Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

It was actually the only shot on net by TFC all game.

I thought he didn’t look out of place, and he seemed to play the game maturely (or maybe conservatively). The tendency for young players is to get the ball, find the nearest defender and take him on, regardless of whether that is the right thing to do. He seemed smarter than that, but could have just been that he was nervous, feeling out the game, and of course didn’t have much time on the field.

Yeah, I don't think he gave the ball away the whole time he was on the field. Granted, there was less of a press on him than his teammates would have faced earlier on when the outcome of the match was still in doubt, but he played more "heads up" and with his head literally up than we often see from younger players. I mean, take Endoh for example - who is now 27 and still plays with his head down whenever he gets the ball.

25 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Yeah, I don't think he gave the ball away the whole time he was on the field. Granted, there was less of a press on him than his teammates would have faced earlier on when the outcome of the match was still in doubt, but he played more "heads up" and with his head literally up than we often see from younger players. I mean, take Endoh for example - who is now 27 and still plays with his head down whenever he gets the ball.

I guess some players can make a career dribbling with their head down, like Dele Alli. 

For those that were asking about his scoring chance, there is footage of it here:

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/10/26/jack-ralph-debut-all-one-moment-presented-bell?autoplay=true

On it's own it's nothing special.....other than there's a clip of him talking immediately afterwards and you are suddenly remembering that he is probably still going through puberty

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

My bad, I believe MLS camps are supposed to start in January.

Sometimes as early as mid-January

13 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

...excited to see him...

Usually there isn't anything you get to "see" until the training matches they play in early February (although sometimes there are some in late January but I don't think that this will be the case in 2021), which is why I was a little confused.

You have nothing to apologize for my friend. :)

15 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Sometimes as early as mid-January

Usually there isn't anything you get to "see" until the training matches they play in early February (although sometimes there are some in late January but I don't think that this will be the case in 2021), which is why I was a little confused.

You have nothing to apologize for my friend. :)

I just hope the new coach plays him. At 16 Davies was ready and started to break in, I know Marshall Rutty isn’t Davies but he is supposedly a good prospect. Really pissed me off that they signed him to not play him and fuck they’re ruining top prospects.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

From an outsider that seems like an awful lot of hype for a kid with 30 professional minutes under his belt. Is it deserved?

Hard to say until we actually see him on the pitch regularly but he has had a decent amount of hype the last year or two so clearly there is some good talent there.

40 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

From an outsider that seems like an awful lot of hype for a kid with 30 professional minutes under his belt. Is it deserved?

Yes and no, I’m not sure there’s many 2004’s who have played. The reality is that Vanney was heavily criticized for now playing some of the highly rated players, and the club lost and will lose easily 20M$ if this continues.

Rutty is on a similar level as Davies was at 15, and is considered by many to be the best 2004 in North America, Gabriel Pellogrino is another Canadian who is giving him a run for his money.

If Rutty plays and does well, he will be sold for Davies money easily.

Nelsen isn’t as rated but could go for a similar fee as Aaronson while Okello had a 7 figure fee turned down years ago.

I would say that Fraser and Priso would have and will (Priso) go for fees, Dunn may join them for a smaller one eventually.

ice mentioned this but Rutty’s group won the USSDA which is no small feat. This is the golden generation of TFC players academy and just a measure of Talent in area...

Flores, Dias, Rutty, Pellogrino, Millar, Corbeanu, Priso, Nelsen, Dunn, Okello, Fraser, Akinola, Peruzza, Romeo and Abaneth are from the area with most having spent time at TFC.

The take away, the TFC academy produces quality talent as good as any in MLS, but the pro team is probably amongst the worst at integrating young players and getting them from the in between to the 1st team.

anyways, off topic but yes Rutty should be our next David and Davies, and he may get more eyes fast because teams that missed or wrote off Davies will want in this time on a cheaper wonder talent. 

59 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Remember Colyn had similar eyes on him but Vancouver never played him and his value tanked. Let's hope TFC actually play their kids.

Colyn is doing well in Italy and the whitecaps basically thought he was too good for U19 but not ready for MLS. He impressed in Holland and is making strides in Italy but the Caps got greedy with PSV. If rumours are true SPAL is going to exercise their buy option.

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

i have no baseline for assessing this kid but it sure would be nice to have a few more wunderkids emerge between now and the prep for 2026

The floodgates are about to burst open. Dos Santos said nothing had changed and we got lucky, but the talk around MLS is that our academies produce some serious talents. Rollins said that when Roma came over for youth tourneys they were impressed by the raw talent, that’s a nice compliment.

TFC and CF are full of young players, VWFC isn’t empty and those academy centers will bear fruit. Add in the Can PL, Athletico who believe me will find a player or 5, the Sigmas boys and the Belgium connections, and now Bayern is going to look for another Davies. 

it’s going to keep happening, we’ve established that there’s top level talent in Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal and Maybe BC.  (Going by a wonder kid stand point, Davies EDM, David Ottawa, Rutty and Flores Toronto, Ballou in Montreal and finally maybe Collyn and Habbibulah in BC) we will soon reach a point where every year we’re talking about a top young Canadian player. I’ve said this and will keep re iterating, the kids were producing now are the ones that started the game around the time MLS arrived, the age groups after 1999 just keep improving in terms of depth and quality all over. That’s not a coincidence, thats not luck... it’s the impact of the MLS teams, their academies, their scouting and training. They basically produced the can PL player pool, and that’s with basically 3 teams an a few years of 6, and we’ve seen what Sigma is doing.

I predict we will see an Ottawa to Spain pipeline soon, a Sigma to Belgium pipeline and don’t be surprised when Bayern or Dortmund field a team. 

the reality is these things don’t happen by co incidence and clearly every age group is better than the next and has been for a while, we’re trending upwards. We didn’t beat Mexico by chance, we did it because we’re doing something right and let’s be real our youth teams can’t scout for shit we miss so many players.

as the pathway is improved, the players will come, I know our league isn’t strong but the minutes requirement is and if you look at Germany Belgium and Holland that did so much for them and it will pay off here. I’d imagine in even 3 years we won’t just be talking about 1 Rutty, but as many as 5. I’m sure many of you doubt this but we’ve produced this kind of youth talent and some good players with 3 academies, and their pro teams, at a point 4 with sigma and really little pathway.

what happens with 12 pro teams ? And their own academies and partnerships ? And with a bigger better pathway ? It’s soon to be 14 teams. Eventually 16 maybe more. 

With all due respect to the Morgans, Hamiltons and Jay Chapman’s of the world and I know I’ve missed a few more who are theses great Canadian players that TFC had in their Academy and failed to produce and sell ? It’s only now that finally I think we are starting to see some real talents with some real potential of becoming something big. Rutty from what I’m hearing is a special one and Nelson is not that far behind either . But up until now there has not really been any players with this  kind of potential and there a few more younger ones coming through the Academy. Like I said with all due respect to the past young players they had in their system, I don’t think any of them were highly touted as these young players are.

Edited by SoccMan

47 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

With all due respect to the Morgans, Hamiltons and Jay Chapman’s of the world and I know I’ve missed a few more who are theses great Canadian players that TFC had in their Academy and failed to produce and sell ? It’s only now that finally I think we are starting to see some real talents with some real potential of becoming something big. Rutty from what I’m hearing is a special one and Nelson is not that far behind either . But up until now there has not really been any players with this  kind of potential and there a few more younger ones coming through the Academy. Like I said with all due respect to the past young players they had in their system, I don’t think any of them were highly touted as these young players are.

I think this gets said every year about the crop coming through.  I'm hopeful that Marshall-Rutty turns into something special, but I think there are even odds on the rest.  I do not have @Dominic94's boundless optimism that Nelsen, Priso, Okello etc. will be sold for big dollar figures to top teams overseas.  If they turn out to be Osorios, that's great.  I've just witnessed far too many Alemans, Aparicios and Petrassos to get too far ahead of myself.