1 hour ago, Kent said:

I suppose for the same reason OneSoccer is allowing their twitter account to call a handball in the box an "iconic moment". Why are they making Valour look bad?

I'd say it was the culprit who made Valour look bad, not the guys who filmed it.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I suppose for the same reason OneSoccer is allowing their twitter account to call a handball in the box an "iconic moment". Why are they making Valour look bad?

This really? Don't understand why this moment is either iconic or why it needs highlighting. let alone saying "long live". Out of iconic moments this year I wouldn't have even listed it, in fact I didn't even remember it until I watched it again. 

16 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Don't watch Sportsnet's misplays of the month! Anything that happens on the pitch is fair game IMHO. Not personal.

Wait a second,  people actually watch that crap?

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Wait a second,  people actually watch that crap?

Reminder: I am a Don Cherry fan. Love ya grapes!

As for your silly comment, they wouldn't show it if no one watched, would they? Clearly many sports fans, me included, find misplays entertaining.

Edited by Lofty

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

Don't watch Sportsnet's misplays of the month! Anything that happens on the pitch is fair game IMHO. Not personal.

I agree, it’s nothing personal, but neither was the comment from Valour. Just some ribbing going both ways.

Just now, Kent said:

I agree, it’s nothing personal, but neither was the comment from Valour. Just some ribbing going both ways.

Agree to disagree kent. 😉

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

In an interesting move, it looks like TSN did have some time to fill on their schedule.  And they've chosen to fill it with Major League Rugby.

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2020/02/05/toronto-arrows-games-to-be-broadcast-on-tsn/

This actually seems like a good pick up for TSN and also for Canadian content as the Arrows roster is significantly Canadian. Compare this with Toronto Wolfpack (which is rugby league anyway so ... barf) that features zero, zip, zilch in terms of CanCon.

TSN has all the Canadian national team Rugby Union games - and has for years. So fits in with their coverage well.

I'm wondering where Toronto Wolfpack games are though now. One seemed to be tape delayed on Sportsnet World ... hopefully they aren't all on there ... given how expensive and useless that channel is these days.

28 minutes ago, toontownman said:

CBC is the where the CPL needs to be. Maximum exposure. If TSN and sportsnet want to climb aboard fine but CBC reaches more eyes and is more accessible.

If you listen to the recent podcast with Sharman, talking to Clanachan, Dichio and Dunfield go on about this, and he seems to say that OneSoccer has no limited ambition to only show in the online format, and that the CBC showed 20 games last year (that much, really, 20% of the total?). Suggesting that this year the number could grow. 

If OneSoccer takes DAZN as a reference, they'll see that the formula is just that. DAZN has the rights to the Cup in Spain, but starting in quarter finals they sold a match to an open channel of the 4 big privates, and I think that is the idea. You retain this tension between making the subscription worthwhile, and then offering key matches to widen audience and raise your profile. But if you put too many on the CBC, going back to the CPL, you lose your subscriber base in Canada except for the diehards.

Who in the hell is OneSoccer? who is behind it and how much money exchanged hands?

Who has read the book Red Card.  After reading it everything looks suspicious to me.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you listen to the recent podcast with Sharman, talking to Clanachan, Dichio and Dunfield go on about this, and he seems to say that OneSoccer has no limited ambition to only show in the online format, and that the CBC showed 20 games last year (that much, really, 20% of the total?). Suggesting that this year the number could grow. 

If OneSoccer takes DAZN as a reference, they'll see that the formula is just that. DAZN has the rights to the Cup in Spain, but starting in quarter finals they sold a match to an open channel of the 4 big privates, and I think that is the idea. You retain this tension between making the subscription worthwhile, and then offering key matches to widen audience and raise your profile. But if you put too many on the CBC, going back to the CPL, you lose your subscriber base in Canada except for the diehards.

To be clear on the "20 games" part, it was 10 on CBC and 10 on CBC's free app.  They did mention that during the podcast.  I'm not sure I've talked to anyone, ever who's watched anything on their app. (though admittedly I'm sure more than a few people here watched those games)

When DAZN took over the Champions League in Canada, I just assumed TSN or Sportsnet would buy a "game of the week" from them.  Keep the product in the greater public's eye, while still holding back the bulk of it.  Nope.  They just held on to all of it.

Having said that, I think that all OneSoccer has right now is the "diehards".  I think at this stage a game of the week on CBC wouldn't hurt their subscription base, especially if this season they're giving away subscriptions to season ticket holders anyway.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

To be clear on the "20 games" part, it was 10 on CBC and 10 on CBC's free app.  They did mention that during the podcast.  I'm not sure I've talked to anyone, ever who's watched anything on their app. (though admittedly I'm sure more than a few people here watched those games)

When DAZN took over the Champions League in Canada, I just assumed TSN or Sportsnet would buy a "game of the week" from them.  Keep the product in the greater public's eye, while still holding back the bulk of it.  Nope.  They just held on to all of it.

Having said that, I think that all OneSoccer has right now is the "diehards".  I think at this stage a game of the week on CBC wouldn't hurt their subscription base, especially if this season they're giving away subscriptions to season ticket holders anyway.

Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps the more balanced schedule will allow for more and better weekend options. West Coast games have be early on weekends so in EST they aren't too late. If they can get up to 15 or 20 on regular CBC that's alright. 

One Soccer needs to actively work with clubs to improve quality of transmission. A higher angle at Westhills. A proper protected structure  at FCE. Better fan image at York9. The waste of that amateur looking grassy slope at Spruce Meadows. 

Will be interesting to see how Mediapro handle this. Worth bearing in mind that they didn't want the second leg of the playoff shown live on CBC, so I'd be surprised if they want a CBC main network game shown live most weekends during the season. Suspect it's all about finding the level that most helps them to build up a subscriber base.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot