USA National Team Watch

Macksam

On 9/28/2020 at 4:12 PM, Obinna said:

Also posted in the Larin thread:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soccer/seven-american-players-to-watch-in-final-weeks-of-transfer-window/ar-BB19vOtP

Tyler Boyd, Besiktas

The only reason the newly-minted USMNT man would be sold is if the Turkish side needs his international slot to acquire reinforcements at another position.

The 25-year-old winger has started all five of Besiktas’ matches this season between domestic play, Europa League, and the Champions League. He’s scored once, bringing his total with the Turkish side to four goals in 33 outings.

Where would he go? Doubtful he wants to go anywhere, but Rizespor has been mentioned. Besiktas’ other foreigners include two Canadians in Cyle Larin and Atiba Hutchinson.

Indeed it is Boyd who is the odd one out.

Speculation was that someone would have to move to keep Beşiktaş under the foreign limit. That is where the Larin to AZ Alkmaar rumours began. Jermaine Lens was another one speculated to depart. In the end, it is Boyd who will sit out and to make matters worse the transfer window is closed, so he is now frozen out until the window opens in January. 

Sucks for him and the USMNT, Berhalter is not too happy, but I am glad it is not Larin. As I expected, they will want him to compete with Aboubakar, who arrived from Porto with an extensive injury history. Meanwhile, Yalcin at 21 is not one to rely upon in the event Aboubakar is a bust. Besides, the young Turkish international is a different sort of player from what I saw recently.

At any rate, Larin will stay at Beşiktaş for the time being. Good news for the CanMNT. Unfortunate for Boyd, but it is what it is. Tough luck.

On 10/4/2020 at 11:07 AM, Obinna said:

Pretty sure both of Pulisic's parents played as well. At least his Dad did for sure, his mom may have been an NCAA athlete in another sport. Cannot recall for sure. Having a dad as a star soccer player in NCAA is different than having your dad be Claudio Reyna though. Still, I would say Pulisic was also bred to play soccer.

I was just pointing out that I REALLY  like Reyna. Boy can play.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/10/12/sergino-dest-us-mens-national-team-can-achieve-world-cup-greatness

I feel [the excitement], everybody feels it," Dest said. "I think because we have more players that play for big clubs, that's why everyone is excited that we can really achieve something in the upcoming World Cups. Everyone has to keep motivated and keep hungry because I feel like we can do it. If we just work hard and as a team, everything can be achieved.

One criticism of this young generation is that they are missing that traditional American scrappiness that marked the last great generation of Dempsey, Donavan and co. This young group is undoubtedly the most talented group ever, but I can see why people question their identity. Case in point, here we have Dest getting excited for the big things they can achieve at future world cups. I understand it, but generations past would be solely focused on getting back there. And maybe it is unfair criticism from me, since Dest was not part of the last cycle, but my point stands. I think getting ahead of themselves may be the Achilles heel to an otherwise super talented generation. Some of their own fans have called them entitled, which is a little far, but I know what they mean. The group should walk the walk before they talk the talk. They haven’t achieved anything yet. Maybe winning Nations League or Gold Cup would be a good start.

Edited by Obinna

The two players who've impressed me most recently in a US shirt were Dest and Boyd. Reyna is also looking good in club competition. I think its a good thing for us that Concacaf as a whole gains more credibility. I believe that by the time 2022 rolls around, we'll be considered a solid 3rd in the region 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

They have as much reason to be excited about their generation as we do ours, but seeing as Canada havent done anything either, we cant really talk now can we. 

And we are not. Do you remember when Davies was saying that to the media? Neither do I. 

Maybe the USA players should focus on how they are going to get back to the world cup first before they start dreaming about how deep they can go? 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

The two players who've impressed me most recently in a US shirt were Dest and Boyd. Reyna is also looking good in club competition. I think its a good thing for us that Concacaf as a whole gains more credibility. I believe that by the time 2022 rolls around, we'll be considered a solid 3rd in the region 

By our close association, American players doing well in Europe (specially players with ties to MLS academies) will benefit Canadian prospective talents as well in the long run

Edited by LeoH037

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

a midfield of Reyna-Mckennie-Adams is gonna be real scary

16 hours ago, Obinna said:

And we are not. Do you remember when Davies was saying that to the media? Neither do I. 

Maybe the USA players should focus on how they are going to get back to the world cup first before they start dreaming about how deep they can go? 

Dest has been a big talker and quite quotable. Given he hasn't really lived in the US and doesn't appear to have done his homework on American soccer, even some American supporters think he needs to step back a bit.

Good to be confident but some of his statements shows he is a young guy who isn't aware of his blind spots.

Edited by red card

24 minutes ago, red card said:

Dest has been a big talker and quite quotable. Given he hasn't really lived in the US and doesn't appear to have done his homework on American soccer, even some American supporters think he needs to step back a bit.

Good to be confident but some of his statements shows he is a young guy who isn't aware of his blind spots.

I totally agree.

In fact, in a way it is good to have someone like that in your camp. His youthful naivety could be a breath of fresh air. The problem is he is surrounded with other young players who are also big talkers. Remember McKennie`s comments ahead of the October game at BMOSomething about showing us they are the top dogs in concacaf or something like that.

That is the kind of arrogance that marks this young, talented USA generation. Gone are the days of a humble, hardworking group.

If they can rediscover that streak and combine it with their talent, they can be a real force. Until then I am pegging them to be talented underachievers and 2nd to Mexico. 

Edited by Obinna

Honestly, one of the biggest problems I can see with the current USMNT is that the team appears to be filled with big personalities, with the added challenge of youthful naivety, and quite frankly, Berhalter doesn't strike me as someone able to keep them in check, which could probably hold the team back another qualifier cycle. Soccer in CONCACAF is hard, its not the same playing in the best fields in Europe, as having to go play under the scorching heat of a hostile San Pedro Sula or San Jose. Nothing really prepares a player for that experience.

I took a look at how FIFA21 rates the Canada and US teams based on potential:

Davies and David come in at #1 and #2, and then USA takes spots #3-24, with Eustaquio at #25.

If you rank them solely on current potential, Hutchinson, Borjan and Cavallini join Davies and David in the Top 25.

I don't know how impartial the process is when deciding player ratings and potential, but I think it points a little to how much more depth the US has on us.

fifa21.png

1 minute ago, TOcanadafan said:

Davies and David come in at #1 and #2, and then USA takes spots #3-24, with Eustaquio at #25.

If you rank them solely on current potential, Hutchinson, Borjan and Cavallini join Davies and David in the Top 25.

I don't know how impartial the process is when deciding player ratings and potential, but I think it points a little to how much more depth the US has on us.

fifa21.png

I do not know how potential differs from current potential. What I do know is that potential is subjective and not guaranteed to be fulfilled.

Surprised that Millar or Tabla do not land somewhere on that list.

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I do not know how potential differs from current potential. What I do know is that potential is subjective and not guaranteed to be fulfilled.

Surprised that Millar or Tabla do not land somewhere on that list.

When Tabla was at Barca he was a 82 potential IIRC. this would put him 2 above Eustaquio potential wise. As for Millar, a move to the championship would probably boost his potential. I expect Nelson/Rutty to go up as they get more pro minutes as well

32 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

fifa21.png

The US being 3-24 does sound bad but to be fair a lot of our prospects sit around the 72-78 range which is a huge jump from what it has been for us in the past. That would put most of our good young guys in the top 25 in the near future 

7 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

When Tabla was at Barca he was a 82 potential IIRC. this would put him 2 above Eustaquio potential wise. As for Millar, a move to the championship would probably boost his potential. I expect Nelson/Rutty to go up as they get more pro minutes as well

Thanks for the breakdown. To me that shows how fickle it is. I take it with a big grain of salt.

• 4 weeks later...