Jonathan Sirois

Dominic94

2 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

Can you all stop with this he’s number 2 at Brighton please? He never played a game for them, he’s at the club since 2014 and with the senior squad since 2018.

He was born in 2000, so yes - he has been a youth player since he was 14 and then got a Senior contract when he was 18. He's also been their only keeper on the bench for at least the last few matches.

If he's not their #2, who else is? The keeper that isn't making the bench?

5 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Isn't McGill number four? Sanchez, Steele, Scherpen (loaned out), McGill?

I think it's great that he got a new contract, but two years isn't some huge signal of committment from the club.

Correct 

32 minutes ago, Wasp said:

He was born in 2000, so yes - he has been a youth player since he was 14 and then got a Senior contract when he was 18. He's also been their only keeper on the bench for at least the last few matches.

Sanchez is injured, otherwise it’s Steele #2 and McGill #3. Kjell Scherpen is also now back in the mix for next season but may be sold 

2 hours ago, Wasp said:

Jason Steele, with 15 games played.

1 hour ago, MauditYvon said:

Jason Steele, with 15 games played.

Jason Steele who has started the last 9 matches in a row with Sanchez, the former #1, on the bench for 4 of those matches and out of the squad completely for the last 5? He's the #2?

Look, I'm not saying McGill has been the #2 all year. He also may not be the #2 next year - no one knows at this point. But, considering Sanchez was dropped, at this point and for the last 5 matches, he is and has been their #2.

3 hours ago, Wasp said:

Jason Steele who has started the last 9 matches in a row with Sanchez, the former #1, on the bench for 4 of those matches and out of the squad completely for the last 5? He's the #2?

Look, I'm not saying McGill has been the #2 all year. He also may not be the #2 next year - no one knows at this point. But, considering Sanchez was dropped, at this point and for the last 5 matches, he is and has been their #2.

This is big time cherry picking.
Sanchez was basically suspended for refusing to be on the bench. If that makes you believe McGill is a number 2 (that sounds so hockey) without ever seeing the pitch well… we gonna agree to disagree.

Edit : and I’m not even bringing up Scherpen, who has much better experience.

Edited by MauditYvon

8 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Isn't McGill number four? Sanchez, Steele, Scherpen (loaned out), McGill?

I think it's great that he got a new contract, but two years isn't some huge signal of committment from the club.

Maybe #5? Based purely on experience, I would also put Carl Rushworth (loaned out to Lincoln) ahead of McGill at Brighton - he's younger and played 42 games in League 1 this year. 

Or maybe #6 - there is also 18 year old James Beadle who got 9 games in League 2 this year with Crewe Alexander - still more games at a higher level than McGill has had in his career.

Point is McGill is just a name at a club in a high profile league.  An assessment based on the fact that he practices with the first team doesn't mean much.

Sirois on the other hand is actually playing and we know what we are getting.

37 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Maybe #5? Based purely on experience, I would also put Carl Rushworth (loaned out to Lincoln) ahead of McGill at Brighton - he's younger and played 42 games in League 1 this year. 

Or maybe #6 - there is also 18 year old James Beadle who got 9 games in League 2 this year with Crewe Alexander - still more games at a higher level than McGill has had in his career.

Point is McGill is just a name at a club in a high profile league.  An assessment based on the fact that he practices with the first team doesn't mean much.

Sirois on the other hand is actually playing and we know what we are getting.

Herdman is bringing McGill along slowly because he sees something in him. He wants to cap McGill, perhaps at the gold Cup. You are correct that Sirois is a known quantity at this point, but Herdman must want to broaden the group with prospects as Borjan's playing days draw toward an end. Herdman is hoping that at least one of the prospects, Sirois among them, becomes a star.

8 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

This is big time cherry picking.
Sanchez was basically suspended for refusing to be on the bench. If that makes you believe McGill is a number 2 (that sounds so hockey) without ever seeing the pitch well… we gonna agree to disagree.

Edit : and I’m not even bringing up Scherpen, who has much better experience.

TIL that accurately describing the current situation at a club = cherry picking. Ok then.

I don't know if McGill is an actual "number 2" or not, whatever that means. All I know is that as of the last month, his club - who were still technically in the running for a Europa League spot - seemed to think he was up to the task of being a backup keeper at the EPL level since they put him in that position. EPL clubs are not in the business of putting players in positions they don't think they're capable of handling, so all of the people saying he's #4 or #5 or "just a name at a big club" are basically saying they know better than an actual EPL club who have 9 years of watching him progress from youth teams to the first team.

Since we're on the Sirois thread, Sirois is only starting because Pantemis got injured during the first match of the year. So, should we be saying that Sirois is not an MLS starter because he only got the opportunity due to injury? Or, can we agree that we should take a player's current club selection and form at face value instead of dealing in hypotheticals?

1 hour ago, Wasp said:

Or, can we agree that we should take a player's current club selection and form at face value instead of dealing in hypotheticals?

Exactly.  Unless you are watching McGill practice, there is nothing but hypotheticals - he has no club form to go on. Hypothetically he might be capable of handling 'the number 2' role, just as hypothetically the club put him on the bench because they had no other options at the end of the year.  Only their coaching staff know.  But I think it is laughable to claim that he is their 2nd choice keeper.  From memory, Brighton's last game was meaningless in terms of league position and they still went with Steele.  I would be shocked (but also thrilled) if he's their 2nd choice keeper next year.

Sirois on the other hand, is not hypothetical.  You can watch him play every weekend.  You can see how well he copes (or doesn't) with MLS.

He’s not injury prone but breaking a leg is a catastrophic injury. Not to mention the psychological toll of playing a position that puts the leg you busted in a position to it again on a diving save is something he’ll have to get over too. He broke his leg on a tactical red- is he going to immediately be ready to depend on that leg right away? I know one of the big hurdles of ankle or knee injuries is the psychological fear of putting weight on the injured area. 

Not saying he’s done because he’s not, but you miss a year with injury during the peak of your prime, then it takes however much time to get back to tip top form- don’t necessarily think we should assume he’s our second best keeper until we see what he looks like. 

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Not to mention the psychological toll of playing a position that puts the leg you busted in a position to it again on a diving save is something he’ll have to get over too. He broke his leg on a tactical red- is he going to immediately be ready to depend on that leg right away? I know one of the big hurdles of ankle or knee injuries is the psychological fear of putting weight on the injured area. 

Well said/written.  I still suffer from this 19 years later.  It's difficult to get that confidence back. 

I still cringe when I see Eustaquio going in for tackles or getting tackled given his history.

34 minutes ago, costarg said:

Well said/written.  I still suffer from this 19 years later.  It's difficult to get that confidence back. 

I still cringe when I see Eustaquio going in for tackles or getting tackled given his history.

I look at the kick save Sirois made against Vancouver and you have to wonder whether if Crepeau was in that same situation if his reflex would be fast enough to kick his leg up like that or would his instinct to protect himself be the split second difference between a goal and a save?

We're seeing more and more with serious injuries that it takes about a year to heal and then a year to get back to form- he's young and good enough to make a full recovery, but if that means he goes from being a top tier MLS keeper to a middle of the pack one, is that enough for us?

Love Max and hope to see him play big games for us again in the future, but broken legs are no joke.  At least with a hand injury he's more protected, but his legs are totally exposed. A scramble in front of the net, a player steps on his bad leg, and all of a sudden it's not a question of whether he'll play for Canada again, it's a question of what his post-career regular life mobility might look like.

Edited by InglewoodJack

A bit off topic to this current discussion, but Sirois has been amazing. He still needs a lot of work with the ball at his feet, but I see no reason for Pantemis to start straight away when he comes back. Pantemis's injury has accelerated his playing time, but I think it's now inevitable that Sirois will win the starting spot. 

Of course we'll see some mistakes like last game along the way, but I find him to be a proper keeper and the closest, potential wise, to DSC.

For now, as 3rd keeper, I'd still bring up McGill to the NT as long as Sirois is still playing for Montreal. But there's no better morale booster than being called up and that's why I hope the selection prioritizes young proven hard working guys that actually play games and not sit on the bench.

37 minutes ago, BLennard said:

A bit off topic to this current discussion, but Sirois has been amazing. He still needs a lot of work with the ball at his feet, but I see no reason for Pantemis to start straight away when he comes back. Pantemis's injury has accelerated his playing time, but I think it's now inevitable that Sirois will win the starting spot. 

Of course we'll see some mistakes like last game along the way, but I find him to be a proper keeper and the closest, potential wise, to DSC.

For now, as 3rd keeper, I'd still bring up McGill to the NT as long as Sirois is still playing for Montreal. But there's no better morale booster than being called up and that's why I hope the selection prioritizes young proven hard working guys that actually play games and not sit on the bench.

Pantemis came back a few weeks ago and has mostly been on the bench

What I have seen of Sirois this year, he is already better than Pantemis so I doubt the latter gets his starting job back unless the former’s form dips.  I am quite high on Sirois being in the competition for the starting job in 26 for us with St Clair and possibly one of McGill, Odunze, and Goodman if they pick us and start to play regularly at the premiership level.

I would not be surprised to see Sirois get sold to Europe in the next year or two