Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

He had a nice 2 player interchange with Bradley in the buildup and then the nice through ball for Laryea who made an absolutely beautiful goal.

Laryea is pure class in MLS but Marshall-Rutty had some nice technical play work there.  He seems more of a technical, high IQ player than a pure physical player that I was expecting for a player this young in MLS.

Just now, baulderdash77 said:

He had a nice 2 player interchange with Bradley in the buildup and then the nice through ball for Laryea who made an absolutely beautiful goal.

Laryea is pure class in MLS but Marshall-Rutty had some nice technical play work there.  He seems more of a technical, high IQ player than a pure physical player that I was expecting for a player this young in MLS.

He won’t be turned into a right back, maybe a 10 though.

thought he did enough to justify his inclusion and show he deserves more time.

He’s not ready to start.  I would like to see Marshall-Rutty play just about every single week at about the 70th minute at RW- like clockwork.  Let him get into a groove playing against grown men but also going against them a bit fatigued.

He’s going to make mistakes but he’s also going to develop quickly and the consistency will be good for his development. 

Let him become a part time starter next season when he has one under his belt.

55 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

If we could have a re-do, would have rather seen him start over useless Delgado on the right.

Delgado was actually one of the better Toronto players today (not saying much), but you're right. He's not looking comfortable out there.

For me, for a kid his age, success is getting some sub minutes and looking like you fit in.  He isn’t physically exceptional in the way that Davies was at that age so I think it will be a fair bit harder for him to have an immediate impact.  Playing against seasoned pros at that age will be a huge ask so if he can just contribute and be effective in the minutes he gets, I think it could be a really positive season. I think it would be unrealistic to expect him to come in and be a game changer at his age - no matter how many big clubs are rumoured to be circling around.  

2 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

If we could have a re-do, would have rather seen him start over useless Delgado on the right.

Dont dare slag Delgado.  Thats the reason I get my eyes checked every season, I swear I am watching a different game than the Delgado fans.  Hes not comfortable on the wing, pace, crossing, 1v1 skill, he doesnt do any of that stuff.  That would have been a good time for Nelsen (if he was healthy) or even dare it say it Endoh would have been better in that spot. 

They'll have to shake up that midfield, try some different combos, so Rutty will get more chances.  He wasnt the worst one out there today.  

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

For me, for a kid his age, success is getting some sub minutes and looking like you fit in.  He isn’t physically exceptional in the way that Davies was at that age so I think it will be a fair bit harder for him to have an immediate impact.  Playing against seasoned pros at that age will be a huge ask so if he can just contribute and be effective in the minutes he gets, I think it could be a really positive season. I think it would be unrealistic to expect him to come in and be a game changer at his age - no matter how many big clubs are rumoured to be circling around.  

He’s supposedly exceptional in the technical and IQ aspects. Coming off the bench I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that he can create more than an Endoh, Dorsey or etc.

Nelsen also needs to play, matter of time till a body is dropped.

I’d imagine we’ll see him at CAM at a point, and on the bench tomorrow. He’s clearly making strides and is on track to break into the starting XI imminently. 

exciting times, after not having any 10’s suddenly we’re flooded with options between Dias, Flores, Habbibullah, Colyn and Rutty.

21 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I’d imagine we’ll see him at CAM at a point, and on the bench tomorrow. He’s clearly making strides and is on track to break into the starting XI imminently. 

exciting times, after not having any 10’s suddenly we’re flooded with options between Dias, Flores, Habbibullah, Colyn and Rutty.

I’m not sure he’s going to be starting any time soon...particularly with the news that TFC might be landing Soteldo, with Osorio / Poz coming back etc. I think consistent minutes as a sub is a big enough of a jump for him. He barely even had any TFCII appearances let’s remember . 

Edited by Floortom

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I’m not sure he’s going to be starting any time soon...particularly with the news that TFC might be landing Soteldo, with Osorio / Poz coming back etc. I think consistent minutes as a sub is a big enough of a jump for him. He barely even had any TFCII appearances let’s remember . 

Maybe I’m reading too much into it but Armas has said Rutty earned the minutes, clearly he is making strides and they think he can earn more. Sounds like he keeps rising to the challenge so no I don’t think it’s big jump for him.

A 14 year old didn’t play much for TFCII ? Not sure that means anything, the physical growth from 14 to 16 can be massive and he didn’t look out of place at all against MTL. 

there’s a few players in the league who didn’t have Rutty’s talent at 16 and still got a start on some strong teams, Bello and Busio come to mind. I believe LAFC started a 16 year old in the playoffs last season as well.

I’ll double down though, he’ll get that start by June barring injury. 

59 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Davies was an anomaly, so lets not raise the bar that high for every "promising talent" (w.e. that means)... as such perhaps it would be wise to stop freaking out that a 16 year old isn't starting games...

Davies didn’t start at first, but other 16 year olds who didn’t have his tools have started Atleast a game in the year they turned 17.