Theo Corbeanu

jordan

5 minutes ago, frmr said:

Have we seen Theo's breakout? We are going to have a hell of a logjam on the wings coming into Qatar. Don't envy Herdman's decision.

Yeah, a guy down in the 3rd tier of English footy (where he was last year) doesn’t present much of a dilemma but if he starts scoring goals in the Championship he may give Herdman a bit of a headache.  The guys he would seem to be competing with for a spot are prob Ugbo, Akinola (prob pretty unlikely to make it), Cav, Miller…? 

With 26 there's room for 2 young players over JH's preferred 24. I think Koleosho if he continues to get mins in La Liga and accepts takes 1 spot. Who gets the other? Theo is making a good case . Don't think the 2 young players will feature much so their inclusion in a forward heavy squad may not be an issue.

36 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

With 26 there's room for 2 young players over JH's preferred 24. I think Koleosho if he continues to get mins in La Liga and accepts takes 1 spot. Who gets the other? Theo is making a good case . Don't think the 2 young players will feature much so their inclusion in a forward heavy squad may not be an issue.

Too many forwards in that scenario. Poor roster construction. There are other areas of the field that you need to bring depth at. No way we add 2 more forwards to our already forward-heavy qualifying ~23. 

36 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Too many forwards in that scenario. Poor roster construction. There are other areas of the field that you need to bring depth at. No way we add 2 more forwards to our already forward-heavy qualifying ~23. 

It is true that our extra spots seem destined to attacking players.

But at least they can come on in a sub situation or cover an injury. If you drop you level too much just to cover a position you are weaker at, then you know that player is useless to you, you may not even want to risk subbing him in. 

Then you have to think that some of our more attacking players can covert to more defensive positions. Starting with Davies, who could be pushed back in support of the back line if we are defending a result. Herdman seems to think Atiba could go back in the CB line. There are options that way, and then you throw one of the younger guys in to be the countering or hold up forward, because you'd figure either Theor or Luca would do it competently and not be overwhelmed by the moment.

Espanyol plays Real Madrid at home tomorrow btw, see if Koleosho gets any minutes.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, footballfreak said:

It’s rare that we sub defenders though. It’s usually a midfielder and then attackers. Corbeanu could definitely be super sub material, a player who is showing that he will hound tired defenders and is more than able to take players on and create chances. Definitely a possibility he’s one of the last names in the squad. 

Cautiously excited about him. To put it in context, Richie Laryea was one of Canada’s best players and we were up in arms that he was only getting garbage time minutes in the championship, and Theo is scoring goals at 20. Nowhere the same context obviously, but if he truly is breaking out, Wolves are definitely gonna have to take a hard look at him very soon, as should Herdman. 

also, roster construction be damned with guys like Koleosho and Corbeanu. I see guys like them as players you can insert as a Hail Mary when all hope is lost in one of our three games. Much like earlier today, Theo is a guy you insert at the 80th minute against Croatia when you’re down 1-0 and you just need something. I think he can make things happen that few of our guys can.

53 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Then you have to think that some of our more attacking players can covert to more defensive positions.

In addition to Davies, Jnr is now playing wingback at Reading so he could sub in for either Laryea or Osorio. He has played as an attacking mid for Canada and now will have more experience on the defensive side of the game

54 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It is true that our extra spots seem destined to attacking players.

But at least they can come on in a sub situation or cover an injury. If you drop you level too much just to cover a position you are weaker at, then you know that player is useless to you, you may not even want to risk subbing him in. 

Then you have to think that some of our more attacking players can covert to more defensive positions. Starting with Davies, who could be pushed back in support of the back line if we are defending a result. Herdman seems to think Atiba could go back in the CB line. There are options that way, and then you throw one of the younger guys in to be the countering or hold up forward, because you'd figure either Theor or Luca would do it competently and not be overwhelmed by the moment.

Espanyol plays Real Madrid at home tomorrow btw, see if Koleosho gets any minutes.

We have MLS startering defenders not in the 26 in Waterman and McNaughton. Waterman starts week in, week out with 2 of our other backline starters. He is a more natural addition than 2 extra forwards. We also have Cornelius, in a position of extreme need that cannot be filled by anyone but Miller and Kennedy - who has struggled to find minutes early in the season, and is injured by a stiff breeze. We probably won’t see both Cornelius and Waterman, but you have to think one of the extra slots goes to one of them. 

Also, at the most basic strategic level, we need more defending against this quality of opposition. Those defenders are going to be doing more work and incurring higher risk of injury. We need depth in defence more than depth in attack.

And we haven’t even touched on central midfield which is it’s own can of worms.

Make no mistake, I can certainly imagine Corbeanu in the squad. I just think he gets there at the expense of someone else. 

19 minutes ago, frmr said:

It’s rare that we sub defenders though. It’s usually a midfielder and then attackers. Corbeanu could definitely be super sub material, a player who is showing that he will hound tired defenders and is more than able to take players on and create chances. Definitely a possibility he’s one of the last names in the squad. 

I like him as a super sub too, but if he’s at that level it means it’s at the expense of someone else already in the lineup. We don’t need 11 forwards on a team that will spend most of our time defending, I’ve pointed out elsewhere in this thread who I think Corbeanu should replace if he continues to produce.

15 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

We have MLS startering defenders not in the 26 in Waterman and McNaughton. Waterman starts week in, week out with 2 of our other backline starters. He is a more natural addition than 2 extra forwards. We also have Cornelius, in a position of extreme need that cannot be filled by anyone but Miller and Kennedy - who has struggled to find minutes early in the season, and is injured by a stiff breeze. We probably won’t see both Cornelius and Waterman, but you have to think one of the extra slots goes to one of them. 

Also, at the most basic strategic level, we need more defending against this quality of opposition. Those defenders are going to be doing more work and incurring higher risk of injury. We need depth in defence more than depth in attack.

Make no mistake, I can certainly imagine Corbeanu in the squad. I just think he gets there at the expense of someone else. 

I like him as a super sub too, but if he’s at that level it means it’s at the expense of someone else already in the lineup. We don’t need 11 forwards on a team that will spend most of our time defending, I’ve pointed out elsewhere in this thread who I think Corbeanu should replace if he continues to produce.

I'm sure you are right, but we haven't seen Waterman or McNaughton in a camp, and Cornelius I think may have had a falling out as he didn't play a minute last qualifiers and wasn't called to Vancouver. 

So Herdman would have to make a statement this upcoming camp. At least two of those defenders. 

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm sure you are right, but we haven't seen Waterman or McNaughton in a camp, and Cornelius I think may have had a falling out as he didn't play a minute last qualifiers and wasn't called to Vancouver. 

So Herdman would have to make a statement this upcoming camp. At least two of those defenders. 

Wasnt Waterman in the camp last march? And Herman should make a statement..bring at least one of those two next time (bringing both would be a pipe dream).  

I agree with the "bring lots of super attacking sub" school of thought, but we are thin in mid and CB.  If Atiba, or Vitoria pick up a knock, we 'll end up needing help there, less so if a winger goes down.  

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Honest opinion: it’s sad, but if Koleosho is committed he comes over Corbeanu simply for the fact one is already cap tied. 

And sadly, I agree.  

50 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

I tend to agree that we shouldn’t go to hard in experimental forwards and omit a competent extra defender like Waterman just so we can load up on bonus young attackers.  As noted above, Koleosho may be a bit of an exception because he seems to be a really high ceiling guy, but I think the rest of the attacking pool gets whittled down pretty quickly.   A guy like Waterman may not be that familiar with the group but he does know what could potentially be half of our back 4 in Millar and Johnston, so he seems like the most natural addition on the back end - even aside from the fact that his team is performing consistently in MLS.   He seems like he should at least be brought into camp in September and given a look.   God forbid if Vitoria goes down with an injury in the buildup to Qatar - we would be left absolutely scrambling. 

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Honest opinion: it’s sad, but if Koleosho is committed he comes over Corbeanu simply for the fact one is already cap tied. 

I get what you’re saying and I think if Koleosho enters 2023 uncapped he’s as good as gone, but… this is the World Cup. I think scoring goals in the EFL is more important than simply playing in La Liga. I think Herdman wants to cap these guys, but at a certain point, you have to bring your best players to our country’s most important games in a generation. 

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

And sadly, I agree.  

I tend to agree that we shouldn’t go to hard in experimental forwards and omit a competent extra defender like Waterman just so we can load up on bonus young attackers.  As noted above, Koleosho may be a bit of an exception because he seems to be a really high ceiling guy, but I think the rest of the attacking pool gets whittled down pretty quickly.   A guy like Waterman may not be that familiar with the group but he does know what could potentially be half of our back 4 in Millar and Johnston, so he seems like the most natural addition on the back end - even aside from the fact that his team is performing consistently in MLS.   He seems like he should at least be brought into camp in September and given a look.   God forbid if Vitoria goes down with an injury in the buildup to Qatar - we would be left absolutely scrambling. 

I agree regarding Vitoria, and I get what you're saying about experimenting with forwards. Honestly, though, I just don't see how you leave Corbeanu off the roster if this continues.

I feel Kaye's spot on the roster could easily be questioned in favour of bringing Corbeanu. I know they don't play the exact same positions, but they are both attacking players. 

45 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I agree regarding Vitoria, and I get what you're saying about experimenting with forwards. Honestly, though, I just don't see how you leave Corbeanu off the roster if this continues.

I feel Kaye's spot on the roster could easily be questioned in favour of bringing Corbeanu. I know they don't play the exact same positions, but they are both attacking players. 

When one of the midfielders on the roster is nearly 40 years old I don't think it's the best idea to skimp on midfield depth.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I get what you’re saying and I think if Koleosho enters 2023 uncapped he’s as good as gone, but… this is the World Cup. I think scoring goals in the EFL is more important than simply playing in La Liga. I think Herdman wants to cap these guys, but at a certain point, you have to bring your best players to our country’s most important games in a generation. 

I just don’t think it matters when the extra players aren’t going to play anyhow. So why not call someone we can captie if we’re eliminated or down a bunch of goals in any given game? 

56 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I just don’t think it matters when the extra players aren’t going to play anyhow. So why not call someone we can captie if we’re eliminated or down a bunch of goals in any given game? 

I agree Canada met expectations just qualifying with a 26 man roster and co-hosting in 2026 you can’t skip on a potential superstar to add with Davies and david

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

No way is Herdman bringing in a player for the WC just in order to cap him. Performance up to November will be the primary factor in who is called.