Theo Corbeanu

jordan

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

When one of the midfielders on the roster is nearly 40 years old I don't think it's the best idea to skimp on midfield depth.

Well, we'll see how Kaye does coming back from injury. I think Corbeanu could be a decent CAM.

His opener for Blackpool was near the top of the box. It's true the GK made a terrible error, but Corbeanu reminded me a bit of David in how he closed down the defender.

I don’t think anyone is claiming the Koleosho would be brought at the expense of a clearly better option solely for the purpose of cap-tying him.  I think the idea is that if he is playing minutes in La Liga and others aren’t clearly outperforming him, it is a pretty tempting tie-breaker to consider when deciding among young guns to fill a final roster spot.  

3 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

The last sentence in my original post answers that question.

So if another player is deemed to be performing 1% higher than Koleosho coming into the World Cup, you don't think Herdman would call up Koleosho to cap tie him, when he is potentially going to be the third most talented player in our talent pool? Realistically, the 25/26th players are only going to barely see the pitch, if at all. If Koleosho would accept a call up and we can give him 10 minutes in one game to cap tie him, you don't think Herdman would see that as an opportunity worth taking? I'm calling bullshit on that. I'm all for meritocracy, but Canada Soccer does not end with the 2022 World Cup. Being able to cap tie a 17 year old who is already playing in La Liga counts for something.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t think anyone is claiming the Koleosho would be brought at the expense of a clearly better option solely for the purpose of cap-tying him.  I think the idea is that if he is playing minutes in La Liga and others aren’t clearly outperforming him, it is a pretty tempting tie-breaker to consider when deciding among young guns to fill a final roster spot.  

Yes, a tie-breaker is a good way of putting it. You're not losing anything by making Koleosho the last one in the door, as it stands now. If it's between Corbeanu and Koleosho and Corbeanu has scored 10 league goals by then, by all means call up Corbeanu. If it's a toss up, you have to give Koleosho the nod. There's too much potential there to ignore.

How many times during WCQ did JH take more than 24 players?  and when he did the extras were actually injured...like Cav and Vitoria. Even in the last game with fresh legs on the squad he went back to his "regulars" vs  playing Cornelius or Millar. A lot depends on whether JH plans to use a back 4 or 3. If it's a back 4, then you need fewer CBs. In either case JH has shown a propensity to stick with his 20/24 regulars re playing time. 23 players  are locks and that includes Cornelius or possibly Holmes if he is eligible. That's 5 CBs plus Alistar. Leaving  3 spots for Millar, Luca, Theo, Kone, Fraser or take your pick.

I'll say it: probably Koleosho is less versatile than the others. I've never seen him at wing back, never at outside back for cover. Suppose at his age they put him up high for his pace and dribbling, makes sense. Hasn't played enough to have been converted into something else. 

Still, we're not going to use Theo or Millar for defensive cover, only to press up high. And help a bit coming back. Tajon it seems is being reconverted, but he has had serious defensive flaws for Canada. So if he improves defensively he gains a lot. Too early for Luca to be analysed this way, he has 6-8 pro games in total  

10 hours ago, Kadenge said:

How many times during WCQ did JH take more than 24 players?  and when he did the extras were actually injured...like Cav and Vitoria. Even in the last game with fresh legs on the squad he went back to his "regulars" vs  playing Cornelius or Millar. A lot depends on whether JH plans to use a back 4 or 3. If it's a back 4, then you need fewer CBs. In either case JH has shown a propensity to stick with his 20/24 regulars re playing time. 23 players  are locks and that includes Cornelius or possibly Holmes if he is eligible. That's 5 CBs plus Alistar. Leaving  3 spots for Millar, Luca, Theo, Kone, Fraser or take your pick.

There's definitely a lot of competition. While Fraser has had his moments with the national team, I just don't think he can make the squad with the other talent you mentioned.

If I'm Herdman, I take a serious look at the team and get all four of those other guys (Millar, Luca, Theo, Kone) in. It's probably an unpopular opinion and people will say it would disrupt the brotherhood, but these guys are just that good imo. Plus, it would help build chemistry early. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

11 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Millar, Luca and Theo win those spots by a long shot. I don’t think Kone has shown enough to force himself in just yet, and I think Fraser is done with the NT. He’s not even a starter in the Belgian second division anymore I don’t think.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Still way too early obviously, but Blackpool is one point out of promotion playoffs, and Wolverhampton are currently in the relegation zone. Would be hilarious if Theo helps blackpool get promoted while his actual club is relegated. 

And then he moves to Blackpool on a permanent and becomes an EPL starter, wearing the color orange no less.

There has to be a timeline in which this happens, right?

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Blackpool got rid of two players- Virtue & Bowler, I believe at least the latter was sharing minutes with Corbeanu, but I think that this definitely opens up more playing time for Theo.

They brought in Poveda from Leeds to replace Bowler though.