Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

3 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I would rather they keep KJ and drop Caldwell.

I will say that their panel needed some diversity and a Canadian voice with credibility.  JDG has all of those.

I would rather have someone else.  As for diversity, I would have preferred a retired CWNT player than him.  

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would rather have someone else.  As for diversity, I would have preferred a retired CWNT player than him.  

That thick Scottish accent isn't diverse enough for you? ;)

17 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I would rather they keep KJ and drop Caldwell.

I will say that their panel needed some diversity and a Canadian voice with credibility.  JDG has all of those.

JDG is certainly a credible Canadian voice (something he earned) and certainly adds to the diversity (something he didn't), but do you know what De Guzman doesn't have? A natural talent for verbal communication.

He had a brilliant career for the national team, one of my favorite players who I had all the time for in the world, but that's not going to stop me from being critical. Do people actually enjoy what he brings to the panel, or do they just like the idea of what he brings to the panel? Because right now I will take Caldwell any day of the week over De Guzman, and if we want a former Canadian player give me Dunfield or something. De Guzman just sounds boring, I don't know what it is but I don't find myself getting excited to hear him speak aside from the fact he is a Canadian legend, but that only goes so far..

Hopefully he grows into the role, I know he is new to it, but I got to say he's not my favorite right now..

Edited by Obinna

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That thick Scottish accent isn't diverse enough for you? ;)

JDG is certainly a credible Canadian voice (something he earned) and certainly adds to the diversity (something he didn't), but do you know what De Guzman doesn't have? A natural talent for verbal communication.

He had a brilliant career for the national team, one of my favorite players who I had all the time for in the world, but that's not going to stop me from being critical. Do people actually enjoy what he brings to the panel, or do they just like the idea of what he brings to the panel? Because right now I will take Caldwell any day of the week over De Guzman, and if we want a former Canadian player give me Dunfield or something. De Guzman just sounds boring, I don't know what it is but I don't find myself getting excited to hear him speak aside from the fact he is a Canadian legend, but that only goes so far..

Hopefully he grows into the role, I know he is new to it, but I got to say he's not my favorite right now..

I am still hung up on the whole Fury vs CPL bullshit.  If it wasn’t for that I would be on board for sure.  Some here may think it is overly petty but I lost a lot of respect for him during that period of time.  

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am still hung up on the whole Fury vs CPL bullshit.  If it wasn’t for that I would be on board for sure.  Some here may think it is overly petty but I lost a lot of respect for him during that period of time.  

I always had great respect for him as a player and was constantly defending him when the new to soccer TFC fans continuously slagged him because "he sucks, how many goals has he scored?) He was total class when he came aboard the Voyageurs bus at the team hotel on the way to the match in Havana and spoke to us as team captain and he was quick after the match to marshal the whole team over to the corner of the stadium where we were for and impromptu sing and dance routine! Having said all that his comments and negativity towards the CPL really pissed me off and I haven't got over it!

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So Fury vs CPL aside, is it fair to say you are entertained by him on the panel? Just assuming you are since you said you would be "on board for sure".

If my assumption is correct, how much of you being on board has to do with him entertaining you with the content of his takes versus him entertaining you with his takes because he is de Guzman?

Interested to know what others think as well, maybe in a more appropriate thread if we clutter this one. 

Edited by Obinna

Not to keep derailing the Rutty thread, but when I see DeG on TSN I cant help but get over the Fury baloney bit by bit.  I cant stand Caldwell and Dunfield was terrible when he started too but has grown on me.  Maybe DeG isnt a natural, but I would rather see them at least try and give the CDN a chance. 

What are the chances of Rutty making the lineup for opening day?  Seems like Nelsen and Osorio are probably ready to go.  Shame that TFC2 doesnt start until end of May, would be nice for some of the kids to get fit in USL-1.  

26 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Not to keep derailing the Rutty thread, but when I see DeG on TSN I cant help but get over the Fury baloney bit by bit.  I cant stand Caldwell and Dunfield was terrible when he started too but has grown on me.  Maybe DeG isnt a natural, but I would rather see them at least try and give the CDN a chance. 

What are the chances of Rutty making the lineup for opening day?  Seems like Nelsen and Osorio are probably ready to go.  Shame that TFC2 doesnt start until end of May, would be nice for some of the kids to get fit in USL-1.  

He’s probably on the bench, maybe gets a start. 

Off topic - De Guzman hands down one of my favourite Canadian players of all time.  Had a decent European career and 4 years in top division Spain which is unheard of for a Canadian.  Who can forget his goal against Real Madrid back in the day!  As a Toronto FC fan, his tenure with the club was a bit disappointing.  However, what wasn't disappointing was his performance for Canada.  He was outstanding in both the 2007 & 2009 Gold Cups.  Making the team of the tournament for both and player of the tournament in 2007.

With all that being said, I found his analyzing last year for Toronto FC playoffs (I believe) to be quite poor.  Seemed to spend more time talking about his success and relating everything back to himself.  Seemed to care more about telling other people about what he had accomplished as a player.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

So Fury vs CPL aside, is it fair to say you are entertained by him on the panel? Just assuming you are since you said you would be "on board for sure".

If my assumption is correct, how much of you being on board has to do with him entertaining you with the content of his takes versus him entertaining you with his takes because he is de Guzman?

Interested to know what others think as well, maybe in a more appropriate thread if we clutter this one. 

It isn’t that he is a great analyst.  KJ mops the floor with him (and most people TBH) when it comes to that.  But as a former CMNT player I would always give him the benefit of the doubt and time to grow into the role. If it wasn’t for “Furygate” he would have my full support.  If he becomes involved in a successful  future CPL venture, I will forgive him.  

I.think JDG is fine. The reality is he just shows up and talks so they probably pay him much less than KJ who was responsible for much more. 

I'm not sure if these networks like TSN and ESPN care but its no surprise people are tuning out. I get most of my sports from podcasts or streaming services now. Really just because when you hire for any other reason than who makes the product the best the product suffers. Its all become so cringey and boring I dont even bother. I like what Onesoccer is doing. They seem to give lots of people opportunities and settle on who's the most entertaining