Diyaeddine Abzi

shamrock

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He’s been looking really good. Early days, but it feels a bit like a few months ago where Eustaquio went from making cameos for Porto to figuring it out and seemingly taking a step forward every game he plays. Excited to see how he continues to grow. 

Their other LB he's competing for time with is one of the players on the team. I imagine he'd be a more regular starter otherwise. Interview from today.

https://canpl.ca/article/week-after-week-i-get-more-confident-former-york-united-fullback-abzi-thriving-in-france-with-pau-fc

Edited by Aird25

I can't help but repeat myself that Abzi should get a national call soon, possibly even in March. I am not surprised he's found his groove in Ligue 2 now. He's just going to keep getting better. I am not saying we don't call Adekugbe, of course, but clearly Sam is not in the most optimal situation right now. Maybe there is a chance here for us to at least take a look at Abzi and get him some minutes for Canada?

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I can't help but repeat myself that Abzi should get a national call soon, possibly even in March. I am not surprised he's found his groove in Ligue 2 now. He's just going to keep getting better. I am not saying we don't call Adekugbe, of course, but clearly Sam is not in the most optimal situation right now. Maybe there is a chance here for us to at least take a look at Abzi and get him some minutes for Canada?

The way things are looking around the CDN soccer scene right now, there might be a whole lot of new faces in march!  I want to win, I want to qualify for the big tournie etc, but if we can manage that and see Abzi and some others hungry for a chance to wear the jersey and rep their country (silly me I thought that was what it was about, not $$$) maybe something good will come out of this clusterf#vk we are in now.  Sorry not trying to derail the thread, but this crap is starting to make me feel like 2012 again.  Instead of being happy with the WC, our guys thriving in europe, our MLS teams, domestic CPL, burgeoning D3 across the country, ONEsoccer putting out more CDN soccer media content than 5 TSN's and a mild Manitoba winter, I have to hear all about sh#itheads who just realized there was soccer in canada when there is some sort of scandal to write about. Ugghh.  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

The way things are looking around the CDN soccer scene right now, there might be a whole lot of new faces in march!  I want to win, I want to qualify for the big tournie etc, but if we can manage that and see Abzi and some others hungry for a chance to wear the jersey and rep their country (silly me I thought that was what it was about, not $$$) maybe something good will come out of this clusterf#vk we are in now.  Sorry not trying to derail the thread, but this crap is starting to make me feel like 2012 again.  Instead of being happy with the WC, our guys thriving in europe, our MLS teams, domestic CPL, burgeoning D3 across the country, ONEsoccer putting out more CDN soccer media content than 5 TSN's and a mild Manitoba winter, I have to hear all about sh#itheads who just realized there was soccer in canada when there is some sort of scandal to write about. Ugghh.  

For sure. 

Even with a "normal" selection of players, aka our strongest group, I think there's a real argument for Abzi getting selected. Galindo was asked about him on NFP, to which he basically said, "maybe we see him, but it's probably too early". I understand that prerogative, but I still want to see him. I think new faces help freshen up the group. Maybe they help to keep the core guys on their toes as well. Abzi was just voted player of the month for his mid table Ligue 2 club. Now just feels like the perfect time to bring him in. I can't think of a more deserving uncapped and available player at the moment. 

It's probably a bit early, but not sure how much value you're getting from guys like Waterman and Fraser and Brym over a guy like Abzi. I wish that he had started playing like this 6 months ago, I think he'd be a lock by now, but at this pace, I thik he could be a legit cusp player for the gold cup, and bringing him in for Nations League would be an excellent opportunity to check him out closer.

I want to field our A team and really hope we do, but if there's one silver lining in some potential no shows, it's seeing what guys like Abzi and some other new faces can bring to the team.

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

It's probably a bit early, but not sure how much value you're getting from guys like Waterman and Fraser and Brym over a guy like Abzi. I wish that he had started playing like this 6 months ago, I think he'd be a lock by now, but at this pace, I thik he could be a legit cusp player for the gold cup, and bringing him in for Nations League would be an excellent opportunity to check him out closer.

I want to field our A team and really hope we do, but if there's one silver lining in some potential no shows, it's seeing what guys like Abzi and some other new faces can bring to the team.

We are coming to a time where we need to blood in some new faces at the expense of some fringe players like Piette, Millar, Fraser,  Wotherspoon, and Cavallini…. All of these guys have been given substantial amount of opportunities and some haven’t been the difference when called upon.

So why not see some new faces, especially when the current core is about 16 guys. 

Form has to be rewarded, and with the reward of getting national team call-ups it could propel the very same players to new levels. 

Kennedy is seen around here as a top 3 defender in our pool playing in the 2. Bundesliga. If his team gets relegated, is he still worthy of that call?

We need to give guys look when they are “hot” and less about “where they are currently at” (obviously that matters to extent).

On 2/1/2023 at 10:01 AM, Dominic94 said:

Abzi has to compete with.... Edwards

Raheem Edwards ( almost certainly ) got a red card in June and will be suspended for our next match.

Abzi has to compete with.... Adekugbe

Given the disruptions to the Turkish League, it isn't clear yet how much he will have played by late March.

Kennedy ( who plays LB as well as LCB ) is injured with a broken cheekbone.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:37 AM, InglewoodJack said:

I think it'll be really hard for Bassong to make a team

Agreed, Bassong hasn't featured for the #CanMNT for three years now.

let’s not forget Guti could work his way back.

Given that MLS only starts this weekend, will he be able to do it?

We want Laryea at RB to cover for Alistair Johnston who is also suspended for our next match.

For Abzi, if not now, then when?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

10 minutes ago, QBCS said:

Seems like the perfect storm for Abzi. Injuries, suspensions and other factors all add up perfectly.

Yup.

10 minutes ago, QBCS said:

If he keeps up these performances what are the chances of a lower Ligue 1 team picking him up for a couple seasons?

I don't think he is there yet. Very premature talk.

If he solidifies his place as the starting LB with another season at Pau, then maybe.

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Yup.

I don't think he is there yet. Very premature talk.

If he solidifies his place as the starting LB with another season at Pau, then maybe.

Especially with Ligue 1 dropping to 18 teams next year. Could maybe see him get a move to a better Ligue 2 side if he keeps up this form for the rest of the season but as long as Pau don't get relegated he's fine there for another season.

Herdman doesn't care about game time in many situations. Adekugbe not playing much until Nations League won't block a call, or limit his minutes. Remember how much work a lot of the guys did in January last year when many were on limited minutes. Laryea particularly.

31 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

This is quite true, but the fact that we are now entering a new cycle could change things.

Exactly. We all knew well in advance of the World Cup that Herdman wasn't planning on messing with his roster. Who knows if Herdman rates Abzi, but I think it's far more likely we see some new callups now, than they prior to the WC

39 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Crazy how before he even received his award he was somehow sent back to the bench, including as an unused sub two weeks ago.

Not really. While Evans was injured Abzi played 3 matches in 6 days. He probably needed a rest

Edited by Aird25

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...