36 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I thought their strategy was to sell the games to tv broadcasters. Not just to increase subscriptions. That’s what they’ve done elsewhere. If they set the precedent of giving away the biggest matches for free, they will lose all negotiating power.

I don’t understand this strategy if they plan on starting their own channel next season though. Would they still be looking to sell the rights to other networks?

I am not sure this was ever identified as their sole strategy - unless I am missing something (entirely possible).  In fact, it would seem like a waste to develop a robust streaming platform if your actual plan was to just be a seller of rights.  With them securing rights to other leagues (like Liga MX), it seems like they want to be more of a major player in the market, rather than a group that just focuses on peddling CPL.

So this will now be the challenge for One Soccer...the CPL season is over, Canadian international matches are fairly rare and Liga MX is an interesting product (but personally of only minor interest), how do they get subscribers until March/April?  I paid for a year of OS this season because it was Year 1 of the CPL.  When it comes time to renew, will I do it?  At this point and without significant improvements to functionality and content, the answer is no.  

Personally I plan on dropping it for a couple months after the game on November 15th (and maybe after a rewatch if the result is as good as the last Canada/US game).

I didn't get a year subscription because they called it a "Season" subscription in those early days, and didn't provide any information on what "season" meant. It worked out so it would be more expensive than going monthly for just the CPL season, so although I was pretty sure it was yearly, I didn't do it. I think I even sent them an email to get clarification that was never responded to.

However, my plan is to get a year subscription when things start up again next year.

I will renew.  The ability to watch the CNL games each window adds value for me - as does the chance to watch Puebla (and Cruz Azul if they ever play Eustaquio).  Plus any home national team friendlies.  Just kidding...

Last year CPL started  in April.  April to Nov is 8 months.  If you plan to subscribe just for CPL content, a monthly sub adds up to $80, or $70 if you want to play the calendar.

Bottom line for me is the next few months are just bonus content that I will get some value from.  That (I think) will include the latter stages of the CNL, which will be must-see TV for me.  Plus it is my way of directly supporting the league in a non-team market.

I am even thinking of getting an HFX season ticket just because of the reduced price (once the $75 of OS cost is factored in, since I would spend that anyway).   A season ticket in the cheap seats is $326.  If i am spending the $75 anyway, the cost to me is about $250.  That isn't a bad value proposition. 

11 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Wow that is shocking. That is gross mismanagement I have no idea why the league would ever let this happen. Second game of a new leagues championship and they decline to air it on National TV live??? All I can say is wow

The cbc guys tweet is just one side of the story, would be interesting to hear Mediapro's point of view as well.

We don't know what the negotiations for the second game airing live on cbc may have entailed.

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I will renew.  The ability to watch the CNL games each window adds value for me - as does the chance to watch Puebla (and Cruz Azul if they ever play Eustaquio).  Plus any home national team friendlies.  Just kidding...

Last year CPL started  in April.  April to Nov is 8 months.  If you plan to subscribe just for CPL content, a monthly sub adds up to $80, or $70 if you want to play the calendar.

Bottom line for me is the next few months are just bonus content that I will get some value from.  That (I think) will include the latter stages of the CNL, which will be must-see TV for me.  Plus it is my way of directly supporting the league in a non-team market.

I am even thinking of getting an HFX season ticket just because of the reduced price (once the $75 of OS cost is factored in, since I would spend that anyway).   A season ticket in the cheap seats is $326.  If i am spending the $75 anyway, the cost to me is about $250.  That isn't a bad value proposition. 

I've been on the monthly and after November will pay the $75 for the next year.

Works out to $6.25 per month which is peanuts.

54,000 average is not bad for a start up league. 

One Soccer really needs to work to get back onto CBC, and try to make the broadcasts more consistent. 

For comparison sake MLS ratings aren't much higher. It's hard to find 2019 ratings but this article from 2017 has some.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/baseball-sports-pmn/toronto-fc-success-drives-up-ratings-while-struggling-jays-numbers-drop

Considering how poor TFC was for most of the regular season and the post Giovinco buzz kill, plus the situation in Vancouver I would bet those numbers dropped this year. Although there must be a playoff spike for TFC.