The Road to Qatar.

Binky

31 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

These games could lead to 14 competivie games against good competition in the next 9 months. Not including Gold Cup games. This alone is exciting.

The thing that bothers me the most is that if we don't make it to the Octo we will have very few games lined up after the Gold Cup. And we all know how effective the CSA is with lining up friendlies.

If we make the Octo do we actually get to play at home?

It's one thing to find a way past Suriname and Haiti/Nicaragua without a home field advantage, but we're already a bubble team for the half spot, so we can't afford to throw away any advantage, including playing in front of our fans.

I know the trend is (very slowly) moving towards re-opening, but Ontario passed a motion to allow emergency measures right up to December 2021, so at the very least that's on the table. I doubt Canada plays in Toronto if the province remains in a "state of emergency".

https://westphaliantimes.com/ford-government-passes-motion-to-extend-emergency-orders-up-to-december-2021/

I know there is more to Canada than Ontario, but that's not a good sign as far as I am concerned. 

Furthermore, the longer Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are exiled, the less likely Canada plays at home in September. 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's one thing to find a way past Suriname and Haiti/Nicaragua without a home field advantage, but we're already a bubble team for the half spot, so we can't afford to throw away any advantage, including playing in front of our fans.

I know the trend is (very slowly) moving towards re-opening, but Ontario passed a motion to allow emergency measures right up to December 2021, so at the very least that's on the table. I doubt Canada plays in Toronto if the province remains in a "state of emergency".

https://westphaliantimes.com/ford-government-passes-motion-to-extend-emergency-orders-up-to-december-2021/

I know there is more to Canada than Ontario, but that's not a good sign as far as I am concerned. 

Furthermore, the longer Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are exiled, the less likely Canada plays at home in September. 

I'm not getting political but really the only thing holding Canada back from hosting games at least from a BC perspective, is the federal government. I think in Ontario the provincial government is trying not to take an L and Tommy Boy has gone too far down the rabbit hole to turn back now. Hopefully BC and Alberta can be Canada's Florida and Texas because we're not turning back now so by the time the fall comes around Ontario and the feds will need to give it up or they'll start to face serious political backlash. Not looking for an argument or trying to offend. Im just saying there will be too big a political cost for policies to remain in place that would restrict Canada from hosting these games post September 

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That first home match vs Honduras would be crucial too. It looks like Ontario is the slowest to reopen though so Alberta, BC and Quebec should be at least available to host 

Edited by Floortom

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not getting political but really the only thing holding Canada back from hosting games at least from a BC perspective, is the federal government. I think in Ontario the provincial government is trying not to take an L and Tommy Boy has gone too far down the rabbit hole to turn back now. Hopefully BC and Alberta can be Canada's Florida and Texas because we're not turning back now so by the time the fall comes around Ontario and the feds will need to give it up or they'll start to face serious political backlash. Not looking for an argument or trying to offend. Im just saying there will be too big a political cost for policies to remain in place that would restrict Canada from hosting these games post September 

Yup second that. Not trying to argue the pros and cons of lockdowns here, or get into politics here, but I did want to mention this now, because I do see the prospect of playing at home in September as a big fat unknown.

September is not that far away, it's basically 3 months.

Edited by Obinna

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

That first home match vs Honduras would be crucial too. It looks like Ontario is the slowest to reopen though so Alberta, BC and Quebec should be at least available to host 

That's my hope, I am just weary the other provinces will follow Ontario's lead. And again, BC and Quebec are not hosting the Caps and Impact. Not exactly the same, but hard to imagine Canada playing at BC place and Vancouver not.

Edmonton perhaps is the best bet, which would be nice for Davies.

Edited by Obinna

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Remember, BC is hosting the Olympic basketbakl qualifying at the end of June.  It’s in Victoria. 

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Remember, BC is hosting the Olympic basketbakl qualifying at the end of June.  It’s in Victoria. 

That's reason for optimism, at least as far as BC is concerned. 

Would we then be looking at Westhills Stadium, or are you thinking BC Place is on the table?

This conversation may have occurred already, but why can they host in Victoria and we can't? Did we even try to host in Victoria? Does playing at the beginning of June instead of the end make the difference?

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Would we then be looking at Westhills Stadium, or are you thinking BC Place is on the table?

This conversation may have occurred already, but why can they host in Victoria and we can't? Did we even try to host in Victoria? Does playing at the beginning of June instead of the end make the difference?

I think if we get thru the next 2 weeks the first thing the CSA does is get on the phone with BC

Looking at the schedule they may want to tie up Sept, Oct, Nov all at once. If they can get a sure thing

I would think Nov & Jan need to be in door regardless. Please save me the "we should play in Nunavut in December" take

Edited by SpursFlu

4 minutes ago, El Diego said:

If the vaccines keep doing their thing then I have zero concern that we'll have a actual home matches for the Ocho. Whether it's with a full stadium is another matter, however.

Some fans would be better than none, but if we are limited to an empty stadium in Canada it is no better than playing in an empty Seat Geek stadium. It might even be more worse given all the core players are now based in the USA or Europe. 

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

These are all questions I’ve wondered myself. I doubt playing in Victoria is any different than Vancouver. I can’t find any information as to how they pulled off playing there. Basketball players are coming from all over the world to play and it seems like the tournament was never in doubt after it was rescheduled last June.  

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I think if we get thru the next 2 weeks the first thing the CSA does is get on the phone with BC

Looking at the schedule they may want to tie up Sept, Oct, Nov all at once. If they can get a sure thing

I would think Nov & Jan need to be in door regardless. Please save me the "we should play in Nunavut in December" take

There is zero reason why matches can't be played outdoors in either Vancouver or Victoria at any time of year. Zero.

37 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

There is zero reason why matches can't be played outdoors in either Vancouver or Victoria at any time of year. Zero.

I agree. I was just referring to where the csa might schedule the games. If they work with BC to schedule September and October. They might as well go ahead and schedule November and January with them because outside of the Big O thats really the only option anyways

7 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

They might as well go ahead and schedule November and January with them because outside of the Big O thats really the only option anyways

Certainly BC for January for the game against USA (though Skydome is an option if anyone is willing to pay the $ required).

But no reason mid-November can't be played pretty much anywhere. Matches have been played at BMO Field in December on more than one occasion. Might even be to our advantage to have a very cold game, as the November games would be against Costa Rica and Mexico!

Edited by nfitz

33 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

In other, non-Canada/CONCACAF related news....the Socceroos played Kuwait this morning in their first match of any sort in 568 DAYS!!!!!

New Zealand hasn't played since 2019 and I don't think they currently have plans to play until 2022!

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Or Montreal. Or Toronto. Both of those cities have held MLS playoffs games in November and no one died. I'm old enough to remember an actual World Cup qualifier at BMO Field in mid-November.

Hell, throw Ottawa and Hamilton in the mix as well.

We don't suffer for lack of choices in this country any longer, even though some cities/venues make more sense than others at times (considering field conditions, logistics, etc.).

All of that said, any potential January home games should absolutely go to BC.

• Admin locked this topic