OneSoccer

Foreen

3 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

OK so CPL and One Soccer cant get on CBC yet in prime Saturday afternoon sports time there is a currently a cricket match between the 'Montreal Tigers' and 'Vancouver Knights. Very good production value. Before turning this on I didnt even know we had a cricket league in Canada. Im sure CBC could also introduce alot of people in 'NON CPL markets' to the fact we have a Canadian soccer league. At some point we have to hold the league management responsible for not being able to properly market the league. 

It's just a 7 match tourney over about 18 days. Third time being held but paused 3 years because of covid. Chow, Ford & Minister of Immigration have all attended. Attendance is expected to average 4k/day.

CBC can show it because there is no rights fee and no production costs. Given CBC tv's low viewership base (<5% share) that is mainly over 65, it needs new audiences to stay relevant. 

Organizers make their money from broadcast rights sold to major sports broadcasters in India, Australia & South Africa. DAZN showed a previous edition in Canada.

Due to the success of IPL's (Indian Premier League) T20, it has expanded to other areas like UAE & South Africa. Before this tourney in Brampton, the newly launched Major League Cricket in the US just had 3 weeks of games. In less than a decade, with only a 2 month season, IPL tv/streaming rights are only behind the NFL. In Canada, IPL broadcasts main sponsors are 2 banks and 1 life insurer. T20 will go down as the biggest innovation seen for any established team sport.

OneSoccer has said they're open to deals. But it doesn't appear they want to offer freebies anymore. CBC did pay OneSoccer to show delayed and 1 live showings of Canada women WC/Olympics qualifying matches last year. That's in large part driven by CBC's goal to achieve gender parity in sports coverage. So, more receptive to showing new women's league but only in position at best to offset production costs.

The CBC ratings for both Concacaf qualifying & CPL (2019-20) were dismal ex 1 Canada match was in the minimum acceptable range. Since you can watch whatever you want today, the days of if you make it freely available, they will watch are over. 

Edited by red card

I actually think there is hope. Watched the CEBL playoff game last night on TSN and thought it looked great. I bet they get solid ratings for that.

With the Apple TV situation I think Voyageurs Cup just hot a little more valuable for TSN. Package up CPL and there's a possibility. I bet with TSN or Sportsnet putting their back in to it CPL could be a real asset. And of course it would do wonders for the CPL

Edited by SpursFlu

What might be a stupid question, I use a ROKU device to access my OneSoccer stream. The home page has literally not changed for over a month. Can see match replays through the CPL team icons but don't see any new OneSoccer Today or other offerings in the feed at all. Have resorted to finding the latest programs via YouTube. Am I missing something??

1 hour ago, red card said:

It's just a 7 match tourney over about 18 days. Third time being held but paused 3 years because of covid. Chow, Ford & Minister of Immigration have all attended. Attendance is expected to average 4k/day.

CBC can show it because there is no rights fee and no production costs. Given CBC tv's low viewership base (<5% share) that is mainly over 65, it needs new audiences to stay relevant. 

Organizers make their money from broadcast rights sold to major sports broadcasters in India, Australia & South Africa. DAZN showed a previous edition in Canada.

Due to the success of IPL's (Indian Premier League) T20, it has expanded to other areas like UAE & South Africa. Before this tourney in Brampton, the newly launched Major League Cricket in the US just had 3 weeks of games. In less than a decade, with only a 2 month season, IPL tv/streaming rights are only behind the NFL. In Canada, IPL broadcasts main sponsors are 2 banks and 1 life insurer. T20 will go down as the biggest innovation seen for any established team sport.

OneSoccer has said they're open to deals. But it doesn't appear they want to offer freebies anymore. CBC did pay OneSoccer to show delayed and 1 live showings of Canada women WC/Olympics qualifying matches last year. That's in large part driven by CBC's goal to achieve gender parity in sports coverage. So, more receptive to showing new women's league but only in position at best to offset production costs.

The CBC ratings for both Concacaf qualifying & CPL (2019-20) were dismal ex 1 Canada match was in the minimum acceptable range. Since you can watch whatever you want today, the days of if you make it freely available, they will watch are over. 

Totally off topic but totally agree.  The compressed version of the game in T20 is brilliant.  When IPL left DAZN a few years ago I was more than a bit disappointed.  Seriously, short season and all the off field Tom-foolery aside it was a great watch.

Doesn't surprise me (well, not THAT much) that IPL broadcast rights are near the top of table in the US.  

Had the semi-final playing in the background today, doing chores, but caught the last 5 overs during my extended lunch break (Mrs caught me) and that was as good a back and forth to close it out as you could ask.  Tigers batting to victory by a single wicket and only 3 balls remaining.  Rutherford scoring 18 on the 1 st three bowls of the last over after the Knights just took two wickets in two bowls.  Dramatic stuff.

47 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

What might be a stupid question, I use a ROKU device to access my OneSoccer stream. The home page has literally not changed for over a month. Can see match replays through the CPL team icons but don't see any new OneSoccer Today or other offerings in the feed at all. Have resorted to finding the latest programs via YouTube. Am I missing something??

Same for me Ed. I get reruns of Onesoccer Today on the YouTube channel, but definitely not as convenient.  Not sure why they changed.

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

Same for me Ed. I get reruns of Onesoccer Today on the YouTube channel, but definitely not as convenient.  Not sure why they changed.

OK Not a end-user issue then, as the help desk guys say.

3 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Totally off topic but totally agree.  The compressed version of the game in T20 is brilliant.  When IPL left DAZN a few years ago I was more than a bit disappointed.  Seriously, short season and all the off field Tom-foolery aside it was a great watch.

Doesn't surprise me (well, not THAT much) that IPL broadcast rights are near the top of table in the US.  

Had the semi-final playing in the background today, doing chores, but caught the last 5 overs during my extended lunch break (Mrs caught me) and that was as good a back and forth to close it out as you could ask.  Tigers batting to victory by a single wicket and only 3 balls remaining.  Rutherford scoring 18 on the 1 st three bowls of the last over after the Knights just took two wickets in two bowls.  Dramatic stuff.

Not to take this off topic (but I will), I find so many of these T20 leagues to be so artificial and contrived.  I mean, calling a team Vancouver so and so or Montreal when in fact, they don’t actually ever play there seems absurd to me.   For CBC to broadcast this doesn’t offend me though; this Global T20 tournament has a niche, very passionate market and a potentially large one at that.  

However, I’ll stick with test cricket, thank you.

13 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Not to take this off topic (but I will), I find so many of these T20 leagues to be so artificial and contrived.  I mean, calling a team Vancouver so and so or Montreal when in fact, they don’t actually ever play there seems absurd to me.

I mean, the CPL has a team named Vancouver and they don't play there either. 😉

On 8/5/2023 at 10:01 PM, Ed_S said:

OK Not a end-user issue then, as the help desk guys say.

I have the same issue. If you go to the left menu it has Home, Scheule, Video Archive, Match Replays, Highlights. If you select Match Replays it includes things like One Soccer Today. But I agree, it's annoying and I've basically stopped watching that show outside of youtube clips because the home page doesn't update anymore.

The list of teams on the home page is very out of date too. At least they have gotten rid of Edmonton, but they still don't have Vancouver or even Ottawa, and York United is still listed as York9.

And semi related, I still don't see York United's game from this past weekend anywhere. All other games from the weekend are there (including the Community Shield match between Arsenal and Manchester City) except for York United vs Atletico Ottawa. Until that game is available I have to stay away from CPL's website, couldn't watch other games in case there were spoilers in the commentary, have to stay away from Facebook, it's annoying. If I had known what I know now I would have watched starting from the 20th minute when I got home on Saturday night instead of this.

Just now, Kent said:

I have the same issue. If you go to the left menu it has Home, Scheule, Video Archive, Match Replays, Highlights. If you select Match Replays it includes things like One Soccer Today. But I agree, it's annoying and I've basically stopped watching that show outside of youtube clips because the home page doesn't update anymore.

The list of teams on the home page is very out of date too. At least they have gotten rid of Edmonton, but they still don't have Vancouver or even Ottawa, and York United is still listed as York9.

And semi related, I still don't see York United's game from this past weekend anywhere. All other games from the weekend are there (including the Community Shield match between Arsenal and Manchester City) except for York United vs Atletico Ottawa. Until that game is available I have to stay away from CPL's website, couldn't watch other games in case there were spoilers in the commentary, have to stay away from Facebook, it's annoying. If I had known what I know now I would have watched starting from the 20th minute when I got home on Saturday night instead of this.

Cripes, I just checked the "Video Archive" and it looks like it's the same thing as the "Match Replays" page, except it has the York vs Ottawa game available. I wonder how long it's been there.

The number of leagues available to watch continues to grow in Canada.

DAZN will be showing Roshn Saudi League matches in Canada along with Germany, Austria, Belgium & UK. Deal is reported to be US$500k/yr for 2 years. When Sky UK picked up the league halfway through the last season, they paid 30k. Roshn is a Saudi real estate developer.

DAZN will have 3 matches/week. First match is this Friday at 1400 EDT between Al Ahli & Al Hazm. Then on Monday at 1100, Al Raed take on Benzema's Al Ittihad. At 1400, Henderson's Al Ittifaq will face Ronaldo's Al Nassr.

As with MLS, IMG will be producing the world feed including supplying the graphics & English commentary. IMG & AP will provide news packages and manage social media feeds.

In total, 26 tv/streaming services have signed deals to show RSL in over 130 countries.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/2352026/media

Edited by red card

There is a very interesting two part podcast from BBC Five Live about the attraction of the Saudi League and the possibility of the Saudis holding UEFA & FIFA over a barrel like they did to the PGA.  One future theory is that the Saudis could basically “buy” the UEFA Champions League and include their teams as part of it.  The one thing that I truly believe though is that this won’t be a fleeting thing like the Chinese Super League.  There is way more football history and following in Saudi Arabia than China.  

11 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

There is a very interesting two part podcast from BBC Five Live about the attraction of the Saudi League and the possibility of the Saudis holding UEFA & FIFA over a barrel like they did to the PGA.  One future theory is that the Saudis could basically “buy” the UEFA Champions League and include their teams as part of it.  The one thing that I truly believe though is that this won’t be a fleeting thing like the Chinese Super League.  There is way more football history and following in Saudi Arabia than China.  

I think Covid forced the Chinese league to scale back, moreover, I think they also came to the realization they were never going to compete with the big European teams in the end . They are still allowing foreign plays on their teams but are putting more emphasis on their local players and trying to develop their own players a bit more .The Chinese league was going crazy just like the Saudi League is now but I’m still not convinced this crazy spending spree but the Saudi’s will last let’s see.

5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

How would you even "buy" the Champions League?