OneSoccer

Foreen

28 minutes ago, toontownman said:

CBC is the where the CPL needs to be. Maximum exposure. If TSN and sportsnet want to climb aboard fine but CBC reaches more eyes and is more accessible.

If you listen to the recent podcast with Sharman, talking to Clanachan, Dichio and Dunfield go on about this, and he seems to say that OneSoccer has no limited ambition to only show in the online format, and that the CBC showed 20 games last year (that much, really, 20% of the total?). Suggesting that this year the number could grow. 

If OneSoccer takes DAZN as a reference, they'll see that the formula is just that. DAZN has the rights to the Cup in Spain, but starting in quarter finals they sold a match to an open channel of the 4 big privates, and I think that is the idea. You retain this tension between making the subscription worthwhile, and then offering key matches to widen audience and raise your profile. But if you put too many on the CBC, going back to the CPL, you lose your subscriber base in Canada except for the diehards.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you listen to the recent podcast with Sharman, talking to Clanachan, Dichio and Dunfield go on about this, and he seems to say that OneSoccer has no limited ambition to only show in the online format, and that the CBC showed 20 games last year (that much, really, 20% of the total?). Suggesting that this year the number could grow. 

If OneSoccer takes DAZN as a reference, they'll see that the formula is just that. DAZN has the rights to the Cup in Spain, but starting in quarter finals they sold a match to an open channel of the 4 big privates, and I think that is the idea. You retain this tension between making the subscription worthwhile, and then offering key matches to widen audience and raise your profile. But if you put too many on the CBC, going back to the CPL, you lose your subscriber base in Canada except for the diehards.

To be clear on the "20 games" part, it was 10 on CBC and 10 on CBC's free app.  They did mention that during the podcast.  I'm not sure I've talked to anyone, ever who's watched anything on their app. (though admittedly I'm sure more than a few people here watched those games)

When DAZN took over the Champions League in Canada, I just assumed TSN or Sportsnet would buy a "game of the week" from them.  Keep the product in the greater public's eye, while still holding back the bulk of it.  Nope.  They just held on to all of it.

Having said that, I think that all OneSoccer has right now is the "diehards".  I think at this stage a game of the week on CBC wouldn't hurt their subscription base, especially if this season they're giving away subscriptions to season ticket holders anyway.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

To be clear on the "20 games" part, it was 10 on CBC and 10 on CBC's free app.  They did mention that during the podcast.  I'm not sure I've talked to anyone, ever who's watched anything on their app. (though admittedly I'm sure more than a few people here watched those games)

When DAZN took over the Champions League in Canada, I just assumed TSN or Sportsnet would buy a "game of the week" from them.  Keep the product in the greater public's eye, while still holding back the bulk of it.  Nope.  They just held on to all of it.

Having said that, I think that all OneSoccer has right now is the "diehards".  I think at this stage a game of the week on CBC wouldn't hurt their subscription base, especially if this season they're giving away subscriptions to season ticket holders anyway.

Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps the more balanced schedule will allow for more and better weekend options. West Coast games have be early on weekends so in EST they aren't too late. If they can get up to 15 or 20 on regular CBC that's alright. 

One Soccer needs to actively work with clubs to improve quality of transmission. A higher angle at Westhills. A proper protected structure  at FCE. Better fan image at York9. The waste of that amateur looking grassy slope at Spruce Meadows. 

Will be interesting to see how Mediapro handle this. Worth bearing in mind that they didn't want the second leg of the playoff shown live on CBC, so I'd be surprised if they want a CBC main network game shown live most weekends during the season. Suspect it's all about finding the level that most helps them to build up a subscriber base.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

They really should be aiming for a game of the week on CBC TV at a set time (say 4pm ET). The problem with last year's schedule is that it was so inconsistent. 

I think that still leaves enough content to make a subscription worth it. 

The main problem is CBC already has tons of commitments for sports on Saturday's. 

I still think they should buy Euro World Sport from TLN and transform it into a One Soccer cable channel. That channel some how still exists just repeating the same documentaries over and over again. 

Edited by narduch

• 2 weeks later...

Posting something Mediapro and Atleti related, also women's game: the Spanish female league has just signed a collective bargaining agreement, first of its kind in Europe from what they are saying. Mediapro had a hand in getting it done, as did AtMadrid.

Not worth getting into details, but it does establish a minimum salary, a minimum for part-time players (I guess short contracts, academy players), it sets out the base for automatic bonuses for seniority on a team. It ensures holidays (meaning paid holidays). 

Not all teams participated in the negotation, as they are not part of the club association at the table, but it is binding for all. 

It seems that an extra contribution of 1.1 million euros from Mediapro made it possible for the smaller teams to accept the deal and sweeten the offer as players demanded. This payment was not for media rights, but it does mean they now get first choice of each weekend's match, regardless of the team. The also negotiated a separate deal with At Madrid, who seem to have a privilged relationship with Mediapro. Basically, At Madrid let them do a deal for the more modest clubs, stepping aside, and then negotiated separately from the rest with the company. 

This will likely now improve the women's matches on OneSoccer.

It also demonstrates the possible interest of Mediapro in the women's game, if the CPL and CSA choose to go to bat for it. 

Edit with some figures: basically all part time contracts have to be minimum 75% and push up to 16,000 euros gross income. It seems the vast majority of contracts in the league are now between 16 and 30 thousand, which gives a take home of between 900 and 1500 a month. 

This was accomplished over 14 months negotiation, 30 meetings and a strike last November, and is effective retroactively from last summer. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

One Soccer ONLINE Subscription: 

- can one pay thru iTunes?

Or do we have to pay thru the website? Asking as I'm thinking of picking up some iTunes Card when on sale at Costco usually 100$ for 84,99$.

Going to pickup 1yr membership even thou not a STH.

Please let me know, Thanks

Edited by fannorth

33 minutes ago, fannorth said:

One Soccer ONLINE Subscription: 

- can one pay thru iTunes?

Or do we have to pay thru the website? Asking as I'm thinking of picking up some iTunes Card when on sale at Costco usually 100$ for 84,99$.

Going to pickup 1yr membership even thou not a STH.

Please let me know, Thanks

Don’t believe so.  Credit card was the only way when I signed up.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:00 AM, Ansem said:

More games will be on TV 

I'll freely confess that I don't understand how all the new measurements work, but is this article also saying that the average audience for CPL games on CBC was about 54k, with the final being about 82k?  I assume that's what the "2 + minute audience" would be (ie, people tuning in for at least 2 minutes).

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Watching Liga MX tonight (Tigres v Juarez) behind closed doors.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I watched badminton yesterday. It's actually very entertaining. 

I'll probably watch soccer from MX and Australia though I'm surprised my cable package thinks they can leave programming empty instead of finding replacement matches. 

1 hour ago, Kent said:

And now Liga MX is shut down too.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/03/14/liga-mx-suspends-play-until-further-notice

Cant play sports, can’t watch sports, and can’t even really read about sports. It has only been a few days but I can tell I am going to lose my mind.

In many places, you cant even go to the pub to drown your sorrows that there are no sports!

On 3/15/2020 at 9:15 PM, Kent said:

And now Liga MX is shut down too.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/03/14/liga-mx-suspends-play-until-further-notice

Cant play sports, can’t watch sports, and can’t even really read about sports. It has only been a few days but I can tell I am going to lose my mind.

I already went back on by PVR and found some old CPL games. I don't always remember the scores so its like watching it new! likewise highlights on youtube. Maybe we need to organize a watch party with some old classic Canada games. 

Not live sport but a Few things I just saw popping up on netflix this week and the next. 

Italian Film: Ultras - fictional film about italian ultras

UK Drama Series: The English Game - Story of the invention of football and class divides.

Sunderland til I die (Season 2): Every Newcastle fans favourite show returns for its second season... I wonder what will happen?

United - Dramatisation of the Busby Babes story bbc did a few years back. free on youtube (also can likely find damned united on the web somewhere which is always worth a watch!)

Time to watch Green Street Hooligans again, not everyone's cup of tea but my friends and I enjoyed it (7.5 out of 10 on IMDB):

MV5BMjExNTg3NzYwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzcx

Been meaning to watch the sequels as well, 2 and 3, but don't think they'll match the original as with many sequels.

Will also check out the selection from  @toontownman

Edited by CDNFootballer