Jonathan Sirois

Dominic94

10 minutes ago, An Observer said:

What I have seen of Sirois this year, he is already better than Pantemis so I doubt the latter gets his starting job back unless the former’s form dips.  I am quite high on Sirois being in the competition for the starting job in 26 for us with St Clair and possibly one of McGill, Odunze, and Goodman if they pick us and start to play regularly at the premiership level.

I would not be surprised to see Sirois get sold to Europe in the next year or two 

Is Sirois capped yet? Is that a concern?

I still think people are doing Mad Max a disservice by thinking he won’t be the #1 or maybe #2 in 2026.  Yeah, he broke his leg - but you don’t get to compete at this level without experiencing, recovering from, and compartmentalizing some injuries along the way.  I know it was a bad break but I don’t see him permanently emotionally scarred and timid.  I think he comes back strong, hungry and ready to play.   And make no mistake, he has been a beast for us and was a very solid #2 and there when we needed him. 

I know we always have a tendency to  look for the next big thing, but don’t count Max out.  

45 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I still think people are doing Mad Max a disservice by thinking he won’t be the #1 or maybe #2 in 2026.  Yeah, he broke his leg - but you don’t get to compete at this level without experiencing, recovering from, and compartmentalizing some injuries along the way.  I know it was a bad break but I don’t see him permanently emotionally scarred and timid.  I think he comes back strong, hungry and ready to play.   And make no mistake, he has been a beast for us and was a very solid #2 and there when we needed him. 

I know we always have a tendency to  look for the next big thing, but don’t count Max out.  

I'm not counting Max out but seeing the Canada depth chart for 2026 especially if Borjan isn't there anymore, then really it is wide open as far as which goalkeepers could end up being the #1 and #2 for our squad come 2026

Because after Borjan, yeah you have Crepeau but St Clair and Sirois can easily compete too to be our #1 or our #2 well depending on what our circumstances are by then

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Agreed.

The thing is that I didn't think he was as good with LAFC as he was with the Caps, and they seem to be rolling along without him, so I wonder if they decide to move him once he gets back to full fitness?  

All things being equal, he is my choice as the No. 1 heir, so hopefully he gets back to full health.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Aird25 said:

This kid needs a winning mentality. Should’ve scored tonight 

He's also terrible at taking free kicks, can't bend a ball worth shit.  He's gotta get better at that to fill the hole for CANMNT.

9 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

He won’t win, but he is a candidate for GK of the season and IMO should win given that those with more clean sheets than him have way better teams.

Thing is the stats are just one thing and one would think the D ahead of him is helping his stats, but truth is the D ahead of him are just awful and he keeps putting up the highlight real saves.  The kid sees the game in slo-mo.

Hmmm, wasnt it only last year we had guys on here telling us we were crazy thinking Sirois might be in Montreals plans? That he "supposedly" was washed up because Valour gave Yesli the starting job at the end of last season??  Seems to have worked out for everyone, Yesli playing well in CPL, Sirois moved on and establishing himself and Pantemis....ieeee forgot about Pantemis being injured.  Remember the bad ole days when we hadnt had a CDN keeper play in MLS for 4-5 years??  Now we have 3 starters (Sirois, Stclair, Crepeau) and some backups (Hasal, Boemer, Pantemis).  

My only caution is that only Crepeau and St Clair have claimed permanent starting roles for an extended period of time and for St Clair it took a couple years of split appearances before becoming the outright starter.  We’ve seen Hasal become a starter and lose it.  We’ve seen Pantemis become a starter and lose it.  We saw Breza unable to hold a starting role down last season.  Boehmer has never really gotten an extended period of starts.

However, Sirois definitely has a different feel to him then the aforementioned players.

13 hours ago, costarg said:

He's also terrible at taking free kicks, can't bend a ball worth shit.  He's gotta get better at that to fill the hole for CANMNT.

Thing is the stats are just one thing and one would think the D ahead of him is helping his stats, but truth is the D ahead of him are just awful and he keeps putting up the highlight real saves.  The kid sees the game in slo-mo.

That’s why I think he should win, he has stolen games and points. Not sure Frei and Celetano have had to be as good.

10 hours ago, Corazon said:

My only caution is that only Crepeau and St Clair have claimed permanent starting roles for an extended period of time and for St Clair it took a couple years of split appearances before becoming the outright starter.  We’ve seen Hasal become a starter and lose it.  We’ve seen Pantemis become a starter and lose it.  We saw Breza unable to hold a starting role down last season.  Boehmer has never really gotten an extended period of starts.

However, Sirois definitely has a different feel to him then the aforementioned players.

St.Clair got screwed 

Hasal also got screwed and was mishandled

Pantemis was overrated and not that good nor consistent

Breza wasn’t really anything to be excited about and again not handled properly.

Crepeau and Sirois got extended runs as pro’s, it’s helped them.

12 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

St.Clair got screwed 

Hasal also got screwed and was mishandled

Pantemis was overrated and not that good nor consistent

Breza wasn’t really anything to be excited about and again not handled properly.

Crepeau and Sirois got extended runs as pro’s, it’s helped them.

Agreed on St Clair, especially considering how well he was playing during that period.  However, my post was never about Sirois or any of those other players ability or quality, it was a cautionary reminder that some of our goalies in MLS have been highly regarded by many after short periods of starts and now are backups or in lesser leagues.  Call it being screwed over or not, they are off the Canada radar now.  That was my caution.  Hopefully you understand, it wasn’t a slight on any of them.

ps I also think Sirois is better than all the other recent Canadian goalies in MLS aside from St Clair and Crepeau currently.

Edited by Corazon

Kinda funny because I just stated how I overreact a lot in the Stefanovic thread but I think Sirois very well could go to Europe at the end of the season, Montreal has shown they are willing to sell and they have another good Keeper in Pantemis. Assuming Transfermarkt is right Sirois has a French passport so could Ligue 1 be on the cards for him?

Not that these stats are the be all end all, but he currently has the 3rd highest sofascore for MLS keepers- first is Petrovic who is apparently tied to Manchester United, second is Roman Burki who is a full 11 years older than Sirois and comes from BVB, and below him you have Joe Willis and Brad Stuver, two of the best keepers in the league.

9th in the league in saves per game, T-8th for least goals conceded, 3rd in clean sheets, 12th for goals prevented.

here I was, thinking that we were gonna be watching Sean Rea or Rida Zouhir's breakout season, when in reality, Sirois has been the most exciting thing about Montreal this year.