Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

@Unnamed Trialist must be fine with his development, but I for one am growing impatient with where he's at right now. Call me fickle but I thought he'd be playing regular first team football somewhere by now. Too talented a player not to be playing somewhere regularly at a decent level. Elsewhere in Liga Nos, La Liga 2, the SPL...any such level would be better than playing U23 ball, unless of course a first team place is there for the taking.

If he starts cracking the 1st team bench this season I will be thrilled.

If he can become a regular with the B squad I will be contented.

Anything less and he needs to depart. He'll soon be 21. I get the value of being a Sporting player, but others his age (and younger) have already played a game for the first team. Can he make the jump this season?

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

@Unnamed Trialist must be fine with his development, but I for one am growing impatient with where he's at right now. Call me fickle but I thought he'd be playing regular first team football somewhere by now. Too talented a player not to be playing somewhere regularly at a decent level. Elsewhere in Liga Nos, La Liga 2, the SPL...any such level would be better than playing U23 ball, unless of course a first team place is there for the taking.

If he starts cracking the 1st team bench this season I will be thrilled.

If he can become a regular with the B squad I will be contented.

Anything less and he needs to depart. He'll soon be 21. I get the value of being a Sporting player, but others his age (and younger) have already played a game for the first team. Can he make the jump this season?

Word is he's on the outside with the club and not always even training with the team.  I assume the club tried to off-load him in the summer and for whatever reason it didn't happen.  Hopefully he can find a new home in January at whatever level/league will take him and he can bounce back.  He is a talented boy, or atleast was.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is he with the first team because they want to play him for is he there as an extra body to practice against- their Adam Pearlman if you will? Seems from a few posts up he’s not in their plans anymore so instead of him playing for the B team might as well go and help the first team train. 

Im not sure you bring your least valued players to prep the squad for a europa league tie.  I think you bring guys that can help.

Just now, Bigandy said:

Im not sure you bring your least valued players to prep the squad for a europa league tie.  I think you bring guys that can help.

The more valuable players have their own games to focus on. Aside from Dias, one call up looks like B's captain, but the other is a keeper who has played one game and let in 3 goals to lose 3-0. Not to knock the kid or anything, but from what we're hearing, Sporting doesn't rate him highly, he's not playing in B games, it would be out of nowhere if they suddenly decide that he should train with the main team because he's this good.

27 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I would love to believe that but my read on it is the same as @InglewoodJack. You don't necessarily need your best B or U23 players for training. All of these guys are competent enough technically to engage in shadow play, set pieces, or just touch drills, what ever the Sporting first team guys are doing. 

But all of that said, it's great to hear he's with the first team, helping them prep. The flip side of it is that being around the first team is going to be good for him no matter how you cut it. I am happy @JasonDias came in to give us that report. 

49 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

The more valuable players have their own games to focus on. Aside from Dias, one call up looks like B's captain, but the other is a keeper who has played one game and let in 3 goals to lose 3-0. Not to knock the kid or anything, but from what we're hearing, Sporting doesn't rate him highly, he's not playing in B games, it would be out of nowhere if they suddenly decide that he should train with the main team because he's this good.

Isnt the B's captain pretty much the best B team player? Why would they pick the captain if the best B team players have their own games to worry about. He was injured up until september 26th. That makes sense why he wasnt playing games... Pinto is also a portugal u19 GK. Those are not the type of players who are on the "outs".

All we know is that:
1. theres some posts on here that hes on the outside of the club.
2. Hes training with the first team
3. He still has a contract with sporting
4. he had a recent injury

Im not saying theres no possibility, but where is the evidence to suggest hes on the outside of the club. you dont bring players to the first team training if you are trying to cut ties with the player. 

Edited by Bigandy

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would love to believe that but my read on it is the same as @InglewoodJack. You don't necessarily need your best B or U23 players for training. All of these guys are competent enough technically to engage in shadow play, set pieces, or just touch drills, what ever the Sporting first team guys are doing. 

But all of that said, it's great to hear he's with the first team, helping them prep. The flip side of it is that being around the first team is going to be good for him no matter how you cut it. I am happy @JasonDias came in to give us that report. 

Im not even saying that you bring your best players.... but you certainly dont bring youre worst.

"Dias isnt good enough for the B team. We need to cancel his contract. Why dont we get him into the first team squad training for a europa league game".  

Something doesnt add up with that logic......

12 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Im not even saying that you bring your best players.... but you certainly dont bring youre worst.

"Dias isnt good enough for the B team. We need to cancel his contract. Why dont we get him into the first team squad training for a europa league game".  

Something doesnt add up with that logic......

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you about the bolded. That's why I am happy to hear he's there. 

My whole thing around Dias is that he needs to play first team ball soon. He's already 20 years old. Believe me, I am happy he's with the first team and it will help him for sure. It gives me a little bit of comfort, but I don't necessarily think it means he's going to make his first team debut this season. Obviously would love to be wrong here.

24 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Isnt the B's captain pretty much the best B team player? Why would they pick the captain if the best B team players have their own games to worry about. He was injured up until september 26th. That makes sense why he wasnt playing games... Pinto is also a portugal u19 GK. Those are not the type of players who are on the "outs".

All we know is that:

It's interesting the B captain is there and it's certainly a good sign if he and Dias were the players chosen to train and travel with Sporting's first team. 

26 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Im not saying theres no possibility, but where is the evidence to suggest hes on the outside of the club. you dont bring players to the first team training if you are trying to cut ties with the player. 

I think rumours of an SPL move suggested he could be on his way out, but it was the suggestion from @Unnamed Trialist that 4 or 5 others like him could be waiting in the wings that helped fuel the narrative he's unwanted - which I don't actually believe to be true. I simply think it's a numbers game being at such a big club as a 20 year old player that hasn't played for the first team yet, which many B players younger than him have already done.

Things can change quickly and whether he's very close to the first team or just a warm body - he's in the right place at the moment, training with the first team ahead of a European match. 

34 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

All we know is that:

His own brother confirmed that there was interest in Scotland last summer, especially from Hearts. Even ignoring any of the other rumours, why then, would Sporting suddenly rate a player they tried shipping off to a smaller club in a smaller league and who hasn't played since? He was an unused sub for the U23s last week. Either he's in training purely for training purposes, or apparently this player who they tried to get rid of is suddenly going to skip playing for the B team completely and just jump into the lineup for one of Portugal's big clubs? That doesn't make much sense at all.

32 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

His own brother confirmed that there was interest in Scotland last summer, especially from Hearts. Even ignoring any of the other rumours, why then, would Sporting suddenly rate a player they tried shipping off to a smaller club in a smaller league and who hasn't played since? He was an unused sub for the U23s last week. Either he's in training purely for training purposes, or apparently this player who they tried to get rid of is suddenly going to skip playing for the B team completely and just jump into the lineup for one of Portugal's big clubs? That doesn't make much sense at all.

I dont think rumours mean very much. It easily could have been a loan. It also could be that the club is willing to listen to offers but in the end decided against selling him because they think they can get more later. 
Theres a flaw in logic to assume a rumoured transfer means a player is on the outs. 

No one said hes going to jump into the lineup.  Youre changing the goal post and that is not the point ive ever stated.  My point is that its unlikely he is on the "outs" if hes being called up to first team training with the B team captain and a u19 portugal GK. 

As for his lack of playing time, there was a post on here that said he was injured until last week.  it makes alot more sense that he's a player viewed with potential, didnt play because of injury and is now with the first team as it will help him get match fit and give him valuable experience as hes a valued player, compared to "he's a player we want to get rid of, lets promote him to the first team before a massive europa league game". 

3 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I dont think rumours mean very much. It easily could have been a loan. It also could be that the club is willing to listen to offers but in the end decided against selling him because they think they can get more later. 
Theres a flaw in logic to assume a rumoured transfer means a player is on the outs. 

No one said hes going to jump into the lineup.  Youre changing the goal post and that is not the point ive ever stated.  My point is that its unlikely he is on the "outs" if hes being called up to first team training with the B team captain and a u19 portugal GK. 

As for his lack of playing time, there was a post on here that said he was injured until last week.  it makes alot more sense that he's a player viewed with potential, didnt play because of injury and is now with the first team as it will help him get match fit and give him valuable experience as hes a valued player, compared to "he's a player we want to get rid of, lets promote him to the first team before a massive europa league game". 

This obsessing over "first team ball" to me is a mistaken approach. I find it puerile.

But it's a bit much when he's called to train for the first team, Sporting announces it when they have no need to, given they have a dozen greater priorities before a UEFA club match, and the same voices keep harping on their erring and rather mean spirited angles.

The important thing is development and minutes playing. 

Kudos to @JasonDias for not feeling he had to respond the the bad mouthers, head up and hold strong.

35 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This obsessing over "first team ball" to me is a mistaken approach. I find it puerile.

But it's a bit much when he's called to train for the first team, Sporting announces it when they have no need to, given they have a dozen greater priorities before a UEFA club match, and the same voices keep harping on their erring and rather mean spirited angles.

Kudos to @JasonDias for not feeling he had to respond the the bad mouthers, head up and hold strong.

Your imagination is running wild again. Nobody here is bad mouthing Dias or Sporting. 

I will badmouth your obsession with youth ball though :D

52 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

You're saying rumours don't matter, but then you go on to talk about potential situations that maybe might've happened. What we know is that there was interest in sending him to Scotland, his own brother said so. We know he's never played for the B team yet, and we also know that he finished last year with the U23s coming off the bench. I don't want to knock the kid because I still hope he can be very good for us, but based on his development over the last year, you think it's more likely that they're calling him up because they value him and not because he's a player they can use in training because he's not playing anywhere else? That doesn't make sense to me.

51 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

On one hand you're saying obsessing over first team ball is bad, on the other, you're considering people downplaying his appearances with the first team as "Bad mouthing"- make it make sense!

I hope he continues to grow and develop, I just don't think there is much to read into his appearance with Sporting, just like there wasn't much to read into Adam Pearlman being called in to train with Canada.

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

You're saying rumours don't matter, but then you go on to talk about potential situations that maybe might've happened. What we know is that there was interest in sending him to Scotland, his own brother said so. We know he's never played for the B team yet, and we also know that he finished last year with the U23s coming off the bench. I don't want to knock the kid because I still hope he can be very good for us, but based on his development over the last year, you think it's more likely that they're calling him up because they value him and not because he's a player they can use in training because he's not playing anywhere else? That doesn't make sense to me.

Not to be pedandtic but he has played for the B team. He played for them 16 times from 2020-2022. The concern for me is that he hasn't added to that total in well over a year. He was out injured for some time, but it wasn't a year long injury I don't think. This season will tell a lot about where he is at if he can stay healthy. 

And to the one accussing us of being badmouthers, I will say that as a fan I think it's perfectly normal to be concerned about the development of one of our top prospects. 

Edited by Obinna

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Not to be pedandtic but he has played for the B team. He played for them 16 times from 2020-2022. The concern for me is that he hasn't added to that total in well over a year. He was out injured for some time, but it wasn't a year long injury I don't think. This season will tell a lot about where he is at if he can stay healthy. 

And to the one accussing us of being badmouthers, I will say that as a fan I think it's perfectly normal to be concerned about the development of one of our top prospects. 

Weren't those games with the U23? Per transfermarkt, he made two bench apps for the B team, both in August '22.