OneSoccer

Foreen

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

No one ever claimed he was wrong in everything he wrote.  My point is that much of the criticism at the time was justified based on the tone and constant negativity he brought to the forum.   

Okay, but you are suggesting its okay to slag them when they are right, slag them when they are wrong, and slag them because you don't like the colour of their shirt. That is where I won't go. But I appreciate that sometimes, because of a general tone, you don't feel like giving people the time of day. I have quite a few people here blocked and don't regret it. But not him, because he also happens to be an effective linking machine. 

20 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Doesn't TSN still hold the rights for Canadian World Cup qualifying events?

Only things Concacaf TSN had left pre-covid is Champions League and Gold Cup. TSN holds rights to the actual World Cup.

OneSoccer has all ages men/women for Concacaf qualifying & Nations League matches outside of Canada. And previous to that, they got the rights to broadcast Canada home matches.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not going to debate it with you.  A large number of people (rightly) directed criticism at him for cynical and sustained negativity on the board at a time when a lot of people were coming here to learn about CPL and the 2026 bid.  His behaviour was toxic and people called him out for it.  

He was negative, but the behaviour towards him was what was toxic.  Honestly, if you were concerned about people coming here to learn about the CPL and 2026 bid, people's reaction to him always seemed much worse than anything he did.  Some of his stuff was (justly) criticized but there was definitely people who took it in to a personal realm.

2 hours ago, red card said:

Only things Concacaf TSN had left pre-covid is Champions League and Gold Cup. TSN holds rights to the actual World Cup.

OneSoccer has all ages men/women for Concacaf qualifying & Nations League matches outside of Canada. And previous to that, they got the rights to broadcast Canada home matches.

Ah, ok.  I knew they'd locked up a lot of the Canada rights (friendlies, Gold Cup, etc) and a lot of the regional non-Canada Concacaf games, but thought TSN still had the WCQ games.

4 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Good old Gol TV.  Always enjoyed those awkward daily training ground shows where the hosts were scraping for anything to talk about.

I have an awesome story involving Lee Godfried, Gerry Dobson and RiverCity at a post WCQ gathering at Sherlock Holmes in Edmonchuk.  Well worth the trio of pints you'll need to buy me to get me to tell it. 

Keiths, Richard's Red,  Guinness, Stella or Heini will do.  I'm flexable.  

59 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

I have an awesome story involving Lee Godfried, Gerry Dobson and RiverCity at a post WCQ gathering at Sherlock Holmes in Edmonchuk.  Well worth the trio of pints you'll need to buy me to get me to tell it. 

Keiths, Richard's Red,  Guinness, Stella or Heini will do.  I'm flexable.  

Man if I ever see you in the flesh I am definitely buying you a round or two. Dobbie story or no Debbie story.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Okay, but you are suggesting its okay to slag them when they are right, slag them when they are wrong, and slag them because you don't like the colour of their shirt. That is where I won't go. But I appreciate that sometimes, because of a general tone, you don't feel like giving people the time of day. I have quite a few people here blocked and don't regret it. But not him, because he also happens to be an effective linking machine. 

The earlier incarnations of this board used to be the go to place for information about domestic Canadian pro soccer as well as the CMNT but that's definitely no longer the case, so it's debatable whether this place is even worth bothering with any more. Best to follow a few relevant hashtags on Twitter to stay up to date, and the added bonus is that Twitter is also moderated in an impartial way to eliminate toxic behaviour rather than by people trying to curry favour with CanPL or the CSA to maintain their access, who appear to be happy to let the toxic behaviour proceed unchecked when shouting down certain perspectives is in tune with the preferred public relations narrative of those particular organizations.

The organic and spontaneous expression of fan culture in the early years that led to the black t-shirt display at BMO Field in 2007 has morphed in the present day into something approaching a corporate friendly booster club, basically. The whole episode with your banning and more recently that of Lofty's highlighted how farcically dysfunctional this place has become over the years, as well as the complete lack of transparency on who gave the people at the controls the mandate to take over the Voyageurs in an apparently near dictatorial manner in the first place.

The only reason I commented on that one particular post was to highlight the breathtaking level of hypocrisy that goes on in this place sometimes. Hopefully the info on Twitter from Duane Rollins about the tournament happening now in PEI based on a 5-3 vote of the owners is accurate, but, if so, scary that it would have been so close. We'll probably never know for sure what really happened over the past seven weeks of radio silence from the league. If things were about to turn very sour as appeared to me to be a possibility when there was no Canada Day announcement, I definitely wasn't going to go through being on the receiving end of another torrent of abuse with no moderator interventions to enforce reasonable standards of decorum when all I would be doing is pointing out the reality of what was happening as was the case on the at times disturbing level of crowds last season. This place is clearly no longer fit for purpose and has largely ceased to be relevant anyway, so I have better things to do with my time.

Winding things back to the thread's subject matter maybe the new 2022 WCQ format announced by Victor Montagliani and co at CONCACAF provided some reasons to believe that the corner can still be turned on subscriber numbers with Onesoccer. It could provide a steady diet of Onesoccer only CMNT content that should start to draw a decent number of eyeballs at the octagon stage and that might help CSB to eventually be revenue positive for the league in a SUM and MLS sort of way. Time will tell, but if I have anything to post about that online it almost certainly won't be on here...  

th_richard_p_feynman_quote_for_a_success

5 hours ago, johnyb said:

Wasn't it supposed to be free for SSH's this year? 

I e-mailed them regarding this as I am a Forge SSH and had already paid for my season 2 seats. The response I received was that they were looking into it and would get back to me shortly. I can see now that it was merely a stall tactic and I am expected to fork out some more money to be able to watch these 'Island Games'. This seems beyond shady and is insulting to someone who hasn't asked for a refund for this season's seats so as to help the club out. I'm really re-thinking my commitment for next season and onward.

Just now, longlugan said:

I e-mailed them regarding this as I am a Forge SSH and had already paid for my season 2 seats. The response I received was that they were looking into it and would get back to me shortly. I can see now that it was merely a stall tactic and I am expected to fork out some more money to be able to watch these 'Island Games'. This seems beyond shady and is insulting to someone who hasn't asked for a refund for this season's seats so as to help the club out. I'm really re-thinking my commitment for next season and onward.

I should clarify that after paying for this season's seats I never received my OneSoccer free subscription.

Crap. I was going to sign up monthly. I guess at least the national games will be on to get some content when CPL is done. Not sure what else makes it value for money. At a time where people are potentially financially stretched this would be a bit of a dick move imo. If it's true.

I am also hugely disappointed with the collective as a neutral fan. It leaves anyone that is a neutral out in the cold and is a complete missed opportunity to engage fan groups in markets without teams. 

Just like on centre circle, have an option for just fans of the league (which incidently still leaves neutrals out or additional promos, competitions and giveaways fans of a specific club get). Instead of a shirt of the team of your choice give people CPL merch, jackets or shirts or balls, whatever. It's simple. 

The are creating a closed market when they could help give some traction, legitimacy and opportunity for emerging fan groups in markets like BC, Montreal and SK. On top of that, they are throwing away money. 

25 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I heard any of the subscriptions given out with the season tickets will be expired on Aug 10 before the tournament starts.... CPL's way of saying thanks for hanging in to season ticket holders who have been in limbo for months?   lol

I've already been getting the gears from the Wee Elf about holding onto our passes as it is.  My logic is that they're paid for so we'll just use them for 2021.  Her logic is she doesn't want to be paying for something 2 years in advance.  We could be dead before then.  Or the league broke or whatever.

If the OneSoccer perk is being cancelled I'll be getting my $2K back.  It would be irresponsible of me to enable that sort of poor decision making by Valour's brain trust,   Hey, lend me money in the hope that you get something for it in 2021, and by the way you'll need to drop some more clink down if you want to actually watch your team play on TV this year.  Who thought that was a good idea?

Everyone is going to have to find the way that's best for them to continue financially supporting their club through all this.  And I think a lot well do just that.  However, the teams really need to show some seriously over-the-top love to the STHs who're sticking it out.   

P.S.  The Collective scheme seems playfull, a kinda fun thing that's affordable, especially if the OneSoccer subscription will be $70.  They really, really, need to tread carefully though with how they blend this into a CanPL world that has already established supporters groups.  If corporate HQ wants that project to be successful they need to recognize that.  But me?  I think I would have gone a different way to fund raise during these trying times.