The Road to Qatar.

Binky

I've been watching a Jamaican football channel hosted by a journalist and holy crap the stories he tells about the JFF incompetence is wild. The fact the team has the potential to be quite strong in spite of it is wild.

The best part is Coach Whitmore doesn't even really like playing with dual nationals and it seems he's being strong-armed into playing them which already sets up a contentious relationship between the UK-born guys and himself.

The next week and a half 2 weeks at least will probably be the most important in our program's history for quite some time because once the Aruba and Suriname games are over and done with, then we have the 2 leg playoff which is days after the Suriname match on such a quick travel turnover. Hardly any rest. But it will all be worth it if we reach our goal. Octagonal being the goal of course.

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

I'm optimistic that we will play home games in September in Canada (with fans). I hope our 3 MLS clubs are also involved in these talks. The CSA needs to get working on this immediately after we clinch our spot in the octogonal

I hope they do the same for the NBA and the MLS as well but then again if Canada goes beyond the 2 leg playoff...I hope our government lets us play our World Cup Qualifiers in Canada whether we play our games in Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton or in Vancouver but also hope this means Toronto FC, Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps can all come home

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Qualifying resumes today. All times ET.

Obviously Suriname v. Bermuda is the most interesting match for us.

Nicaragua will need a win over Belize to have a shot at beating Haiti. They will probably need to run up the score.

image.png.65954351d99a84972bf9b7eb451e0376.png

Hoping Grenada beats Antigua

Also hoping Guyana beats St Kitts to overtake them in their group

Suriname vs Bermuda...I think we can all agree us Canadians are rooting for Bermuda to beat Suriname or even draw with them

Guatemala easily beats St Vincent and the Grenadines

Hoping Dominican Republic beats Barbados...my girlfriend is Dominican so I have somewhat of a vested interest

Also hoping Nicaragua beats Belize by a lot

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Suriname vs Bermuda...I think we can all agree us Canadians are rooting for Bermuda to beat Suriname or even draw with them

Hoping Dominican Republic beats Barbados...my girlfriend is Dominican so I have somewhat of a vested interest

I hope St. Kitts win so that it makes it easier for them to upset T+T

24 minutes ago, narduch said:

I hope St. Kitts win so that it makes it easier for them to upset T+T

I would love:

Montserrat v St Kitts (A v F)

Canada v Nicaragua (B v E)

Curacao v Dom Rep (C v D)

a) Our boys avoid a dangerous trip to Haiti (danger in a non-soccer sense... happy for the challenge on the field)

b) Great CONCACAF David v Goliath stories to get there and continuing Cinderella stories. 

24 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

We need a win here for Bermuda to be 99.99% safe. Otherwise we are leaving things to chance against Suriname.

I'm optimistic that we will play home games in September in Canada (with fans). I hope our 3 MLS clubs are also involved in these talks. The CSA needs to get working on this immediately after we clinch our spot in the octogonal

The MLS clubs have been in constant contact with the government, so there's no reason to assume they're not part of these talks.

As for the CSA, they should be working on this already.

Qualifying resumes today. All times ET.

Obviously Suriname v. Bermuda is the most interesting match for us.

Nicaragua will need a win over Belize to have a shot at beating Haiti. They will probably need to run up the score.

image.png.65954351d99a84972bf9b7eb451e0376.png

To pass the time while waiting for our games.

Grenada eliminated if they lose.
Guyana and Puerto Rico eliminated if Guyana lose.
Bermuda eliminated if they lose.
Saint Vincent eliminated if they draw or lose.
Barbados eliminated if they draw or lose.
Belize eliminated if they draw or lose.

This is just based on me looking over the standings, so there might be mistakes or omissions. These scenarios are purely mathematical, so it doesn't assume any results (for example, El Salvador beating US Virgin Islands tomorrow).

48 minutes ago, Obinna said:

We need a win here for Bermuda to be 99.99% safe. Otherwise we are leaving things to chance against Suriname.

Bermuda is probably going to lose. They left off a lot of experienced players because they are going to go harder at the Gold Cup qualifying tourney (which they have a decent shot at if they can upset Haiti).

The goal for Canada should be to go into the Suriname game with better goal difference so that even a tie is sufficient to advance. We seem to be well on our way to that unless Suriname beats Bermuda 15-0.

image.png.646adaca8eca8219cdb24712895c71fb.png

Edited by narduch

10 hours ago, RS said:

Or Montreal. Or Toronto. Both of those cities have held MLS playoffs games in November and no one died. I'm old enough to remember an actual World Cup qualifier at BMO Field in mid-November.

Hell, throw Ottawa and Hamilton in the mix as well.

We don't suffer for lack of choices in this country any longer, even though some cities/venues make more sense than others at times (considering field conditions, logistics, etc.).

All of that said, any potential January home games should absolutely go to BC.

Toronto held a CONCACAF Champions League game in February a few years ago. I forget the actual temperature but it might have hit -20. I couldn't feel my hands or feet!

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Bermuda is probably going to lose. They left off a lot of experienced players because they are going to go harder at the Gold Cup qualifying tourney (which they have a decent shot at if the can upset Haiti).

The goal for Canada should be to go into the Suriname game with better goal difference so that even a tie is sufficient to advance. We seem to be well on our way to that unless Suriname beats Bermuda 15-0.

Yah - this Bermuda squad is actually weaker than the one we played in March. I don’t think they have much of a chance at all. I’m hoping they can at least keep it close and cause Suriname to play hard for a good portion of the match 

Anyone else feel we’d be better off having no travel in next cycle and having all our games in Florida.  Avoid trips to Central America would be great 

• Admin locked this topic