OneSoccer

Foreen

9 hours ago, Ansem said:

Money talks... we'll see

Agreed.

TSN is probably currently paying next to nothing for the rights. You can tell because none of the news articles about when they obtained the rights mention for how much. MLS is probably too embarrassed to make that public.

They probably have a deal where they share ad revenue.

That being said OneSoccer probably should have kept more quiet on this front. Now TSN/Bel are tipped off and can up their ante.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Agreed.

TSN is probably currently paying next to nothing for the rights. You can tell because none of the news articles about when they obtained the rights mention for how much. MLS is probably too embarrassed to make that public.

They probably have a deal where they share ad revenue.

That being said OneSoccer probably should have kept more quiet on this front. Now TSN/Bel are tipped off and can up their ante.

We have to understand that MLS will always be priority #5 or lower. They have to account for these other deals:

NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB, CFL. There only so many dollars to go around and viewership has to justify paying whatever price MLS deems its TV rights will be worth in 2022.

As of now, it's not even close to what the CFL pulls weekly. For parties such as DAZN and MediaPro, getting their hands on these rights is somewhat on top of their priority.

That's a big difference. Too many people overvalue the importance of MLS TV rights for our traditional broadcasters. As you pointed out, they paid nearly nothing for those rights. When MLS comes knocking asking for hundreds of millions, that will be interesting. Has viewership increased enough to justify the new MLS valuation of its TV rights? (Clue...won't be cheap)

Money talks indeed...

Edited by Ansem

29 minutes ago, narduch said:

The MLS ratings in the US are terrible. Its a wonder they get any money for it.

I didn't even think if DAZN. OneSoccer might face a bigger challenge for them over the MLS rights for all we know.

I think the aggressive expansion is a way to sell the "overvaluation" to broadcasters in the US like the NHL has been doing in the south.

Problem is that in Canada, it's 3 market, and it will ALWAYS be 3 markets with some viewership improvements but nothing justifying asking for the moon.

Like you said, I also dont believe that sports channels will put that much of a fight when DAZN and Mediapro submits their figures. They can always cut deals with MediaPro to get some of the games, which might make way more business sense to them as they wouldn't have to produce the game nor have soccer journalists/analyst on payroll.

What Mediapro has going for them is that they want to set up a TV channel on cable and could sell to MLS that some of their games would be resold to CBC like TFC vs Montreal. That "coast to coast" exposure is something they never had (CBC being free)

Edited by Ansem

Rogers and Bell aren't known for their creativity, ingenuity and foresight. They aren't risk takers.

They don't buy properties in hopes of growing them. A new start up will be more willing to take those kind of risks.

TSN/CTV are perfect examples. They use Bell's buying power to scoop up the best properties and just rebroadcast them to us. Its nothing special.

The CFL is a good example. TSN scooped it up after CBC had already made it a big property.

39 minutes ago, narduch said:

The CFL is a good example. TSN scooped it up after CBC had already made it a big property.

Isn't the general thinking that TSN did a ton of work to grow the CFL into a viable TV product? I'm talking about on an everyday level, not just big events like the Labour Day Classics and playoff games.

4 minutes ago, RS said:

Isn't the general thinking that TSN did a ton of work to grow the CFL into a viable TV product? I'm talking about on an everyday level, not just big events like the Labour Day Classics and playoff games.

It was already a major ratings winner when they took it on.

You won't see them take a risk like on a start up league.

15 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This account must be run by Rob Gale ... really cool and easy going until the slightest hint of adversity and then just spastic.  Getting butt hurt about a broadcaster posting a video of a former player getting a red?  Just laugh and be glad he's gone.

That video was not even from the game OneSoccer stopped broadcasting.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

The success of CPL clubs and OneSoccer are interlinked. Why is this team allowing their twitter account to undermine the success of one of their major partners?

I suppose for the same reason OneSoccer is allowing their twitter account to call a handball in the box an "iconic moment". Why are they making Valour look bad?

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I suppose for the same reason OneSoccer is allowing their twitter account to call a handball in the box an "iconic moment". Why are they making Valour look bad?

This really? Don't understand why this moment is either iconic or why it needs highlighting. let alone saying "long live". Out of iconic moments this year I wouldn't have even listed it, in fact I didn't even remember it until I watched it again. 

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

In an interesting move, it looks like TSN did have some time to fill on their schedule.  And they've chosen to fill it with Major League Rugby.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2020/02/05/toronto-arrows-games-to-be-broadcast-on-tsn/

This actually seems like a good pick up for TSN and also for Canadian content as the Arrows roster is significantly Canadian. Compare this with Toronto Wolfpack (which is rugby league anyway so ... barf) that features zero, zip, zilch in terms of CanCon.

TSN has all the Canadian national team Rugby Union games - and has for years. So fits in with their coverage well.

I'm wondering where Toronto Wolfpack games are though now. One seemed to be tape delayed on Sportsnet World ... hopefully they aren't all on there ... given how expensive and useless that channel is these days.