This thread reminded me to unsubscribe for the off-season. When you unsubscribe they make you choose a reason, but nothing fit my actual reason. It would have been nice to have an option to type in a message to them.

Also, they didn't send a confirmation email or anything (yet at least) and it looks like I can still cancel my unsubscription, but nothing to let me confirm it? I feel like I'm going to get billed for another month.

The league got good exposure last year for what it was. Like the CEBL package CBC has been conservative by partially airing on TV while the leagues get established. I think the CPL coverage was a good start and hopefully being one year in they will negotiate to pick up more games. 

It depends on the viewing numbers really. Unlike the CEBL, OneSoccer is already the home so every game on Gem is never going to happen unless they stump up significant amounts of cash. Trying to up to 1 game on tv (not gem) a week would be a huge move but also a goal the league should be pushing for. 

38 minutes ago, sting said:

What is CEBL? Never heard of it.

Canadian Elite Basketball League. New start up mens league with teams mostly in ON and out West. It'll be interesting to see how things unfold for them (and to see whether or not National Basketball League Canada will pull a WHA and merge with them). 

5 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Canadian Elite Basketball League. New start up mens league with teams mostly in ON and out West. It'll be interesting to see how things unfold for them (and to see whether or not National Basketball League Canada will pull a WHA and merge with them). 

To be honest I never heard of the National Basketball League Canada either. No media coverage here in Winnipeg of either league.

I saw that on CBC.ca yesterday.  Made me think that CPL missed an opportunity in terms of getting more broadcast time. 

(and I also wondered about merging with the NBL - these small pro leagues competing with each other is surely a losing formula)

I watched the CEBL finals coverage on CBC Gem in the summer. Games didn't start on time. Stream production had vibe of local cable covering sports. It seemed the crew was associated with the league rather than CBC.

So, unless there are plans to improve the coverage, it won't be a good look for the CEBL. 

And CEBL has made the regular season basically meaningless as 6/7 teams make the playoffs.

I went to a game last year (Edmonton vs. Niagara) in St. Catharines.  Good game.  I would go back, and I would watch games on TV.

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I enjoy the NBL - PEI has a team (Island Storm).  It is a fun product and a very enjoyable level of play.  Would be interesting if the leagues merged to create a true D1 national basketball league.

If they go that route (which I suspect they will), I would hope they'd follow the CHL path and have regional conferences. 

Annnnnnnnnnd that they'd have teams in Québec again. 

16 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

If they go that route (which I suspect they will), I would hope they'd follow the CHL path and have regional conferences. 

Annnnnnnnnnd that they'd have teams in Québec again. 

With the budgets for these teams (quite low) I think it would almost be a given.  

9 hours ago, red card said:

And CEBL has made the regular season basically meaningless as 6/7 teams make the playoffs.

Not only that, Edmonton has already made the playoffs next season months before it even starts. Apparently the playoffs are all held at a single location (like the memorial cup in junior hockey if I’m not mistaken) and next year Edmonton is hosting, so they are in.

This past season Saskat... chewan I think, maybe oon... won the playoffs as the host, despite finishing the season in third. It will be interesting if the host winning becomes the norm (if they continue to do things this way long term).