestic league? 

And honestly, we don't know anything about this kid other than he looked decent for our u20's, and that he was stuck between youth teams at a massive academy. We're giving him a shot to play pro way before them. I don't think your potential magically disappears because you come to Canada lol

He had just two appearances for the U20 side this season. Palmeiras is a hard academy to make it through, only the extremely talented 18 year olds make it to the first team and in a couple years time they’re off to a top 5 European league. I like this move for him, we will able to see his skill level on a constant basis at the pro level. Could be a financially impressive move a few years down the line for Halifax.