OneSoccer

Foreen

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

TV, but on delay.

I don't think it's the same thing.

They were carrying Bein Sports prior to that network buying Onesoccer games by the look of it or maybe it has more to do with Fubo (otherwise I doubt MediaPro wouldn’t want to promote that)

The whole subscription/viewership is pure BS. This is about Rogers protecting it's interest. CPL is collateral damage.

Edited by Ansem
Correction

13 minutes ago, Ansem said:

MediaPro is trying to position itself as the "only" place for Canadian soccer. It makes sense for Rogers to protect its investment in MLS rights to ensure that it doesn’t lose viewers which would impact ads revenues if they went down.

They broadcast MLS nationally

No, they don't.  That's TSN/Bell.  The rest of your argument is therefore irrelevant for this.

Edited by Watchmen

24 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

No, they don't.  That's TSN/Bell.  The rest of your argument is therefore irrelevant for this.

Oh snap, I mixed up TSN and Rogers (I strikethrough the part). So this has nothing to do with the subsidiary entities and more with the parent company directly.

Rogers just doesn’t want MediaPro around and doesn't want to contribute to its growth. Their argument doesn't make much sense.

Edited by Ansem

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Oh snap, I mixed up TSN and Rogers. So this has nothing to do with the subsidiary entities and more with the parent company directly.

Rogers just doesn’t want MediaPro around and doesn't want to contribute to its growth. Their argument are still a stretch though

That would be why I'm saying it would be helpful if OneSoccer released it's subscription numbers and a comparison could be made vs BEIN.  Because it becomes harder for Rogers to argue against it if OneSoccer already has comparable or better numbers to BEIN.

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

That would be why I'm saying it would be helpful if OneSoccer released it's subscription numbers and a comparison could be made vs BEIN.  Because it becomes harder for Rogers to argue against it if OneSoccer already has comparable or better numbers to BEIN.

It was redacted for the public not for the CRTC. This will be their call but thats not the argument they are trying to make (Bein vs their numbers). Bein has the advantage that they don't have... being on cable to begin with.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

BEIN does show CPL games though, which means they're "indirectly promoting a competitor". Again, I'd love to know the number of subscribers for BEIN. 

This was a deal the 2 networks made.

One Soccer gets to show Lille games. 

BeIn gets Canadian content to make their quota

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I am assuming OneSoccer has likely lost at least 40% of their subscribers since Fubo. I'm one of them. I expect they sold the rights to Fubo for a tidy fee in the knowledge that would happen. It's so rare OneSoccer has anything meaningful that isn't on the channel Fubo has.

I'm actually probably going to go back next year.

Especially of the subscription is $100 v $200

The argument that it is of limited appeal is a bit of a stretch though when speciality cable channels are inherently supposed to be aimed at niche audiences. Think this challenge was definitely worth a try and it will be interesting to see what happens.

Onesoccer could have strengthened its case if it had picked up the rights to more overseas leagues that have a recent immigrant audience available in Canada to provide more filler content for a full broadcast year.

Fully professional but not big 5 possibilities that probably wouldn't be drastically expensive might include Colombia, Argentina, Brazil, Scotland, Croatia, Serbia, Poland, Greece, Turkey, India, China, Nigeria, Egypt.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot