Diyaeddine Abzi

shamrock

Doing a bit of twitter investigation with his follows and likes, he seems a lot more interested in playing for Morocco than us. I have no clue if Morocco would be interested in a ligue 2 player, even if he’s ascendant, but he engages a lot more with Moroccan stuff than Canadian. I hope we toss him an invite for next window. I think I’m ready to see him called up.

3 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I honestly have a time believing he is even close to that level. Surely they have plenty of LB ahead of him.

would think they’re a pipe dream for him. 

Morocco plays a ton of games and cycles their team a lot- for defenders in the last 12 months, they've called up players who play in Qatar, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt, League 2, Segunda Division, and Portugal. Morocco is definitely a lot more attractive for their players to accept call ups after the world cup, obviously, but for an AFCON qualifier against easy opponents when a few players decide to stay in Europe during the window, why not give him a shot? It's also not only about how close he is, but how close he thinks he is. He's got buzz in Ligue 2, say he goes to a team with promotion aspirations next year, plays well; that's the profile of a player who Morocco could conceivably call up, and say he does improve beyond there, then he's definitely at their level.

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Maybe it went well over my head.

The bridge emoji refers to "faire le pont" , ( the literal translation would be "make the bridge" or "bridge the gap") which means in football to dribble past or through the opposing player.

Put "petit pont football" or "grand pont football" into YouTube and you'll see plenty of examples.

It is simply a tweet praising Abzi's skill and nothing more.

A Ligue 2 corporate account isn't going to know how close he is to a Morocco call-up vs a Canada call-up but they surely have more Morocco National Team fans than Canada fans interacting with them!

Really admire how Abzi was able to transition to a good European league like Ligue 2 from the CPL, and consistently remain in the squad for a full season. A full European season is a grind and he seems to have proven that he can hang at this level. Such an encouraging sign for future CPL exports. If he opts to take his shot with Morocco, fair play to him.

24 minutes ago, FC_Hali said:

Really admire how Abzi was able to transition to a good European league like Ligue 2 from the CPL, and consistently remain in the squad for a full season. A full European season is a grind and he seems to have proven that he can hang at this level. Such an encouraging sign for future CPL exports. If he opts to take his shot with Morocco, fair play to him.

I think it'd be a shame if he played for Morocco instead of us but if he prefers them then there's not much that can be done. With a 24 year old Hakimi and 25 year old Mazraoui set in stone as their starters for the foreseeable future you'd think he'd fancy his chances for us more. 

40 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

I think it'd be a shame if he played for Morocco instead of us but if he prefers them then there's not much that can be done. With a 24 year old Hakimi and 25 year old Mazraoui set in stone as their starters for the foreseeable future you'd think he'd fancy his chances for us more. 

Think Hakimi might have one or two things more important to devote his attention to currently, that might open a spot.

44 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Innocent until proven guilty but "class" act in making his mother a very rich woman.  

The divorce was only announced after the allegations dropped, no?

my “my wife fully trusts me and stands beside me during these tough times” t shirt has people asking many questions already answered by my shirt.

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

The divorce was only announced after the allegations dropped, no?

my “my wife fully trusts me and stands beside me during these tough times” t shirt has people asking many questions already answered by my shirt.

"Dropped" as in: came out, right?  I read that first as if they went away.  Yeah I think the divorce started when the allegations were brewing.  Either way he's cheating. 

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

"Dropped" as in: came out, right?  I read that first as if they went away.  Yeah I think the divorce started when the allegations were brewing.  Either way he's cheating. 

Yeah, that’s what I meant. I heard about the allegations, then a few weeks later, it came out that all his money is actually his mother’s. I also read today that that was fake news, so not sure. I think other celebrities (Mike Tyson I think?) did similar things to protect their money from divorce, so I figure he did *something*.

Regardless. He’s certainly not the sweet little mama’s boy he was painted as at the World Cup though!

4 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Beating out Davies or Adekugbe for a spot is that much easier?

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, VinceA said:

I could swear someone mentioned that  Abzi's reps said he was going to move to a Segunda Division club this summer.

Never heard of that, but seems like a bit of wishful thinking, unless it's a bottom club or a newly promoted one. 

Just now, Kadenge said:

Is Abzi committed to Canada?  I'm hearing that his social media posts are all about Morocco?

All we seem to know is that he hasn't been called by Morocco and he's turned down a preliminary spot for Canada at the Gold Cup. Same situation with Farsi, but Algeria. 

I think Farsi could sneak onto the Algeria radar, but I am less convinced Abzi will. Nice player, but Morocco is a little stronger and playing for a small but mid-table Ligue 2 club wouldn't seriously put him on their radar, aside from possibly being in a database of potential players, or something like that.

Abzi going to a Segunda club could possibly change that, depending on the club and how he plays. It's a little stronger than Ligue 2, seemingly.   

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

All we seem to know is that he hasn't been called by Morocco and he's turned down a preliminary spot for Canada at the Gold Cup. Same situation with Farsi, but Algeria. 

I think Farsi could sneak onto the Algeria radar, but I am less convinced Abzi will. Nice player, but Morocco is a little stronger and playing for a small but mid-table Ligue 2 club wouldn't seriously put him on their radar, aside from possibly being in a database of potential players, or something like that.

Abzi going to a Segunda club could possibly change that, depending on the club and how he plays. It's a little stronger than Ligue 2, seemingly.   

Yeah the Morocco stuff was me speculating because of his posts and him not showing up on our prelim lists. I think I wrote it somewhere in here, but morocco has a ton of players in weak leagues playing for them. Guys in Hungary, Egypt, Morocco, etc., so I don’t know if Ligue 2 is that far off from morocco calling. 

Ligue 2 also had 4 Ligue 1 teams relegated last season instead of 2, so the quality of the league will at the very least be marginally better this year.

Edited by InglewoodJack