The Road to Qatar.

Binky

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

So I took understood him to be saying: Why are we acting different than those from other countries with similar values, people and governments?

I work for a company headquartered in Paris and Marseille and I disagree pretty strongly with this characterization.  Very different mindsets in my experience.

Also, I think the situations between Europe and North America are pretty different.

56 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah but they can all be grouped under "Western world", as he said.

So I took understood him to be saying: Why are we acting different than those from other countries with similar values, people and governments?

You can’t group all “western world” countries into one simple pot and say they have similar priorities, values and context.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

I work for a company headquartered in Paris and Marseille and I disagree pretty strongly with this characterization.  Very different mindsets in my experience.

Also, I think the situations between Europe and North America are pretty different.

The mindsets are different, sure. Canada is more similar to France than say China. It is relative. 

Yeah there must be a difference that explains why France has fans in the stands and we don't (well, Montreal is trying, which is sort of ironic). The difference is less obvious than say New Zealand. They are an island with low case totals. France still has plenty of cases.

44 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

You can’t group all “western world” countries into one simple pot and say they have similar priorities, values and context.

Why not? They share commonalities in people, values and government. That is why New Zealand is part of the "western world" despite their geography in the Eastern Hemisphere.

Yes context is different, which is why I am asking what the difference is between us and France?

Seems to be what @SkuseisLoose was asking too. What do you guys think?

Edited by Obinna

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The mindsets are different, sure. Canada is more similar to France than say China. It is relative. 

Yeah for sure there must be a difference that explains why France has fans in the stands and we don't (well, Montreal is trying, which is sort of ironic). The difference is less obvious than say New Zealand. They are an island with low case totals. France still has plenty of cases.

Why not? They share commonalities in people, values and government. That is why New Zealand is part of the "western world" despite their geography in the Eastern Hemisphere. 

Because there’s many more factors than “people, values and government.” 

I’m not even sure how you would define commonalities in “people” or “government” and if those commonalities are even relevant in determining public health policy.

There’s dozens of nuanced factors that have dictated policy response to this pandemic. There are things that are not easily measurable or tangible like risk aversion, attitudes towards sickness and death and trust in public officials and government. There’s also many more  factors that are more easily identifiable, ones that revolve around social security programs, economic policy and priorities as well as legislation that vary widely from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

13 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Because there’s many more factors than “people, values and government.” 

I’m not even sure how you would define commonalities in “people” or “government” and if those commonalities are even relevant in determining public health policy.

There’s dozens of nuanced factors that have dictated policy response to this pandemic. There are things that are not easily measurable or tangible like risk aversion, attitudes towards sickness and death and trust in public officials and government. There’s also many more  factors that are more easily identifiable, ones that revolve around social security programs, economic policy and priorities as well as legislation that vary widely from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

In China, some people suspected to have the virus were physically locked in their apartment. That was a public health measure that didn't happen in Canada or France, because we place a greater value on human rights and freedoms. 

Edited by Obinna

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

In China, some people suspected to have the virus were physically locked in their apartment. That was a public health measure that didn't happen in Canada or France, because we place a greater value on human rights and freedoms. 

Exactly, there is a wide range of measures that have been enacted.

I would not however consider forced confinement as an apt definition “people” or “governmental” factors in policy response.

In Sweden there is a case of a mother who was confused because she didn't speak Swedish and was getting her news from abroad. She locked her 3 children in separate rooms for 4 months. She's been arrested and the children now have a lawyer. I wonder if we'll see things like this on Canada? Some of these internet addicts are just crawling out of their bunker now and they're looking a little Howard Hughes if you know what Im saying. Its sad

15 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Exactly, there is a wide range of measures that have been enacted.

I would not however consider forced confinement as an apt definition “people” or “governmental” factors in policy response.

Nor would I expect you to as a Canadian, but that was their response. For China, forced confinement was an acceptable measure commanded by government and enforced by people, unfortunately.

All the factors you do speak about shouldn't vary greatly between France, Canada, Netherlands, Belgium, etc. That is why I find it so interesting. All these countries are "relatively" similar. 

It is strange to me that France, a country with (probably) more cases per capita than Canada, allows fans before we do. I am "sure" there is a good reason for it, but that reason is not obvious to me. 

25 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

In Sweden there is a case of a mother who was confused because she didn't speak Swedish and was getting her news from abroad. She locked her 3 children in separate rooms for 4 months. She's been arrested and the children now have a lawyer. I wonder if we'll see things like this on Canada? Some of these internet addicts are just crawling out of their bunker now and they're looking a little Howard Hughes if you know what Im saying. Its sad

Not sure, but I know people who are low risk yet afraid to leave their homes. The mental health damage for them is beyond sad.

That was kind of different than what happened in China. It was the authorities locking people in their homes. 

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

That is why New Zealand is part of the "western world" despite their geography in the Eastern Hemisphere.

From over here, the fact that I have look to the East to see the West Coast of North America suggests that we'll bend the rules to accept Canada as part of the western world even though it is further east. 😀

I was checking out other countries dual nationals. Surprisingly Barbados could be pretty good. Also they would have a pretty easy first group the only real threat would be Panama and if they won the group they would most likely Curaçao in the second round . But if they got their duals man they would have a potent attack.

*Nick Blackman- Maccabees Tel Aviv - Already playing for Barbados

Tom Ince - Stoke city- Championship

Mason Bennett - Millwall - Championship

Nathan Holland - West Ham U23

GK- Jamal Blackman- Rotherham United - Championship ( on loan from Chelsea)

Nesta Guinness-Walker - AFC Wimbledon - League one ( Sir . Alec Guinness grandson) 

Nathan Tyson - Chesterfield FC - Nations League ( old but has played a lot in Championship)

Lewis Montrose - Kidderminster Harriers - ( played a lot in League one and two)

Tom Soares - unattached - has played a lot of Championship and even some games in the premiership-  34 years old. 

also I did see on a fifa 20 squad creator that someone listed CB Jamaal Lascelles - Newcastle has some relations to Barbados but I can’t confirm anywhere else. 

Also it would be cool to have Ashely Cole manage them. He’s coaching with Chelsea’s Academy.

Edited by SpecialK

17 minutes ago, _Roberto_ said:

September 8, 2020 - It is the first day of school in the Covid 19 era. It is also exactly one month to go before the Road to Qatar is scheduled to begin for Canada with a match against Bermuda. Will that happen? Has the Bermudian team booked its flight and made hotel reservations already? Maybe the Director of Communications for Soccer Canada can let Canadian soccer fans know what's up, S.V.P.?

The answer is obviously no Robert.

17 minutes ago, narduch said:

Did CONCACAF officially announce that though? 

No, but FIFA just did!

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/update-on-the-concacaf-qualifiers-for-the-fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022tm

No games 'til March!

2 hours ago, _Roberto_ said:

If it's obvious, then why hasn't it been officially announced by the CSA?

Because they were waiting for FIFA to do it first!

• Admin locked this topic