Belal Halbouni

CanadaFan123

I think he's gone.

Testing the waters for a Koleosho makes sense. He's young, in demand, and has multiple good choices.

Halbouni is not that. Given Halbouni's age, level of play, and stature on his club team, this seems like a recognition that Syria is the best way to progress his career and most likely way he's going to play in a World Cup.

His path into the Canadian team isn't clear and involves a lot of waiting that could burn a few years of viable international soccer while Syria is willing to call him while playing at a level that Canada will not. And turning his back on Syria is a bad look.

Edited by The Real Marc

• 9 months later...

That’s awesome to hear. I think it’s a massive stretch for him to be in our NT convo, but he seems like a good guy and whatever happens I hope he’s successful

If you go to his Instagram page, every comment is just people spamming the Syrian flag. As a native of a flag spamming soccer nation, I love to see it

Edited by InglewoodJack

42 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

That’s awesome to hear. I think it’s a massive stretch for him to be in our NT convo, but he seems like a good guy and whatever happens I hope he’s successful

If you go to his Instagram page, every comment is just people spamming the Syrian flag. As a native of a flag spamming soccer nation, I love to see it

For those that don't remember (not saying you don't @InglewoodJack) but I believe that ACL injury occurred when playing in his first cap for the Syria National Team.  He had a friend or family member that would come on here occasionally a few years ago and provide some insight into him when he first broke through in Germany.

58 minutes ago, Corazon said:

For those that don't remember (not saying you don't @InglewoodJack) but I believe that ACL injury occurred when playing in his first cap for the Syria National Team.  He had a friend or family member that would come on here occasionally a few years ago and provide some insight into him when he first broke through in Germany.

If I remember correctly, it was during a non-captying tournament 

• 6 months later...
7 minutes ago, phresh said:

Didn't notice at first glance, he's been invited to Vancouver's preseason camp

Missed it too. Well spotted.

Screenshot_20240113_123139_Chrome.jpg.89b1e3e79563dbffdb88c1ac34cc1658.jpg

https://canadiansoccerdaily.com/2024/01/11/whitecaps-belal-halbouni-report/

Never played a B2 minute it seems. Long injury layoff.  Probably just trying to restart his career, one that must no longer have any potential at Magdeburg, at least.

Edited by nolando

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like he might be signing for the Whitecaps.

https://x.com/GlassCityFC/status/1754548301452783842?s=20

...so about that one cap...was it cap-tieing?...

If the one appearance was binding he would be next eligible for 🇨🇦 September 24th 2025. 

For a scenario of Belal playing well enough to reach CMNT consideration, that could likely assume Syria would have called him during that period. Just depends if he is firmly committed to Syria at those points. 

Signing for a MLS and making it to that Canadian National consideration point wouldn't be easy though. Still good move for him if true.

22 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Looks like he might be signing for the Whitecaps.

https://x.com/GlassCityFC/status/1754548301452783842?s=20

...so about that one cap...was it cap-tieing?...

If the one appearance was binding he would be next eligible for 🇨🇦 September 24th 2025. 

For a scenario of Belal playing well enough to reach CMNT consideration, that could likely assume Syria would have called him during that period. Just depends if he is firmly committed to Syria at those points. 

Signing for a MLS and making it to that Canadian National consideration point wouldn't be easy though. Still good move for him if true.

No, it was a friendly. He's still eligible for us

If he can start for whitecaps, he will instantly be a CMNT call up prospect. Likely in the heibert/waterman etc category but with a few extra years on his side, he could become a fantastic stop gap at RCB until JKL or LDF are fully ready. Although bombito, ZMG and kennedy/cornelius on the right are currently ahead of him for that role and can maintain it until the youngsters are ready. 

59 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

If he can start for whitecaps, he will instantly be a CMNT call up prospect. Likely in the heibert/waterman etc category but with a few extra years on his side, he could become a fantastic stop gap at RCB until JKL or LDF are fully ready. Although bombito, ZMG and kennedy/cornelius on the right are currently ahead of him for that role and can maintain it until the youngsters are ready. 

Eh to me he just adds to a growing logjam of MLS CBs where no one is really ahead of anyone else. Except maybe Miller but that's just because of tenure.

edit: Also no guarantee he gets meaningful minutes with the Whitecaps. We see how they generally handle Canadian CBs.

Edited by VinceA

Kinda hope he plays for Syria, just because he suffered a horrible injury that set his career back playing for them. Would be a shame for their national team if after all that, he decides that he’s too good for them and will play for us. Unless, of course, he becomes a world class CB, then it’s time for him to come home. But I’m fine if he decides to commit to Syria. 

24 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Eh to me he just adds to a growing logjam of MLS CBs where no one is really ahead of anyone else. Except maybe Miller but that's just because of tenure.

edit: Also no guarantee he gets meaningful minutes with the Whitecaps. We see how they generally handle Canadian CBs.

100% and thats the sentiment I tried to get across. Although our RCB options are really thin and unproven so the spot is open right now. It's unlikely but we could see cornelius, miller, bombito (as DM and CM cover), vitoria (experience...although hes likely done by the time halbouni is established) and halbouni called up and this would likely be the most balanced call up. Of course this assumes alot about halbouni's progression and you could make the case that mcnaughton for halbouni gives us the same balance. 

From the little that I've seen of him, he didn't really excite me. Not someone I would put in the national team picture right now, but here's hoping he has a meteoric rise. He's 24 so he should be approaching his peak presently.