Diyaeddine Abzi

shamrock

Abzi is part of the group travelling north to Lille.

On 1/6/2023 at 7:24 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was confused too. He even appears on a tweet by Montpellier giving starters and subs, as #2. So who knows, now he's 14.

Once again he is listed as #2 but I assume he once again won't be "#2" on matchday.

Obviously David is in the squad for Lille.

https://www.losc.fr/actualites/2023-01-21/le-groupe-convoque-par-paulo-fonseca-pour-losc-pau

It would be cool if they both saw the pitch and traded jerseys at the end of the match.

On 1/9/2023 at 1:39 PM, narduch said:

Hopefully BeIn picks this one up

It is Coupe de France and not Ligue 1 so I have no idea where it will be broadcast.

For those of you in the USA, the match will be broadcast live on Fox Deportes.

Screenshot_20230121_205737_Instagram.jpg

15 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Abzi is part of the group travelling north to Lille.

Once again he is listed as #2 but I assume he once again won't be "#2" on matchday.

Obviously David is in the squad for Lille.

https://www.losc.fr/actualites/2023-01-21/le-groupe-convoque-par-paulo-fonseca-pour-losc-pau

It would be cool if they both saw the pitch and traded jerseys at the end of the match.

It is Coupe de France and not Ligue 1 so I have no idea where it will be broadcast.

For those of you in the USA, the match will be broadcast live on Fox Deportes.

Screenshot_20230121_205737_Instagram.jpg

BeIn has been showing select Coupe de France matches.

They just haven't made this match available on its main channel in Canada. 

They are showing Brest v Lens at 3pm tomorrow and they have PSG's match on Monday 

Edited by narduch

This guy needs a call up. I have been beating that drum here for a while, but he's on pace to break 1500 total minutes this season. He just scored his first goal, and lately has been starting games. Played against two Ligue 1 clubs in the Coup de France. I know we are well set with Adekugbe at left back, but he's 24 and clearly on the upward trajectory. He showed very well in the CPL and is now starting to do likewise with a mid-table Ligue 2 side. I am not necessarily worried about Morocco calling him, I just want to see him rewarded and I want us to add to our depth chart. 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This guy needs a call up. I have been beating that drum here for a while, but he's on pace to break 1500 total minutes this season. He just scored his first goal, and lately has been starting games. Played against two Ligue 1 clubs in the Coup de France. I know we are well set with Adekugbe at left back, but he's 24 and clearly on the upward trajectory. He showed very well in the CPL and is now starting to do likewise with a mid-table Ligue 2 side. I am not necessarily worried about Morocco calling him, I just want to see him rewarded and I want us to add to our depth chart. 

Goal today, assist last game- if he continues to score, I think he's worth a Nations League call up or something. Give him the honorary charles-andreas brym roster spot.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Scored his first goal!

He’s been starting since that cup game against Lille and looks like he’s finally putting it together. 

twitter is saying it was an insane goal, trying to find film

Watch the Lille game on a stream up to when he got subbed and he was probably Pau's best player.

Edited by Snowcrash

24 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

If we have Copa in 2024, I have a feeling we could see a lot of opportunities for guys in Abzi's position because I can't imagine Bayern letting Davies leave two summers in a row for example

Bayern have no say in the matter. If JH calls him both times, and AD wants to play, Bayern's only option is to go fuck themselves. They're not going to freeze out a player of the Phonz's stature, and if they look to move him, he'll have no shortage of options.

34 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Bayern have no say in the matter. If JH calls him both times, and AD wants to play, Bayern's only option is to go fuck themselves. They're not going to freeze out a player of the Phonz's stature, and if they look to move him, he'll have no shortage of options.

I think some people underestimate his commitment to Canada.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

…. I just want to see him rewarded and I want us to add to our depth chart. 

We don’t do this. You have to be playing a certain levels for this to happen, and even then it still depends on the person.

I’ve made my rants about “current form over current level your playing at”, and I feel like this is the downfalls of the brotherhood. 

So when does the brotherhood, become the old boys club?? When they close it off to new members.  If Abzi is still doing well in L2 why wouldnt he get a look and get one of those 3-4 last roster spots that realistically wont play in a window. 3 or 4 of the WC roster will be hanging it up in the next few years, and new players emerge..those are facts of life.  Young duals will commit, guys like Abzi will step forward, if what the WC guys have built is so fragile that Herdman cant work in the new generation this next year as he sees fit, then its not going to carry us forward to the next WC. 

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

So when does the brotherhood, become the old boys club?? When they close it off to new members.  If Abzi is still doing well in L2 why wouldnt he get a look and get one of those 3-4 last roster spots that realistically wont play in a window. 3 or 4 of the WC roster will be hanging it up in the next few years, and new players emerge..those are facts of life.  Young duals will commit, guys like Abzi will step forward, if what the WC guys have built is so fragile that Herdman cant work in the new generation this next year as he sees fit, then its not going to carry us forward to the next WC. 

Maybe Herdman won't even be around 

It’s understandable that Abzi wouldn’t be called yet. He only started playing at a level that garners consideration last summer and by then it was too late. 

I expect that he’ll be called soon if he keeps it up but there are other players who are also fighting for that call up I.e. Edwards (excellent against Bahrain), Bassong and Luca Petrasso.  It’s not easy to break into this Canada side as a wide player.

Edited by CanadaFan123

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s understandable that Abzi wouldn’t be called yet. He only started playing at a level that garners consideration last summer and by then it was too late. 

I expect that he’ll be called soon if he keeps it up but there are other players who are also fighting for that call up I.e. Edwards (excellent against Bahrain), Bassong and Luca Petrasso.  It’s not easy to break into this Canada side as a wide player.

Is Ligue 2 better than MLS ? I guess it’s a mixed bag ?

Petrasso seems to be a LM…

however, Abzi has to compete with Farsi  but hey that’s good because Edwards and Adekugbe aren’t getting younger.

The next duo should end up better than the current duo… (Edwards is next man up if there’s an injury)

let’s not forget Guti could work his way back.

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't have expected him to be in the mix yet, he's only starting to show consistent performances, but again to compare him to Brym, we're cool with calling up one player in a lower division who doesn't necessarily offer a skill no one else offers, but is in good form, so we give him a shot. Liam Fraser is also in that bubble. But if he keeps up this form between now and Nations League team selection, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a look. Could be interesting to start Adekugbe and replace him with Abzi around 65 minutes in- Adekugbe is really pacey and I think shorter appearances would allow him to go all out and feast on some lesser concacaf teams.

I think it'll be really hard for Bassong to make a team, as Romania isn't a particularly strong league, and this is a guy who was deemed not good enough for CF Montreal, so I don't think he's in any immediate plans.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, I wouldn't have expected him to be in the mix yet, he's only starting to show consistent performances, but again to compare him to Brym, we're cool with calling up one player in a lower division who doesn't necessarily offer a skill no one else offers, but is in good form, so we give him a shot. Liam Fraser is also in that bubble. But if he keeps up this form between now and Nations League team selection, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a look. Could be interesting to start Adekugbe and replace him with Abzi around 65 minutes in- Adekugbe is really pacey and I think shorter appearances would allow him to go all out and feast on some lesser concacaf teams.

I think it'll be really hard for Bassong to make a team, as Romania isn't a particularly strong league, and this is a guy who was deemed not good enough for CF Montreal, so I don't think he's in any immediate plans.

It’s not the strongest league but it’s comparable to L2 France so I don’t think Abzi has a foot up in that regard.

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s not the strongest league but it’s comparable to L2 France so I don’t think Abzi has a foot up in that regard.

Curious, what makes you say that? I don't think Ligue 2 is a particularly elite league, but their top teams are Ligue 1 quality, so he's at least playing teams that are probably way better than any Romanian team. Not to say I'm an expert on Romanian soccer, but from what I've heard, it's not a great league.

8 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Curious, what makes you say that? I don't think Ligue 2 is a particularly elite league, but their top teams are Ligue 1 quality, so he's at least playing teams that are probably way better than any Romanian team. Not to say I'm an expert on Romanian soccer, but from what I've heard, it's not a great league.

It’s not the best league, but just like you mention with the top L2 sides the top Romanian clubs get to compete in Europe so they’re decent.

Most of my knowledge is from Canadians playing there so I haven’t followed it closely in recent years but I remember Cluj beating Manchester United away in the champions league around the time Borjan was playing there. Hirschfeld was also there and I remember Ricketts struggling to breakthrough in the first division to give you an idea of the relative level.