OneSoccer

Foreen

On 4/9/2023 at 8:31 AM, Watchmen said:

I find Fubo's user interface to be a bit clunky.  But it's probably more of a gripe about their EPL coverage.  If your game isn't on Match of the Day, there's really nothing pre or post-game or at the half.   It all feels very bare bones, like they did the very minimum but nothing more.

I assume you mean Matchday Live. If it's not one of the "big" matches that they're focusing on they don't talk much about the other ones much, especially the 3 pm UK matches. You still get highlights at the half and post-game, but no analysis. I like the Premier League channel's shows. They cover all the matches. It's a lot more than the minimum.

Edited by Rivaldo

1 hour ago, Rivaldo said:

I assume you mean Matchday Live. If it's not one of the "big" matches that they're focusing on they don't talk much about the other ones much, especially the 3 pm UK matches. You still get highlights at the half and post-game, but no analysis. I like the Premier League channel's shows. They cover all the matches. It's a lot more than the minimum.

Still, it is rather odd to have no analysis between the two halves.

On 5/15/2023 at 7:50 PM, Watchmen said:

Received an email from Fubo reminding me that my subscription expires in June.  Was a bit surprised that when it listed the leagues it mentioned the EPL, Serie A, and Coppa Italia, but not the CPL/Canada Soccer matches.  As a Canadian resident, I just thought that might be something they'd promote.

They are promoting the CPL:canada_sos_ctv_v1.png

Edited by Rivaldo

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

And? The question is either how much money CEBL is paying TSN or how many pity pennies they gave the league

I was at the game tonight in Ottawa and if the CEBL are throwing money at it, then TSN is doing a great job promoting it so far.  (I’m not convinced TSN isn’t paying an equivalent amount in kind for bringing in people like Swirsky and Paul Jones).  I have season tickets to both the Blackjacks& Atletico Ottawa and as far as entertainment goes, the CEBL does a pretty damn good job.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

And? The question is either how much money CEBL is paying TSN or how many pity pennies they gave the league

Sports media types have said CEBL is getting $0. Not a surprise in a world of declining subs & budget cuts. CEBL is also likely taking care of production given they had hired a streaming provider, they announced the broadcast crews & tonight's game had no TSN graphics package. Besides Swirsky & Jones, CEBL have hired laid off TSN people like Rod Black.

As with the CHL deal with TSN, CEBL may be getting a share of ad revenue. But only CEBL sponsor mentions were in-game. I didn't see any new CEBL inspired ad inventory as ads during breaks were ad buys you see across all TSN programs along with some TSN promos & PSAs. Though, CEBL sponsors are basically league suppliers ex their betting sponsor.

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

OneSoccer and their on-air talent sure aren't hiding their rooting interest in the matches tonight. Kind of similar to the Valour-TSS tie.

It will feel a lot more big league when there is the same enthusiasm but a lot more neutrality. That and harder hitting questions and deeper panel discussions.  Ones that are sometimes a bit uncomfortable but revealing. Ruffle a few feathers.

8 hours ago, jonovision said:

OneSoccer are really pushing the "biggest night in CPL history" angle in the lead-up to today's cup matches. Kind of silly, if you ask me. And frankly I don't give Forge or Pacific much of a chance.

Have to question whether all the squad rotation by Forge and Pacific on the weekend was actually worth it after those performances. 

On 4/9/2023 at 6:33 AM, narduch said:

I have Fubo and am thinking hard about what to do.

If David moves to EPL that would swing me into wanting Fubo. But I am worried I will have to decide before that is known.

What are you worried about? Cancel Fubo when your subscription ends and subscribe directly to OneSoccer on a monthly plan. If David moves to the Premier League you can go back to Fubo.

On 5/25/2023 at 2:23 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Have to question whether all the squad rotation by Forge and Pacific on the weekend was actually worth it after those performances. 

I don't think athletes or teams have the mentality that if you didn't win, then it wasn't worth the effort in the first place. They went for it in the Voyageurs Cup and came up short. That's sports/life. Now they don't have the regret of not knowing what would have been if they lost without giving it their all.

It's not like the Whitecaps and Montreal are wondering what the hell have they been doing all this time, playing MLS games and not having any MLS Cups to show for it. Forge and Pacific both drew in the lead up to their games, and they are still 1st and 2nd place in the table. I don't think they are losing sleep over that.

^^^doesn't appear to grasp that the Forge and Pacific both squandered two points last weekend in the context of the competition they are most likely to win that is being promoted as Canada's D1 national league chasing something that ultimately proved to be completely futile. People paid to watch their games against the Valour and Vancouver whether that be in the stadium or on Onesoccer and were probably not expecting to watch what were arguably close to reserve teams.

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^doesn't appear to grasp that the Forge and Pacific both squandered two points last weekend in the context of the competition they are most likely to win that is being promoted as Canada's D1 national league chasing something that ultimately proved to be completely futile. People paid to watch their games against the Valour and Vancouver whether that be in the stadium or on Onesoccer and were probably not expecting to watch what were arguably close to reserve teams.

Myself and the thousands of others in the stands quite enjoyed the match last Friday vs Vancouver, yes we would have preferred a win instead of the first CPL goal less draw at THF but it was a great evening for football and the match had some exciting moments!

13 hours ago, toontownman said:

Consistency is the key.

Wanting the league to actually succeed in doing something useful for Canadian soccer long term rather than following the crash and burn trajectory of the latter day NASL after windmills have been tilted at where MLS is concerned is the key. A true friend tells you what you need to hear, while self-serving sycophants and assorted groupie-like hangers on will tell you what they think you want to hear.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Wanting the league to actually succeed in doing something useful for Canadian soccer long term rather than following the crash and burn trajectory of the latter day NASL after windmills have been tilted at where MLS is concerned is the key. A true friend tells you what you need to hear, while self-serving sycophants and assorted groupie-like hangers on will tell you what they think you want to hear.

Looking at it that way, you're the only true friend I have.

On 5/27/2023 at 11:19 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^doesn't appear to grasp that Pacific has beaten the Whitecaps in the past and Forge has taken CF Montreal to penalties in the past. Besides, your point about people paying to see a game seems to ignore that people paid to see their Voyageurs Cup games as well.

There were 2,775 fans (reported, no doubt you believe it was actually less and probably even less actually paid for their ticket, and the vast majority of those 2,775 fans reported would have been Valour fans) at the Pacific vs Valour game and there were 5,221 fans at the Pacific vs Whitecaps game. So double the amount. So maybe it was more important to put in their best showing possible to the game with more eyeballs on it.

As for Forge, there were 4,378 fans at their game against Vancouver FC, and there were 10,062 (albeit, mostly CF Montreal fans) at their game against CF Montreal. So if the eyeballs watching the games should determine their worth, they were throwing their weight behind the games that had more people watching. Anecdotaly, I know for me personally I am not a Forge or a Pacific fan (or Whitecaps or CF Montreal), and I watched their Canadian Championship games but didn't watch their league games the weekend prior.

And yes, I do understand that Forge and Pacific are more likely to win a trophy in the CPL than the Voyageurs Cup, but if/when a CPL team wins the Voyageurs Cup someday, it will be a huge badge of honour, like Seattle being the first MLS team to win the CONCACAF Champions League. Not to mention their league games are 1/28th of a factor for the regular season trophy, whereas the semi final was a win and you are in the final, lose and you are out. So much more important and a bigger factor to winning or not winning a trophy.

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

So the whole reason for your existence on this forum is to be everyone's true friend? Why didn't you just say that? What game will you be attending next? I'd love to buy you a beer there and discuss our budding friendship.

• 3 weeks later...

Bell/Rogers never financially backed Canada Soccer aside from Bell sponsorship in the run up to WWC 2015. Still, some hoped they would financially support leagues like CPL - maybe unaware Bell/Rogers have been cutting budgets and jobs in their media divisions for the past decade.

Today Bell announced another 1300 job cuts which includes 6% of Bell Media employees and is shutting down/selling 9 radio stations. This includes Edmonton's sports radio station and shows Leafs Lunch & Ottawa's In the Box. BNN, CP24, CTV, local tv and radio news will be consolidated as one.

Bell execs said it is due to the ongoing migration of advertising revenue to foreign digital platforms and a shift from cable, satellite and Fibre TV subscribers to digital streaming platforms. 

They said people are consuming media — news, entertainment, TV, radio — in different ways than they were 10, 5 or even 3 years ago. Streaming services are now the market leaders in Canada.

The fundamental problem in their eyes is that top American content that they used to simuclast on tv can only be seen on streaming platforms. Crticis say Bell/Rogers didn't invest enough to be viewed as a major news outlet and invest enough to generate a healthy domestic entertainment catalogue.

Bell will now only invest in key growth areas. The rest will see cost structures reduced to match the lower revenue potential.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2023/06/14/leafs-lunch-on-tsn-1050-cancelled-as-part-of-latest-bell-media-cutbacks.html

Edited by red card