OneSoccer

Foreen

23 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Maybe the CSA doesn't want the Barbados games available to see. I know I wouldn't. If the Iceland game isn't available it be disappointed

Why do you think the CSA wouldn't want the Barbados games to be seen?

Edit:  NVM.  Saw your explanation in another thread.  

Edited by Ivan
update

On 1/6/2020 at 1:12 PM, Shway said:

Okay, so I went back a few pages and realized there has been no questions ask, of why Onesoccer is not streaming any of CMNT upcoming friendlies. 

Presumably because this thread is in the CPL forum, and it's not a CPL game. Presumably many national team followers, don't follow this subforum.

22 hours ago, nfitz said:

Presumably because this thread is in the CPL forum, and it's not a CPL game. Presumably many national team followers, don't follow this subforum.

Yeah, I think it's been covered under the CMNT section and I laugh because I seriously doubt that there are a lot of "CanPL exclucive" fans out there, let alone on this board.

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I find it odd that the CSA wouldn't use OS as a possible platform to stream the next two CMNT games.  If they can make them available on their own website, why not let OS stream them to increase exposure to the platform?

I've thought of this as well and my only idea would be broadcast standard. We know this will be one camera and maybe Gavin Day (?) doing commentary, that may not be what OneSoccer wants on their channel.

Q

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I've thought of this as well and my only idea would be broadcast standard. We know this will be one camera and maybe Gavin Day (?) doing commentary, that may not be what OneSoccer wants on their channel.

Quite possibly and probably!

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

No Gavin Day is calling volleyball this weekend.

OneSoccer to air exclusive coverage in Canada of 2021 and 2023 Concacaf Gold Cups

https://us6.campaign-archive.com/?u=a8a1c3422d9152f5b1199bce6&id=977c00884d&fbclid=IwAR01RVvCR_Sv7eKwxPbp51sc2WcfDyny5rYAyXeeoaSfFTYa3ZyttY8482M

Not sure how much of this was already expected, but it seems like a really solid package of offerings for any Canadian footy fan.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That would be a bold move.  Would be interesting to see the response if  MLS lost the exposure they get on the mainstream sports channels.

That would be very interesting to see.

I also think if OneSoccer obtains the rights, it would work very well if they finally negotiated the launch of their cable channel (which, according to Larson, is still the plan). The two could dovetail nicely, with their OTT service benefiting from traditional access. I just hope they don't end up being only on Bell, Rogers, or Shaw...

with revenues of ~$2B, MediaPro is more than capable of outbidding for the MLS TV rights. This would be a massive won for CPL who would then get all those viewers eyes on the league with expansion into key markets, which would be incentive for MLS fans to follow a CPL club close to them.

*Yes, this would make the expansion fee jump

9 hours ago, Ansem said:

with revenues of ~$2B, MediaPro is more than capable of outbidding for the MLS TV rights. This would be a massive won for CPL who would then get all those viewers eyes on the league with expansion into key markets, which would be incentive for MLS fans to follow a CPL club close to them.

Bell has a financial stake in MLSE, which owns TFC and TSN.  If we're talking about the Canadian MLS teams, I'm not sure they'll be as eager to jump on board the CPL streaming service.  If we're talking about the MLS league package minus the Canadian teams (TSN currently has that as well), I'm not sure how many fans would be signing up for that.

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Bell has a financial stake in MLSE, which owns TFC and TSN.  If we're talking about the Canadian MLS teams, I'm not sure they'll be as eager to jump on board the CPL streaming service.  If we're talking about the MLS league package minus the Canadian teams (TSN currently has that as well), I'm not sure how many fans would be signing up for that.

Dont they have their hands tied up with other sports like the top 4 league rights? Why didn't they fight for broadcasting TFC during the Canadian Championship?

Not saying they won't bid at all but Mediapro could easily outbid them if they absolutely want those rights.

Bell/Roger's have to think about the rights of other leagues plus their own expenses. Nothing prevents them from acquiring games for their networks 

9 hours ago, Ansem said:

Operating profits are $214m (2017) and only 40% of their revenue comes from sports.  None of this is bad, but they're not necessarily throwing a ton of money MLS's way either.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/spotlight/mediapro-at-25-joining-europes-first-division-1203182290/

Just now, Ansem said:

Dont they have their hands tied up with other sports like the top 4 league rights? Why didn't they fight for broadcasting TFC during the Canadian Championship?

Not saying they won't bid at all but Mediapro could easily outbid them if they absolutely want those rights.

Bell/Roger's have to think about the rights of other leagues plus their own expenses. Nothing prevents them from acquiring games for their networks 

Because sadly the Voyagers Cup gets poor ratings and probably wasn't worth it to them.  I love the Voyagers Cup, but we see the empty stands for every game.  It appeals to the hard core fans, or to casual fans when the local team is playing a team from a bigger league.  Otherwise, it's not a draw.

As for the other 4: Sportsnet owns the rights to the NHL for about another 6 years, and controls the entirely of the Bluejays broadcasts.  That's some decent airtime TSN has to fill, and MLS generally works for that.

17 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Operating profits are $214m (2017) and only 40% of their revenue comes from sports.  None of this is bad, but they're not necessarily throwing a ton of money MLS's way either.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/spotlight/mediapro-at-25-joining-europes-first-division-1203182290/

They took CPL not because they're necessarily in love with it and Canadians, it's part of a long term strategy to implement themselves in the North American market.

They were quick to get Liga MX rights in Canada and build bridges. There's $$$$$$ money to be made in North American football and locking down the Canadian Market is step #1. Getting the Canadian rights for MLS is a stepping stone for the future where one day, they can implement themselves in the US.

The MediaPro deal was never just about CPL or Canada. If you see that logic, then you start to understand why it isn't surprising they gave that much money to a league that hasn't kickoffs yet. Them outbidding everybody else was the 1st step.

That's why I think they'll go hard at the MLS rights in Canada....builds bridges with the higher ups in that league.

29 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Because sadly the Voyagers Cup gets poor ratings and probably wasn't worth it to them.  I love the Voyagers Cup, but we see the empty stands for every game.  It appeals to the hard core fans, or to casual fans when the local team is playing a team from a bigger league.  Otherwise, it's not a draw.

As for the other 4: Sportsnet owns the rights to the NHL for about another 6 years, and controls the entirely of the Bluejays broadcasts.  That's some decent airtime TSN has to fill, and MLS generally works for that.

According to this tweet

MLS told it's clubs to not have regional rights as of 2022. The league wants to sell it's right in 1 big package to maximize the value.

17 minutes ago, Ansem said:

According to this tweet

MLS told it's clubs to not have regional rights as of 2022. The league wants to sell it's right in 1 big package to maximize the value.

Yes, I've seen that.  It's also more applicable to the US than to Canada.  They'll sell the two rights separately.  I'm not currently convinced that MediaPro (or for that matter DAZN) is going to put in such a huge bid on the Canadian MLS rights that it's enough to sway MLS from their partnership with TSN.  But I guess we'll see in a few years.

18 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Yes, I've seen that.  It's also more applicable to the US than to Canada.  They'll sell the two rights separately.  I'm not currently convinced that MediaPro (or for that matter DAZN) is going to put in such a huge bid on the Canadian MLS rights that it's enough to sway MLS from their partnership with TSN.  But I guess we'll see in a few years.

Money talks... we'll see