Jonathan Sirois

Dominic94

19 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Sirois is an imperfect keeper. I think his positioning is suspect and his lack of size makes makes these sorts of errors more fatal. You can't change your height, but he's only 22, and this feels like more of a soccer IQ thing and that comes with age. He's a baby as far as keeper age goes. Obviously our best young goalie by a significant margin, regardless.

I think by Copa America time Luka Gavran will be considered at the same level. 

23 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I'd say mcgill is near sirios's level. The kid from bordeaux could get there soon as hes a few years younger. Goodman is a potential look as well but seems a step behind. 

Some updates on the names you mentioned.  Goodman is not in the Elite League (formerly u20s) Squad for England for their upcoming games (he had a couple appearances last year).  Another (much younger than McGill) Brighton keeper is. 

Goodman has been playing regularly on a bad team in League 2.

McGill was getting oppurtunities in the League Trophy (6 games total) and on the bench in the Europa League.  They are finished in both now. 

35 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Some updates on the names you mentioned.  Goodman is not in the Elite League (formerly u20s) Squad for England for their upcoming games (he had a couple appearances last year).  Another (much younger than McGill) Brighton keeper is. 

Goodman has been playing regularly on a bad team in League 2.

McGill was getting oppurtunities in the League Trophy (6 games total) and on the bench in the Europa League.  They are finished in both now. 

Thanks for the update! 

With GK's typically not starting until they are much older, its a bit of a gamble to compare McGill on the bench for brighton vs sirios starting in the MLS. Would Mcgill start in the MLS as well? Does Mcgill springboard to a prem starter when hes 25 and just has a less clear path? Maybe hes loaned next year to the championship? 

Sirios appears to be ahead of them but I wouldn't say hes absolutely miles ahead of mcgill as our #1 young gk prospec, although not against this idea either (he is clear of goodman). 

Would you say Sirios has substantial distance on mcgill?  

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think by Copa America time Luka Gavran will be considered at the same level. 

That would be great. Is he going to be able to get his starts in to make that happen once Johnson comes back? Haven’t watched much of him, didn’t realize he was 6’6. Having a player like that in the mix would be awesome.

6 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Thanks for the update! 

With GK's typically not starting until they are much older, its a bit of a gamble to compare McGill on the bench for brighton vs sirios starting in the MLS. Would Mcgill start in the MLS as well? Does Mcgill springboard to a prem starter when hes 25 and just has a less clear path? Maybe hes loaned next year to the championship? 

Sirios appears to be ahead of them but I wouldn't say hes absolutely miles ahead of mcgill as our #1 young gk prospec, although not against this idea either (he is clear of goodman). 

Would you say Sirios has substantial distance on mcgill?  

I don’t think McGill can be compared to Sirois- I think Mcgill’s last professional start came before Sirois even played for Valour? Goodman is playing a low level and Swiderski (?) still plays youth soccer I think. Not to say any of them can’t become very good, but Sirois starting every game in MLS since he was 21 is a big achievement.  I wouldn’t consider Sirois a prospect more so than a young professional who hasn’t reached his peak yet. More in the Kone camp than the LDF camp, so to speak.

15 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

That would be great. Is he going to be able to get his starts in to make that happen once Johnson comes back? Haven’t watched much of him, didn’t realize he was 6’6. Having a player like that in the mix would be awesome.

I don’t think McGill can be compared to Sirois- I think Mcgill’s last professional start came before Sirois even played for Valour? Goodman is playing a low level and Swiderski (?) still plays youth soccer I think. Not to say any of them can’t become very good, but Sirois starting every game in MLS since he was 21 is a big achievement.  I wouldn’t consider Sirois a prospect more so than a young professional who hasn’t reached his peak yet. More in the Kone camp than the LDF camp, so to speak.

That's not really true. He is getting paid and 75% of teams in the League Trophy (and 100% of the teams he faced)  are full-professional teams from League 1 and 2.  As I said he played all 6 games there this year for the Brighton under21s. 

They looked pretty good and were the last academy side in it until it all fell apart (essentially in a 5 minute span before half) in the game against the eventually finalist Wycome. (Some ex and on loan players West Ham players at Wycombe) 

You can judge him as playing at a League 2 fairly I think.

I agree he needs regular work at a higher level for us to get really excited. 

30 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think people need to pump the brakes on Gavran for a fair while yet.  Once Johnson gets back to full fitness, he'll be the clear number 1 for this year.  

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

^^^ Agreed, but its nice to have a trickling pipeline of keepers forcing their way into starting jobs.  I sure hope the recent "hype" on Gavran wont make BigM go on a vendetta against him.  

Or the other extreme of, "What top five league suits him best?"

25 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

That's not really true. He is getting paid and 75% of teams in the League Trophy (and 100% of the teams he faced)  are full-professional teams from League 1 and 2.  As I said he played all 6 games there this year for the Brighton under21s. 

They looked pretty good and were the last academy side in it until it all fell apart (essentially in a 5 minute span before half) in the game against the eventually finalist Wycome. (Some ex and on loan players West Ham players at Wycombe) 

You can judge him as playing at a League 2 fairly I think.

I agree he needs regular work at a higher level for us to get really excited. 

I was being a bit reductive with McGill's experience, but I do think he needs real experience at a relatively high level and soon. Considering Brighton has at least one younger option than him ahead in the pipeline, and despite the number of games they play in any given year, the fact that they haven't been able to find one single game- not even a friendly I don't believe- for him to get a crack at, I'm not sure how long that "BHA player" tag is going to keep carrying weight. He came out to our camp and put in the work to get into the mix, so I'll always root for him, but I hope he finally gets his loan (or sale) to a team willing to give him the starting gig sooner than later, and hopefully this summer.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

I was being a bit reductive with McGill's experience, but I do think he needs real experience at a relatively high level and soon. Considering Brighton has at least one younger option than him ahead in the pipeline, and despite the number of games they play in any given year, the fact that they haven't been able to find one single game- not even a friendly I don't believe- for him to get a crack at, I'm not sure how long that "BHA player" tag is going to keep carrying weight. He came out to our camp and put in the work to get into the mix, so I'll always root for him, but I hope he finally gets his loan (or sale) to a team willing to give him the starting gig sooner than later, and hopefully this summer.

He has some England u17 and some u20 (again not u21) which also shows talent.  But yes he needs regular play somewhere.   (He is also another not huge keeper, something worth considering as we move on from Borjan and even Vitoria)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fresh Prince of MTL said:

He is so solid, just exuding confidence this season. I think he can steal the starter’s spot for the national team by 2026

GK spot is up for grabs imo. Crepeau is solid but he isn't outstanding and a lot could change in this year alone. Also from what I've seen, he looks like one our best GKs with the ball at his feet.

What, he wasnt drubbed out of the league for that wind blown goal???  Very happy for him, big fan of his (hehe go Valour), but this is still only his 2nd year starting in MLS and he is 22.  I'd say he and St Clair are still waiting in the wings.  I like my keeper to be a little more grizzled, more seasoned and prob Crepeau should keep the number one and I dont think we have seen the last of Borjan yet either.  But for this winter, if they all keep playing like they have been it'll be a 3 way toss up.  Oh such delicious goal keeping banquet for the new manager to choose from.   

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I dont think we have seen the last of Borjan yet either.  

Context is important though.  We need to keep up with where and how players are competing and turn the page from 2021.

Borjan has faced 9 shots in his last 6 games playing on a team leading the league by some 20 points or something crazy like that.  1 loss and 3 draws this season.  Those stats are not because Borjan is THAT good.  His teams market value is 3 times more than the 2nd placed team in that league.  Yet his teams market value is 15m vs the lowest MLS team at 23m.  

All this to say he's not playing at a good enough level to represent CANMNT.  We ain't in 2021 anymore, we need to move on.

I think Sirois is above St. Clair in my depth chart, it’s just the height that bugs me. He did have an incredible game over the weekend. He made an incredible save, diving across net, top corner to bat a sure goal away- one of the nicest saves I’ve ever seen him make. It’s good that his absolute floor is probably going to be “excellent MLS keeper/club legend”. 

14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think Sirois is above St. Clair in my depth chart, it’s just the height that bugs me. He did have an incredible game over the weekend. He made an incredible save, diving across net, top corner to bat a sure goal away- one of the nicest saves I’ve ever seen him make. It’s good that his absolute floor is probably going to be “excellent MLS keeper/club legend”. 

Agree.  I also feel It's the reason Crepeau hasn't found himself in EU. 

How many points/games has DSC stolen for Minnesota the past year?  DSC does the job and looks the part, but Sirois has that game changing attitude, skill and intensity in him.  He's got that whole Patrick Roy thing happening where he's just able to reach another level compared to the guys around him.

Perhaps posture plays into it or the data is skewed, but surprisingly there is only 1" between DSC and Sirois.  6'3" vs 6'2", with Crepeau at 5'11".

Edited by costarg

5 minutes ago, costarg said:

Agree.   SI also feel It's the reason Crepeau hasn't found himself in EU. 

Perhaps posture plays into it or the data is skewed, but surprisingly there is only 1" between DSC and Sirois.  6'3" vs nn6'2", with Crepeau at 5'11".

Some guys play bigger than their heights in regard to their command of their penalty area.  With Vancouver, Crepeau displayed a big presence in catching crosses.  The other two tended to be punchers when I saw them last season.

However, big/tall, and athletic guys will have an edge at times.  A few weeks back, I  saw the under 6 foot Takaoka get beaten on a curling lob shot a taller keeper might have been able to get a hand to and he also lacks presence with crosses in congested penalty areas.

40 minutes ago, costarg said:

Agree.  I also feel It's the reason Crepeau hasn't found himself in EU. 

How many points/games has DSC stolen for Minnesota the past year?  DSC does the job and looks the part, but Sirois has that game changing attitude, skill and intensity in him.  He's got that whole Patrick Roy thing happening where he's just able to reach another level compared to the guys around him.

Perhaps posture plays into it or the data is skewed, but surprisingly there is only 1" between DSC and Sirois.  6'3" vs 6'2", with Crepeau at 5'11".

I think Sirois is listed at 6'0 no? CF Montreal posted a picture of their starting 11 from the game last week and he's standing beside Sosa (6'2) and Campbell (6'1) and looks a bit shorter than them. Hard to compare height since they could be standing differently, but I've always thought he was closer to 5'11 than 6'1. That's the only reason I think there's a chance he does cap out along the lines of Crepeau- solid MLS keeper who will either keep Montreal relatively competitive over the next decade or make his way to a contender at some point. If he was a comfortable 6'3-4 or something, I think it would be safe to book his ticket to europe this winter. Even 6'2 would make him an average sized keeper, and since his talent is definitely not average, I think he could really perform well overseas.

You mention Patrick Roy- I see some Carey Price in him, especially young ~2011ish Price. You practically watch him in nets with your hands over your eyes because he's liable to let in a bad one in at any time, but he more than makes up for it with saves very few keepers should actually be able to make. Agreed on DSC. He's looked fine for Canada, but we're going on like nearly 2 years since he had an elite run of form at club. I think against Netherlands and France you need to go Crepeau for both and play your best possible starting XI, but I'd love to see Sirois tested against these types of world class talents.

Edited by InglewoodJack