Jonathan Sirois

Dominic94

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Apparently he will return to Valour later.

I've said it before but if it similar to the Telfer deal in 2019 that makes the CPL look like a farm league which is not at all what they need to be seen as.

100%. 

If it isn't a season long loan, and I really don't give a damn what troubles befall the parent club, there is zero reason these sorts of loans should be allowed by CPL HQ.  What's more Valour FC themselves shouldn't be getting into these agreements.

For the obvious reasons.

He's be recalled to Montreal, Gale should tell him to stay there.  Give the development time to somebody else's prospect under more agreeable terms to Valour.

Good luck!

12 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

100%. 

If it isn't a season long loan, and I really don't give a damn what troubles befall the parent club, there is zero reason these sorts of loans should be allowed by CPL HQ.  What's more Valour FC themselves shouldn't be getting into these agreements.

For the obvious reasons.

He's be recalled to Montreal, Gale should tell him to stay there.  Give the development time to somebody else's prospect under more agreeable terms to Valour.

Good luck!

He’s a top prospect, and has been the best GK in the league and you want Valour to tell him to stay because he’s literally earned this shot ? How many players are seriously earning recall’s? Are you aware that there are loaned players in the league that can’t be recalled ? Last I checked MTL’s own goalie asked to be released, not something that was planned for and one isn’t able to play. There is nothing wrong with this unplanned situation.

There has to be a clause in there about a recall, emergencies blah blah etc.  Sucks for Valour, but they must have known it might be coming.  It does kind of make it look like farm team, if guys are shuttling back and forth.  Which is something I think we all wanted to avoid.  Still its good for teams and MLS academy kids to see that there is another pathway to getting over that "hump" and getting the playing time needed to crack the first team. Good for him, I hope they use him...give him a start, although Breza looked ok.  

44 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

He’s a top prospect, and has been the best GK in the league and you want Valour to tell him to stay because he’s literally earned this shot ? How many players are seriously earning recall’s? Are you aware that there are loaned players in the league that can’t be recalled ? Last I checked MTL’s own goalie asked to be released, not something that was planned for and one isn’t able to play. There is nothing wrong with this unplanned situation.

I honestly don't know where to begin. 

Too many different angles on why allowing a loaned player to be recalled mid-season is a horrible idea for the CPL to post a response that wouldn't be 5,000 words so I'm going to compress it as much as I possible can.  And as much as this might sound emotional it's not meant to be.  It's cold-hard-business. 

No one buying tickets to Valour matches cares what Montreal's goalkeeping problems are.   

No one buying ticket to see their home team take on Valour cares what Montreal's goalkeeping problems are.   

Everyone buying ticket to Valour matches cares that a player that's become an important integration in that team will be disruptively removed from that team not because of injury but because of contractual obligations.  Contactual obligations which should have been entirely avoidable. 

CPL should care because J. Sirois is exactly the sort of player they're competing with MLS for.  The sort of players who needs playing time and will take a pay cut to get it.  To invest in themselves as it were.  And to hopefully provide CPL with a financial return, as modest as it might be. 

Unless of course they don't have to.  I mean why would a guy play for CPL dollars when he can just get the minutes he needs, but MLS can't offer, while collecting MLS wages that CPL can't offer? 

I'd bet 99% of the small community that is this forum would never have heard of J. Sirious if he hadn't logged 11 matches and 1,000 minutes with Valour.

I'd also bet if J. Sirous hadn't used those 11 matches and 1,000 minutes with Valour to show his potential Montreal would be looking to the marketplace for solutions to their goalkeeping problems. 

Stay in Montreal.  Set the precident.  Just to try to get Valour better terms on the next loan deal/investment.

Ridiculous situation.  Absolutely ridiculous. 

5 hours ago, VinceA said:

Apparently he will return to Valour later.

I've said it before but if it similar to the Telfer deal in 2019 that makes the CPL look like a farm league which is not at all what they need to be seen as.

The parent club owns the player. Sirois is earning $71,167.00 this season. Clearly Valour isn’t paying that or they might have rights here. 

Welcome to world football. Valour benefitted from having a player for free and now his owner needs him. And clearly the player wants to move up a level too. Good for him, good for Valour too.

^ 100%.  

Not attacking Sirois in any way, shape or form.  He's absolutely done his part to make this arrangement work.  He's just the grunt getting sent from work site to work site.

Still think he should just stay in Montreal.

Am attacking the potential for a CPL team who are half way into the season losing one of their stand out players, one of the leagues stand out players, because of a telephone call from Montreal. 

Cant wait to see how they report that on canpl.ca or OneSoccer.  Some very generous spin I'm sure.  "He's earned the call up!" blah, blah, blah.  Not a lot of "the league just got weaker" or "struggling Valour lose star keeper".

I hope this turns into a happy accident.  That SOMEHOW this sort of loan agreement being allowed is just an oversight and CPL HQ will immediately correct it.

You see that?  I just gave the league an graceful out.    

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I say send Gale to Montreal, swing a dead cat around and he'll probably hit a decent goalie for us.  

Sign the kid from Blainville. He looked good and guaranteed is making less than CPL wages. 

Yes this sucks, but it is the economic reality. For now. Once the league starts to sell some players on, gain some notoriety, sell some media rights, etc. then teams won’t need to lean on the loan as one possible tool for survival. It’s not the only tool though, even now. Valour uses it more than others. It was working and now it’s not, but it’s one situation. CPL isn’t going to completely remove access to one tool to raise the quality of play in its league, scuppering the long term goal to prevent short term setbacks. Teams have to deal with setbacks all the time for all manner of reasons. 

Yes it sucks, but move on. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, PastPros said:

The lack of depth was abundantly clear in the last 30mins - on the upside, lots of Canadians will get minutes this season.

Offence is a little anemic, but it’s year one of the new cycle.

Trading Torres hurts, Zouhir and co on the bench need time, in 3 years this code could be the union. We could use a difference maker up top, but the plan takes time.

8 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Offence is a little anemic, but it’s year one of the new cycle.

Trading Torres hurts, Zouhir and co on the bench need time, in 3 years this code could be the union. We could use a difference maker up top, but the plan takes time.

Agree, except for Torres.  I think the young kids could replace him quicky with no real gap.  I feel Torres was all flash and no photo