Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

Would be a great move.

Would really let us see how good this kid is, playing in the same division as Bair, Paton and of course Loturi. Aberdeen are stronger than Motherwell and definitely Ross County, at least traditionally, so if that holds true and he goes there and does well he's probably in CanMNT call-up territory. 

It's also just a rumour, so I will try not to get too ahead of myself. 

I was going to rant about how a move to Aberdeen as was rumoured would have been better, but here's a positive spin: U23s (far as I know) get there chance to train with the first team, if they are doing well. That's been the case with Dias for a while, so for all we know he has a breakout year with the U23s, gets more time with the B team (which he's played for in the past), and gets a look with the first team. All of this is certainly possible and since he's been in this situation for multiple years now (U23 team with B apperances), maybe this is the year it all comes together for him. 

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I was going to rant about how a move to Aberdeen as was rumoured would have been better, but here's a positive spin: U23s (far as I know) get there chance to train with the first team, if they are doing well. That's been the case with Dias for a while, so for all we know he has a breakout year with the U23s, gets more time with the B team (which he's played for in the past), and gets a look with the first team. All of this is certainly possible and since he's been in this situation for multiple years now (U23 team with B apperances), maybe this is the year it all comes together for him. 

The fact he’s still playing at U23 level tells me the opposite in fact, his first B appearance was in 2021 and he hasn’t established himself as a starter. More likely Sporting staff don’t value him highly and he eventually joins a lower tier Euro team or comes back to North America

43 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is my understanding. U23 is not the B team. The B team is the B team. The U23 team is the team under that. They may play in 3rd tier, but look it up for yourselves to confirm. 

According to Soccerway Sporting II play in the Liga 3 (3rd tier)

Their U23 team plays in a U23 league that isn't part of the Pyramid 

16 minutes ago, phresh said:

The fact he’s still playing at U23 level tells me the opposite in fact, his first B appearance was in 2021 and he hasn’t established himself as a starter. More likely Sporting staff don’t value him highly and he eventually joins a lower tier Euro team or comes back to North America

Have to agree with this

1 hour ago, devioustrevor said:

I'm guessing Lucas Dias is such a common name that finding one specific dude named Lucas Dias would be like trying to find a specific John Smith at a John Smith convention?

In this case all the results were like a bag of hammers at a nail convention

1 hour ago, phresh said:

Logic would say this is most likely, despite me trying to see the situation in optimistic terms. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just as a reference, these are the kind of players that are being called to the Portugal U21 squad:

https://www.fpf.pt/pt/News/Todas-as-notícias/Notícia/news/41214/contextid/176

Essugo plays mostly with Sporting B but has gotten time with the first team.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dário_Essugo

I hate to say it but at the moment Lucas Dias seems very very far from either a senior #CanMNT call-up or a Portugal U21 call-up.

I wish him all the best this season and hope he proves me wrong and gets to play with Sporting B instead of just the U23s.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Just as a reference, these are the kind of players that are being called to the Portugal U21 squad:

https://www.fpf.pt/pt/News/Todas-as-notícias/Notícia/news/41214/contextid/176

Essugo plays mostly with Sporting B but has gotten time with the first team.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dário_Essugo

I hate to say it but at the moment Lucas Dias seems very very far from either a senior #CanMNT call-up or a Portugal U21 call-up.

I wish him all the best this season and hope he proves me wrong and gets to play with Sporting B instead of just the U23s.

He's 20 now and still playing reserve ball. Staying at Sporting at this point is doing him no favours. 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

He's 20 now and still playing reserve ball. Staying at Sporting at this point is doing him no favours. 

Reserve ball at a major club at age 20 is never a problem. 

It is being proven that most Canadians that opt for first team minutes too early crash out and get pushed back anyways. Then we have chronic problems with overall tactical nous and skills, even Phonzie (poor first touch), that were never worked out when the player was young. If you are on the second team of a modest club, it is different. At Sporting the level is extremely high, they produce world class players, and you will develop still. 

If you've seen Lucas (not sure how many here have seen games, I watched a few in Youth League), he's skilled, disciplined, maybe not so flashy and not earth-shaking, and physically slight and probably needs to mature that way. Also, he's not a striker, so his value is not measured in goals.

There's another thing, which is that the club itself will let a player know when they don't want him, or if he needs a loan to get minutes. If he's not released, and not loaned out, not sold, that is a decision on the part of the Sporting technical staff. So I think we should respect it.

On 8/13/2023 at 11:04 PM, Obinna said:

This is my understanding. U23 is not the B team. The B team is the B team. The U23 team is the team under that. They may play in 3rd tier, but look it up for yourselves to confirm. 

There's a separate U-23 league in Portugal apparently:

https://www.transfermarkt.pt/liga-revelacao-u23/startseite/wettbewerb/PT23