Jonathan Sirois

Dominic94

His underlying numbers last year were pretty middle of the pack in MLS from what I remember. When you separate his performances at Saputo vs. on the road, there was also a stark difference. I remember a few instances where he made some pretty bonehead plays that cost his team points- the fumble against Cincy last year comes to mind especially. In any case, being 21 years old and starting almost every game in your rookie season is a tremendous feat, especially with those monster performances at Saputo, so I think it's more of a case that he has to sharpen up before he moves, but I think he gets there. 

That said, I think in most statistical categories there weren't many, if any, keepers above him who were his age or younger. Not surprised that Europe hasn't come calling yet, but if these last two games on the road are a taste of what's to come for him this year, I think we start seeing him get some international attention. MLS keepers always seem to move to the biggest clubs of any MLS players, so it wouldn't be the biggest shock in the world if he moves to a top 5 league over the next few years. Will likely have to do the loan carousel, but he's probably one of the best young keepers in MLS. Really hope we find a way to call him up to the NT.

4 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Whoever it is, it can't be Borjan. I love him and respect what he's done for us but the guy can not be our starter anymore. 

At the world cup and since, there's at least one goal a game he should have saved IMO. 

I think he was given his moment with Canada, and that was at the World Cup. I love Borjan's commitment to the national team and Canada...it can't be understated. But his lingering around is like how Buffon lingered around for Italy. Yes, you are still playing, yes you can still do a fill-in job, but there comes a time when you have to pass the torch especially when you're not playing at superior levels. 

Ochoa is a direct comparison...he's 38 and still starting for a Serie A team. If that was Borjan than the argument for him would be completely different. 

Fingers and toes crossed Sirois keeps showing as well as is being reported.  Harsh reality is at his age you need to be worked a lot harder than you'd like as, for example, a more established 30 year old.  Not to jinx his season! 

And not to get all watery eyed but Borjan is going to be with the MNT, wherever and whenever they play, for years to come.  He's been that type of player and that type of teammate.

3 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Fingers and toes crossed Sirois keeps showing as well as is being reported.  Harsh reality is at his age you need to be worked a lot harder than you'd like as, for example, a more established 30 year old.  Not to jinx his season! 

And not to get all watery eyed but Borjan is going to be with the MNT, wherever and whenever they play, for years to come.  He's been that type of player and that type of teammate.

That's fine if he's there but he can't be playing. It's costing us

10 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

At 22, Crépeau and St. Clair were playing USL. We gonna see as the season goes, but he might already be the best of the group. 

There is no question his ceiling and natural ability/instincts are higher than both. 

Sirois highlight reel is already longer and more impressive than both.  He has the basics down as well as being really good with his feet.  He's stolen lots of games and points that CFM had no right to.   

Having seen Crepeau at the same age, its not even comparable.

With Dayne, there was a lot of potential, but he's stagnated and has had several bad games and lacks consistency.  Neither of which can be said for Sirois.

Today its debatable between the three, it won't be in a few months, barring injury.  Sirois' only competition are the keepers in EU if they start getting minutes.  

Edited by costarg

2 hours ago, costarg said:

There is no question his ceiling and natural ability/instincts are higher than both. 

Sirois highlight reel is already longer and more impressive than both.  He has the basics down as well as being really good with his feet.  He's stolen lots of games and points that CFM had no right to.   

Having seen Crepeau at the same age, its not even comparable.

With Dayne, there was a lot of potential, but he's stagnated and has had several bad games and lacks consistency.  Neither of which can't be said for Sirois.

Today its debatable between the three, it won't be in a few months, barring injury.  Sirois' only competition are the keepers in EU if they start getting minutes.  

Just wondering what you think...

How much of this is down to Sirois being a superior talent versus Sirois having the benefit of the CPL for his pro development? I mean, in the grande scheme of the number 1 keeper debate it doesn't matter, but I am just curious to know how Montrealers who are familiar with him see it.

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Just wondering what you think...

How much of this is down to Sirois being a superior talent versus Sirois having the benefit of the CPL for his pro development? I mean, in the grande scheme of the number 1 keeper debate it doesn't matter, but I am just curious to know how Montrealers who are familiar with him see it.

I really couldn't say.  Checking stats, Crepeau didn't spend much time riding the bench anywhere, if he wasn't playing with the Impact he was playing for FC Montreal and Ottawa very regularly starting at 21/22.  Sirois has been playing regularly since 19 in CPL and now CFM.  So he definitely started younger and probably at a higher level.  Sirois was also highly rated even before the CPL stint, so people saw something even before.  Very possible CPL factored into his development and level.  Could also be coaching, confidence, freak of nature, dedication to his craft, etc.....

What stands out most about Sirois is his soccer IQ.  He just does everything well, very well rounded and consistent.  We've seen lots of keepers, and they all had obvious glitches in their games.  Just an example, Pantemis was terrible with his feet and too nonchalant, bad decision making, didn't read the game, but great shot stopper.  Borjan, well we all know about the blunder per game issue. 

12 hours ago, costarg said:

I really couldn't say.  Checking stats, Crepeau didn't spend much time riding the bench anywhere, if he wasn't playing with the Impact he was playing for FC Montreal and Ottawa very regularly starting at 21/22.  Sirois has been playing regularly since 19 in CPL and now CFM.  So he definitely started younger and probably at a higher level.  Sirois was also highly rated even before the CPL stint, so people saw something even before.  Very possible CPL factored into his development and level.  Could also be coaching, confidence, freak of nature, dedication to his craft, etc.....

What stands out most about Sirois is his soccer IQ.  He just does everything well, very well rounded and consistent.  We've seen lots of keepers, and they all had obvious glitches in their games.  Just an example, Pantemis was terrible with his feet and too nonchalant, bad decision making, didn't read the game, but great shot stopper.  Borjan, well we all know about the blunder per game issue. 

Sirois' reading of the game is way is impressive for his age.  Technically, he's already very good and the shot blocking and distribution can only improve with coaching but his situational awareness is  better than a lot of starting MLS keepers with more experience.

It was like watching David with Gent when he was a regular starter at 18, not turning 19 until the following January.  He just saw the field so well, reading plays, making runs into space, the game was already slowing down for him at that age. 

23 hours ago, Shway said:

I think he was given his moment with Canada, and that was at the World Cup. I love Borjan's commitment to the national team and Canada...it can't be understated. But his lingering around is like how Buffon lingered around for Italy. Yes, you are still playing, yes you can still do a fill-in job, but there comes a time when you have to pass the torch especially when you're not playing at superior levels. 

Ochoa is a direct comparison...he's 38 and still starting for a Serie A team. If that was Borjan than the argument for him would be completely different. 

Borjan will be the starter until a new coach comes in and has the authority to make the change. 

Biello won't bench him, then leave that single decision for the doubts and bad blood to fester for a new coach coming in. Which would just leave Borjan angry with Biello and hurt the latter's future in the CSA as well. Anyways, Borjan plays regularly in Slovakia on the top team and played Conference League a few weeks ago. It is not like Crepeau, with a game so far in MLS, is any more game fit.

As for Ochoa, we saw him against Inter the other day, and he was dire. I see a lot of Mexicans are making the case for the continuity of Ochoa at this point, but I am sure many more are thinking what the hell.

Getting back to Sirois, I don't know if you can watch Montreal practices, but it is often where you can really see the talent. Game situations are important, vital, but if you watch a practice and see 20 shots, or high balls, and how a keeper holds, or a short game where he is using his feet more,  the technical prowess comes to the fore.

23 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

That's fine if he's there but he can't be playing. It's costing us

To be a little more clear I think this year is the last we're going to see of Milan in a Canada kit, if we haven't already.

Was suggesting that going forward we'll be carrying enough players who were there during WCQing and will be bringing with them the experiences of that cycle, to our great benefit.  Milan was a massive, positive, part of that.  I think he played an oversized and influential role during that period and our lads are better for it.   He'll be there in spirit.  I don't doubt it.

You live on through your kids.

So... how's Sirois dealing with the wide crosses these days?  Have it in my head it was the one part of his game (while he was with Valour) which could have used some attention. 

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the worst we've seen from Sirois.  The humbling might help him, hopefully he learns from it and comes back stronger.  No excuse, but the whole team just capitulated in front of him.  That was just a brutal last 15 minutes, not the way to defend a lead.  There is low block, and then there is whatever that was.

Edited by costarg

14 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Just not sure how there is over 20 minutes of stoppages in that match. Absolutely wild. 

Ridiculous from Edwards too. 

Really though. I’d love to see the breakdown of those added minutes as the ref forgot he even had VAR after the first PK.

2 hours ago, kacbru said:

I only saw the one replay of the winning goal, but it looked like the Chicago forward was in an offside position and I would argue was involved in the play by chasing down the high ball. 

It's not like it was a cross in front of the face of the goal and there was a forward at the near post in an offside position that pulls the keeper there. It was launched from the opposite half and it went over the keeper. No offside.