Diyaeddine Abzi

shamrock

1 hour ago, Kent said:

So he goes from a team with a 4,000 capacity stadium to a team with a 4,031 capacity stadium. Moving up!

Seriously though, good move for him. I hope he kills it. The better he does, the higher the price for the next CPL standout!

For those interested in stadiums, look at the refit they're doing in Rodez with a rather modest stadium, a town also in the south with no recent history in pro soccer at all (it has a very famous cathedral and is Roquefort cheese country).

https://www.bedrune-architectes.fr/project/restructuration-du-stade-paul-lignon/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stade_Paul-Lignon

Stade Paul Lignon - Rodez - Bedrune Architectes

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

17 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Does anyone know what game he is attending on insta? Looks like a wild atmosphere.

It's Maghred de Fes vs. Olympique Club de Khouribga in the Moroccan first division.

I noted earlier in the thread that Morocco has called Ligue 2 players this season, so he is surely near their national team radar. Let's just hope this was a vacation on the way to France and not a recruitment trip.

55 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

It's Maghred de Fes vs. Olympique Club de Khouribga in the Moroccan first division.

I noted earlier in the thread that Morocco has called Ligue 2 players this season, so he is surely near their national team radar. Let's just hope this was a vacation on the way to France and not a recruitment trip.

Morocco's AFCON qualifiers in September vs Zimbabwe have been cancelled, so they'd only be able to play friendlies. Their next opportunity to cap tie any players would be the same window we play Nations League. If he's succeeding in Ligue 2 it could be a race to call him for the March window

14 hours ago, narduch said:

Abzi played in Olympic qualifying for us in March of 2021. Doesn't that cap tie him to us for 3 years from that date?

Yes, he's provisionally cap-tied to us. If he wants to play for Morocco he'd have to file a one time switch.

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

Yes, he's provisionally cap-tied to us. If he wants to play for Morocco he'd have to file a one time switch.

That should keep him out of their hands before we can give him a senior cap.

My worry is that Herdman won't expand the squad. We saw a tight knit group in qualifiers and the Gold Cup.

Will we rotate for GC 23 if we make the NL finals? Small chance (and no chance if we don't).

Ideally, Abzi is a regular in Ligue 2 and gets capped at Gold Cup. By that time I hope we can secure  Lucas Dias, fresh off a Sporting 1st team cameo to wrap up the Portuguese season, along with national team recalls for Jayden Nelson and Theo Corbeanu.

Toss in a senior national team debut for Ralph Priso and Justin Smith for good measure and I am satisfied. We need to keep growing the pool.

Oh, and icing on the cake would be Halbouni and Waterman replacing Vitoria and Henry as we retool the backline for the futute.

• 2 weeks later...

Pau FC, his club, signed Nguyễn Quang Hải and gained 350 000 followers on Facebook the same day lol.

He becomes the 8th player with international cap at the club, after : Saivet (Senegal), Gomis (Guinea-Bissau), George (Costa Rica), Nisic (Serbia), Kouassi (Ivory Coast), Bassouamina (Congo) and D’Almeida (Benin).

Let’s hope Abzi joins them soon!

Edited by MauditYvon

On 6/27/2022 at 5:19 PM, Obinna said:

That should keep him out of their hands before we can give him a senior cap.

My worry is that Herdman won't expand the squad. We saw a tight knit group in qualifiers and the Gold Cup.

Will we rotate for GC 23 if we make the NL finals? Small chance (and no chance if we don't).

Ideally, Abzi is a regular in Ligue 2 and gets capped at Gold Cup. By that time I hope we can secure  Lucas Dias, fresh off a Sporting 1st team cameo to wrap up the Portuguese season, along with national team recalls for Jayden Nelson and Theo Corbeanu.

Toss in a senior national team debut for Ralph Priso and Justin Smith for good measure and I am satisfied. We need to keep growing the pool.

Oh, and icing on the cake would be Halbouni and Waterman replacing Vitoria and Henry as we retool the backline for the futute.

To me, this is one of the biggest issues with our lack of friendlies.  Those “bonus” games would be the prefect chance to blood in young players like these and let them know they are in the mix for consideration - or at least future looks.   But because everything always seems to matter in terms of results, we generally go with the core crew and the opportunity to bring in guys like this is quite limited.  Thus they don’t feel like they are part of the senior program and we risk losing them.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/29/2022 at 8:31 AM, narduch said:

Abzi is starting for Pau v Aigues-Mortes (5th tier) in the 7th round of the Coupe de France.

On 10/29/2022 at 11:04 AM, Aird25 said:

He scores the 3rd in a 3-0 win

They will host US Colomiers Foot (5th tier) in the 8th round on Saturday, November 19th.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille