Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

58 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

With all due respect to the Morgans, Hamiltons and Jay Chapman’s of the world and I know I’ve missed a few more who are theses great Canadian players that TFC had in their Academy and failed to produce and sell ? It’s only now that finally I think we are starting to see some real talents with some real potential of becoming something big. Rutty from what I’m hearing is a special one and Nelson is not that far behind either . But up until now there has not really been any players with this  kind of potential and there a few more younger ones coming through the Academy. Like I said with all due respect to the past young players they had in their system, I don’t think any of them were highly touted as these young players are.

Just in terms of purely being a prospect at around this age, I think that JMR is clearly the highest touted one TFC has ever produced, and Nelson is clearly second with maybe Akinola there in the second tier. Jay Chapman only spent a couple years at the academy before going the NCAA route, but I would put him in the third tier if we were to include him. Okello and Dunn could go bottom of the second tier. Rocco Romeo below them. Ralph Priso I don't know, maybe between Okello and Romeo, but he progressed really quickly. All the opinions of these guys are from perception, not my own scouting.

Then you have the Aron Winter boys of Petrasso, Carreiro, and Aleman. These guys were hyped quite a bit, though again I never watched them at TFC academy myself. I would say maybe they were hyped as much as Okello, with Aleman getting the most buzz.

Andrea Lombardo also sticks out, but I thought it was painfully obvious the second you watched him that he was a poor prospect, and not really a TFC Academy guy.

Going way back, Doneil Henry, Matt Stinson, and Allando Matheson were pretty highly touted if memory serves. Jonathan Lao is another name I remember from that time, but I don't think he was as highly regarded as the guys I just mentioned. Somehow, I actually watched this crop more than the other ones I mentioned. I never thought Stinson, Matheson, or Lao would make it, and Henry has actually exceeded my expectations though I thought he had a chance at being a pro. Morgan slightly exceeded my expectations. I actually remember thinking that if you could combine Stinson and Lao you'd have a really good central midfielder. Nicholas Lindsay had a good impact before his injury, but I don't remember if he was highly touted as a teenager.

Just sticking with JMR's birth year at TFC, I think Pellegrino is considered the closest to him. Then maybe Accettola, or Priso's brother, Hugo M'Bongue. I have seen a few games from that age group, but it's hard to form an opinion.

Of course I would be remiss if I didn't mention Gabe Gala -- the guy who absolutely TORCHED Real Madrid :P

15 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Just in terms of purely being a prospect at around this age, I think that JMR is clearly the highest touted one TFC has ever produced, and Nelson is clearly second with maybe Akinola there in the second tier. Jay Chapman only spent a couple years at the academy before going the NCAA route, but I would put him in the third tier if we were to include him. Okello and Dunn could go bottom of the second tier. Rocco Romeo below them. Ralph Priso I don't know, maybe between Okello and Romeo, but he progressed really quickly. All the opinions of these guys are from perception, not my own scouting.

Then you have the Aron Winter boys of Petrasso, Carreiro, and Aleman. These guys were hyped quite a bit, though again I never watched them at TFC academy myself. I would say maybe they were hyped as much as Okello, with Aleman getting the most buzz.

Andrea Lombardo also sticks out, but I thought it was painfully obvious the second you watched him that he was a poor prospect, and not really a TFC Academy guy.

Going way back, Doneil Henry, Matt Stinson, and Allando Matheson were pretty highly touted if memory serves. Jonathan Lao is another name I remember from that time, but I don't think he was as highly regarded as the guys I just mentioned. Somehow, I actually watched this crop more than the other ones I mentioned. I never thought Stinson, Matheson, or Lao would make it, and Henry has actually exceeded my expectations though I thought he had a chance at being a pro. Morgan slightly exceeded my expectations. I actually remember thinking that if you could combine Stinson and Lao you'd have a really good central midfielder. Nicholas Lindsay had a good impact before his injury, but I don't remember if he was highly touted as a teenager.

Just sticking with JMR's birth year at TFC, I think Pellegrino is considered the closest to him. Then maybe Accettola, or Priso's brother, Hugo M'Bongue. I have seen a few games from that age group, but it's hard to form an opinion.

Of course I would be remiss if I didn't mention Gabe Gala -- the guy who absolutely TORCHED Real Madrid :P

Petrasso was sensational until the injuries robbed him of his pace.  I still remember that Olympic qualifying tournament when he was taking the ball at midfield and running past the entire team. 

When he came back to MLS with Montreal he was unrecognizably slow.

7 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Colyn is doing well in Italy and the whitecaps basically thought he was too good for U19 but not ready for MLS. He impressed in Holland and is making strides in Italy but the Caps got greedy with PSV. If rumours are true SPAL is going to exercise their buy option.

Not sure how valid the rumors are of SPAL purchasing Colyn, if I'm not mistaken he's on his last option year with VWFC anyways.  But definitely not true that Caps got greedy with PSV, there was no offer made.  Don't think Italy is a good place for young players trying to make the jump, especially when he will no longer be eligible for Primavera next season.  Very good youth player, not sure if he can adapt to senior football.  

1 hour ago, Footyeh said:

Not sure how valid the rumors are of SPAL purchasing Colyn, if I'm not mistaken he's on his last option year with VWFC anyways.  But definitely not true that Caps got greedy with PSV, there was no offer made.  Don't think Italy is a good place for young players trying to make the jump, especially when he will no longer be eligible for Primavera next season.  Very good youth player, not sure if he can adapt to senior football.  

They have the option, maybe @glasscity can chime in on the purchase option and what happened in Holland, but he had tweeted that basically the whitecaps wanted more than PSV would pay. 

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I think this gets said every year about the crop coming through.  I'm hopeful that Marshall-Rutty turns into something special, but I think there are even odds on the rest.  I do not have @Dominic94's boundless optimism that Nelsen, Priso, Okello etc. will be sold for big dollar figures to top teams overseas.  If they turn out to be Osorios, that's great.  I've just witnessed far too many Alemans, Aparicios and Petrassos to get too far ahead of myself.

Fair enough, however TFC did turndown 7 figures for Okello only to not play him. 

2 hours ago, El Diego said:

Ive heard that M’Bongue is very good, never heard of Accettila.

did Pellegrino have an offer to sign with TFC ?

Also how do the younger ages look atm ? I guess solely 05-06 because it’s around the age where the first team debuts and contracts are made/signed.

3 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I think this gets said every year about the crop coming through.  I'm hopeful that Marshall-Rutty turns into something special, but I think there are even odds on the rest.  I do not have @Dominic94's boundless optimism that Nelsen, Priso, Okello etc. will be sold for big dollar figures to top teams overseas.  If they turn out to be Osorios, that's great.  I've just witnessed far too many Alemans, Aparicios and Petrassos to get too far ahead of myself.

I say let him be an optimistic cheerleader for our future prospects.  Too many of us have had that optimism beaten out of us.  

15 hours ago, El Diego said:

I don't think they got any press, but I remember scoreboard watching the CSL when TFC played their U19 academy team there (before TFC II existed, and before the CSL match fixing scandals got the league desanctioned). One year I think his name was Stefan Vukevic lead the league in scoring and I thought that meant he would have a future with TFC. The next year Mark Wadid lead the league in scoring and I thought that meant he would have a future with TFC. I don't think either of them actually got close.

Jury is still out on this new class until they start producing at the pro level. Even all the "best prospect in North America" talk for Marshall-Rutty. I hope it's accurate, but it was said by TFC's GM, who stands to profit if he gets sold on. Not exactly an unbiased observer. Others have said nice things about him too, but we will have to wait and see where he lands in the pecking order.

17 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Petrasso was sensational until the injuries robbed him of his pace.  I still remember that Olympic qualifying tournament when he was taking the ball at midfield and running past the entire team. 

When he came back to MLS with Montreal he was unrecognizably slow.

I followed Petrasso closely when he was at QPR, I watched many of his reserve matches where he was dominant at times, when he started getting into the 1st team it looked like his career trajectory was on the way up, as you say injuries completely derailed his career!

43 minutes ago, gator said:

I followed Petrasso closely when he was at QPR, I watched many of his reserve matches where he was dominant at times, when he started getting into the 1st team it looked like his career trajectory was on the way up, as you say injuries completely derailed his career!

I was living in the UK at that time and I remember my roommate messaging me saying he had just watched QPR and asking me about this Canadian kid and raving about how class he looked. 

Let's also remember that Petrasso had 38 appearances for League One clubs as a teenager and was a stud for them. So he was 2-3 years younger than Millar is currently and doing the same thing. 

10 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I was living in the UK at that time and I remember my roommate messaging me saying he had just watched QPR and asking me about this Canadian kid and raving about how class he looked. 

Let's also remember that Petrasso had 38 appearances for League One clubs as a teenager and was a stud for them. So he was 2-3 years younger than Millar is currently and doing the same thing. 

I was at the Canada v England u20 match in Bournemouth and Petrasso was one of the best between the two sides. 

6 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I was at the Canada v England u20 match in Bournemouth and Petrasso was one of the best between the two sides. 

So what happened to him? It has to be injuries unfortunately, injuries have taken away so much from this guy. He had so much promise and was already proving it by playing where he was playing at that young age. I think injuries had already taken their toll on him when he came to the MLS to play for the Impact. The Impact played him as much as they could but in the end you could tell he was already not the same player.

23 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

The floodgates are about to burst open. Dos Santos said nothing had changed and we got lucky, but the talk around MLS is that our academies produce some serious talents. Rollins said that when Roma came over for youth tourneys they were impressed by the raw talent, that’s a nice compliment.

TFC and CF are full of young players, VWFC isn’t empty and those academy centers will bear fruit. Add in the Can PL, Athletico who believe me will find a player or 5, the Sigmas boys and the Belgium connections, and now Bayern is going to look for another Davies. 

it’s going to keep happening, we’ve established that there’s top level talent in Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal and Maybe BC.  (Going by a wonder kid stand point, Davies EDM, David Ottawa, Rutty and Flores Toronto, Ballou in Montreal and finally maybe Collyn and Habbibulah in BC) we will soon reach a point where every year we’re talking about a top young Canadian player. I’ve said this and will keep re iterating, the kids were producing now are the ones that started the game around the time MLS arrived, the age groups after 1999 just keep improving in terms of depth and quality all over. That’s not a coincidence, thats not luck... it’s the impact of the MLS teams, their academies, their scouting and training. They basically produced the can PL player pool, and that’s with basically 3 teams an a few years of 6, and we’ve seen what Sigma is doing.

I predict we will see an Ottawa to Spain pipeline soon, a Sigma to Belgium pipeline and don’t be surprised when Bayern or Dortmund field a team. 

the reality is these things don’t happen by co incidence and clearly every age group is better than the next and has been for a while, we’re trending upwards. We didn’t beat Mexico by chance, we did it because we’re doing something right and let’s be real our youth teams can’t scout for shit we miss so many players.

as the pathway is improved, the players will come, I know our league isn’t strong but the minutes requirement is and if you look at Germany Belgium and Holland that did so much for them and it will pay off here. I’d imagine in even 3 years we won’t just be talking about 1 Rutty, but as many as 5. I’m sure many of you doubt this but we’ve produced this kind of youth talent and some good players with 3 academies, and their pro teams, at a point 4 with sigma and really little pathway.

what happens with 12 pro teams ? And their own academies and partnerships ? And with a bigger better pathway ? It’s soon to be 14 teams. Eventually 16 maybe more. 

I want to believe.

image.png.a5655da3d9ceab420f915503f6d9e452.png

Let's be real, if he's going to any of these teams its to join their academy of other wonder kids (city specifically).
I would rather him get genuine gametime (alas Davies) before making any transfer. So that he can move directly to a first team.

The possibility for him to go from wonder kid at 16 and join any english powerhouse to obscurity or playing League 1 football is great. 

18 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Ive heard that M’Bongue is very good, never heard of Accettila.

did Pellegrino have an offer to sign with TFC ?

Also how do the younger ages look atm ? I guess solely 05-06 because it’s around the age where the first team debuts and contracts are made/signed.

I watched a few of the TFC Academy games where the 04/05's won the championship in addition to the 2019 Concacaf U15 championships, and the following 05's really stood out:

Hugo Mbongue Mbongue - F - Mentioned above, Ralph's younger brother.  Aside from Jahkeele, and the Impact's Assi, Hugo stood out as probably the next best attacker on the group.

Josh Gordon - FB - Played RB at the time but he's been growing over the last 1.5 years and he's been training as a RCB.  Very physically dominant for his age group

Adam Pearlman - CB - He was the captain of the TFC team who won the USSDA championship in 2019.  He's a left footed CB who was born in South Africa but moved to Canada in 2012.  He didn't play with the U15 Canada team, but was at an ID camp in 2019.  Maybe a dual national to watch out for?

Of course, as mentioned by many.  These guys are all very younger of course and things can change, however, answering the original question... I'd say that the TFC Academy does have some talented 05's as well as Jahkeele and the 04's.

Edited by aredding77

1 hour ago, aredding77 said:

I watched a few of the TFC Academy games where the 04/05's won the championship in addition to the 2019 Concacaf U15 championships, and the following 05's really stood out:

Adam Pearlman - CB - He was the captain of the TFC team who won the USSDA championship in 2019.  He's a left footed CB who was born in South Africa but moved to Canada in 2012.  He didn't play with the U15 Canada team, but was at an ID camp in 2019.  Maybe a dual national to watch out for?

Adam Pearlman is not a name I am familiar with, but I think someone has the info incorrect (could be me)? If we are talking about the 2019 u15 USSDA championship, I don't think Pearlman was really a part of that. The USSDA site shows him playing one game for the u15 team in 2018-19: http://tfc.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=7536956. I know that stats for these types of things can be spotty, however. It's also possible we are talking about different things of course, but for the finals I believe Accettola was the captain and the centre back pairing was Markus Pusztahegyi and Michael Shannon. For reference I am talking about this match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0IzFPyq8_8&t=5741s (I have linked it before in other threads, if anyone is interested in TFC/Canadian prospects it's a fun match to watch).

Gordon was a younger guy who appeared to have a versatile role, playing DC, DR, and DM for the u15s. He was noticeably more athletic despite being younger. Hopefully that translates to the next level(s).

1 hour ago, aredding77 said:

Hugo Mbongue Mbongue - F - Mentioned above, Ralph's younger brother.  Aside from Jahkeele, and the Impact's Assi, Hugo stood out as probably the next best attacker on the group.

Josh Gordon - FB - Played RB at the time but he's been growing over the last 1.5 years and he's been training as a RCB.  Very physically dominant for his age group

Of course, as mentioned by many.  These guys are all very younger of course and things can change, however, answering the original question... I'd say that the TFC Academy does have some talented 05's as well as Jahkeele and the 04's.

Will be interesting to keep an eye on them, anyone at Jahkeeles level ? It falls in with what I’ve heard that the younger age groups are strong and keep getting better.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Let's be real, if he's going to any of these teams its to join their academy of other wonder kids (city specifically).
I would rather him get genuine gametime (alas Davies) before making any transfer. So that he can move directly to a first team.

The possibility for him to go from wonder kid at 16 and join any english powerhouse to obscurity or playing League 1 football is great. 

He cannot make an international transfer until his 18th birthday. So, unless he has another passport, he'll be with TFC for the next 16 months.

Kamron Habibullah from Vancouver is a star, hoping this is the year VWFC make use of what they have.  Has been training with the first team for two years now, maybe after Simon they chose to slow down in promoting him.  Not the size, power or athleticism like Davies or Marshall-Rutty, but skill/ability on the ball is unlike anything you see from players from this part of the world.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJNJP7ZFy0h/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHd942TBYOb/