Diyaeddine Abzi

shamrock

9 minutes ago, Metro said:

Did Pacific receive any transfer money for McNaughton and Chung?  (I think I remember only one of them was on a free.)

We got a fee for MacNaughton. Chung left on a free. Alghamdi also went to the Saudi Arabia top flight for free, and he's regularly coming off the bench these days and playing for the Saudi Arabia U23 team. He might be one lost for Canada. Still only 20

Edited by Aird25
'free' not fee

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Waterman for sure. Arguably McNaughton and Chung, though it's early days. Borges and Estevez come to mind as transfer flops, though Borges could return to OH Leuven at some point and change that story. 

Estevez will always be hilarious to me and a total highway robbery. At best he was a okay sub and a definite project for York in the first year of the league and the fact an Eredivisie club (a bad one at that) thought he was a good option for a transfer is amazing.

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Estevez will always be hilarious to me and a total highway robbery. At best he was a okay sub and a definite project for York in the first year of the league and the fact an Eredivisie club (a bad one at that) thought he was a good option for a transfer is amazing.

Small sample size thus far, but the MLS transfers have been arguably successful and the European transfers have been busts. At this point it may be too early to read into that, but it makes you wonder. Maybe being closer lends itself to better scouting....

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Small sample size thus far, but the MLS transfers have been arguably successful and the European transfers have been busts. At this point it may be too early to read into that, but it makes you wonder. Maybe being closer lends itself to better scouting....

Borges, Ongaro, and Abzi are clearly players that had success in CPL. Arguably more so that MacNaughton and Waterman who didn't always shine

13 minutes ago, VinceA said:

So a CPL success story then. 😄

22 minutes ago, Metro said:

Did Pacific receive any transfer money for McNaughton and Chung?  (I think I remember only one of them was on a free.)

May not be the thrust of your question but I would point out that “success”‘for CPL isn’t just about a transfer fee.  For sure, the extra revenue is important- but so is demonstrating to young aspiring playetrs that CPL can be a platform to launch their careers into more lucrative leagues. 

He had some good moments last night in Ottawa.

The Ottawa fans heckled him pretty hard when he took York's corner kicks.

It also looks like his family drove out to Ottawa to see him (mum, dad and 2 kids? ) , I think there were 4 of them all with Abzi York United jerseys. I think his younger brother had the name "Abzi bro" on the back of his.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

24 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Borges, Ongaro, and Abzi are clearly players that had success in CPL. Arguably more so that MacNaughton and Waterman who didn't always shine

For sure, but growth isn't always linear and some players may be better fits in particular situations. Waterman for example was good for Cavalry without being a standout. And despite not standing out he had qualities that made you think he could play at a higher level, and now he's doing exactly that. Borges meanwhile was a standout in the CPL but hasn't yet made the grade in Belgium.

In this comparison I think it's more about the fit (or lack thereof) than about the level of the destination, since Montreal could hold their own in Belgium and vice versa for OH Leuven. 

I am looking forward to see what Abzi can do and whether he can be the first CPL player to really stick in Europe. I rate him highly and I say this without knowing much about Pau, but I think he should be able to carve out a successful stay at the Ligue 2 level. 

Edited by Obinna

57 minutes ago, VinceA said:

It only happened cause their Taiwanese owners wanted him to play for their national team

Just now, Dominic94 said:

To be honest if he plays well he will be in conversation for a spot, Ligue 2 is not a bad level and this transfer is huge for the league IMO.

I'd also add that Ligue 2 is a good enough level to get him into the NT conversation. Especially as back up LB/LWB. He's younger than Gutierrez and Edwards as well.

Just now, VinceA said:

I'd also add that Ligue 2 is a good enough level to get him into the NT conversation. Especially as back up LB/LWB. He's younger than Gutierrez and Edwards as well.

If he does well there he could be in contention for our backup LB, MLS isn’t miles ahead of Ligue 2, and I’m sure some of the bottom clubs would struggle.

6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I personally think that Ligue 2 is a bit low for us, while a 2nd tier of the big 4 in Europe could be different. 

Just think: Pau play in a stadium that is technically too small for CPL, it is rather modest.

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just think: Pau play in a stadium that is technically too small for CPL, it is rather modest.

Thanks for reminding me, I didn't put my usual new transfer table and stadium info

The Nouste Camp is a football stadium and a sports complex located in the Pau suburb of Bizanos in France. The home of Pau FC, it is the smallest stadium in the 2021–22 Ligue 2, with an all-seated capacity of 4,031.

Opened as Nouveau Stade de Pau in 2018, the stadium is Pau FC's new football-specific stadium. After renovations were completed in 2021 to comply with Ligue 2 requirements, the ground was renamed Nouste Camp, which means "Our Ground" in Béarnese. The complex includes several football pitches, including a training pitch with artificial turf.

JqaW6fr.png

fqNj6wE.png

41 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I personally think that Ligue 2 is a bit low for us, while a 2nd tier of the big 4 in Europe could be different. 

Definitely not an expert in that division, but I imagine playing consistently there is enough to get your foot in the door with our national team at the moment, unlike doing so in CPL or USL. I would agree that it may be too low a level to be an everyday call up for Canada at the moment, but it may depend on the particular player or situation. If Abzi's club is pushing for Ligue 1 promotion and he's starting, that's enough for me to call for his inclusion without hesitation. 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Would be a sweet CPL stadium. 

Was reading about it and apparently it's new but they are still arguing about its adequacy. 

I've been through Pau briefly, but in that part of France you have bigger rugby stadiums, and often the football teams are 2nd in line. If you look at the French football map it is sparse near the Pyrenees and in the south-west. So I read they were playing in a much larger rugby facility but were moved out. 

Pau must be a feeder team of sorts, they can't promote and if they stay in 2nd that is an accomplishment. So if he does well there he could move on.