OneSoccer

Foreen

8 hours ago, red card said:

11k watched York v Valour on Friday night on FS2.

It was the least watched football match on linear US tv last week. Tops was Mexico/Australia friendly on Saturday night with 1.3 million on Univision/TUDN. 733k watched US friendly with more watching on Spanish language tv.

405k watched NWSL Challenge Cup Final on Saturday afternoon even though due to a weather delay, 90% of any match play shown was last year's NWSL championship final. When the match resumed 2.5 hours later, it was only shown on CBS website.

How is viewership calculated for cable viewers? Is it real viewers with the tv on that channel, a survey to calculate share?

In any case, for all numbers, you have to include there are people who left the channel on after watching the thing before. People who were flipping channels, left it on, then went out for lunch. So I always expect that FS2 has viewship and this is on despite the viewer not really being interested.

I am not exagerrating, a massive % of SuperBowl "viewers" were not actually sitting in front of the screen for more than a quarter. Never mind those preparing food, out in the garden talking on their phone, the kids who were really gaming while sitting beside dad. Even big events have soft viewership. 

Not to take away from that 11,000, but does anyone really think there are that many people who saw York-Valour because they checked the schedule and watched it with interest? (Comparably, considering there are significant contingents of Irish nationals in the US, the figure for their France fixture is very low, but maybe with rugby going those fans are less into football; or maybe it was the time of day).

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How is viewership calculated for cable viewers? Is it real viewers with the tv on that channel, a survey to calculate share?

In any case, for all numbers, you have to include there are people who left the channel on after watching the thing before. People who were flipping channels, left it on, then went out for lunch. So I always expect that FS2 has viewship and this is on despite the viewer not really being interested.

I am not exagerrating, a massive % of SuperBowl "viewers" were not actually sitting in front of the screen for more than a quarter. Never mind those preparing food, out in the garden talking on their phone, the kids who were really gaming while sitting beside dad. Even big events have soft viewership. 

Not to take away from that 11,000, but does anyone really think there are that many people who saw York-Valour because they checked the schedule and watched it with interest? (Comparably, considering there are significant contingents of Irish nationals in the US, the figure for their France fixture is very low, but maybe with rugby going those fans are less into football; or maybe it was the time of day).

During covid, US basically moved to the system Canada has had for about a decade.

A sample of people get a portable people meter and a small box to be attached to every tv in a home. It picks up a certain broadcast signal to determine how long you're watching a program. So, if you move out of audio range, it stops considering you as a viewer. If you're watching in a bar, it will count you as a viewer if the sound is on. It captures streaming also but it won't capture many illegal streams as the unique signal id is often gone. The box attached to the tv also helps in confirming number of people in room watching.

The new system has boosted sports tv audience levels in both Canada & the US by about 10% as it eliminates inconsistent self-reporting and it better captures multiple viewers in a room + out of home viewing. It has boosted US audience levels by over 20% for sports shown during major holidays and tent pole events like the Super Bowl since it is better at capturing group viewing in a house. 

But yes, there is more soft viewership included given the increase in group viewers included and you only need to watch for 2 minutes to be included in the average number of viewers. It has shown only about 10% of viewers watch sports outside their home and the main out-of-home location is another person's home.

Edited by red card

I've been approached a couple of times by whoever does the ratings. And I've refused, because there's no way in the world that the kids would co-operate. Alright for those with pockets perhaps ...

I don't know why they just don't monitor my cable box, roku, streaming services, etc ...

A summary of what I remember being in the deleted Reddit post:

An entity called Timeless Inc rather than Mediapro Canada made the complaint to the CRTC about Rogers Cable.

Timeless Inc appears to be owned by CSB because it is a shell company with the same CEO.

The impasse with the CRTC dispute resolution appears to be over who owns Onesoccer.

Rogers appear to be asserting it is owned by Mediapro Canada.

The graphic posted to Reddit appeared to be a letter explaining why this is not the case.

It explained that Onesoccer webstream system is owned by Mediapro Canada and has some sort of digital exemption.

However, Onesoccer's dealing with BDU's (Canadian multichannel television providers see this wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multichannel_television_in_Canada) is owned by Timeless Inc (i.e. likely CSB through a shell company) leading to some other type of exemption.

Graphic went on to explain that Mediapro Canada provides the content for Timeless Inc in this context.

The Reddit poster asked the obvious question as to what this would imply, if accurate, about who is paying who for rights and production costs at this point.   

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 9/13/2023 at 6:03 PM, BearcatSA said:

One thing that has changed the dynamic of sports viewership is the in-match sports betting component.  In a few years' time, we'll see more in-depth analysis with the building of data North America-wide.

I didn't say before, but I appreciate this post, it makes me realize there is viewership related to betting that doesn't correspond to any particular interest in the match.

But it'd be interesting to know what that represents.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I didn't say before, but I appreciate this post, it makes me realize there is viewership related to betting that doesn't correspond to any particular interest in the match.

But it'd be interesting to know what that represents.

I think we'll see enough data available to study for notable trends even in a couple of years, once sports betting addiction starts becoming a serious epidemic with mainly younger men leading to a bunch of other major problems.

This is nothing like a punter placing a wager at Ladbrokes in an earlier era in England.  The potential for this to skyrocket is huge when impulsivity in society is at an all time high.

Having been around two close friends who have had gambling ruin their lives, it's a personal issue for me.  I hope I am wrong about the future of online sports betting.

28 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I think we'll see enough data available to study for notable trends even in a couple of years, once sports betting addiction starts becoming a serious epidemic with mainly younger men leading to a bunch of other major problems.

This is nothing like a punter placing a wager at Ladbrokes in an earlier era in England.  The potential for this to skyrocket is huge when impulsivity in society is at an all time high.

Having been around two close friends who have had gambling ruin their lives, it's a personal issue for me.  I hope I am wrong about the future of online sports betting.

I think it's already at epidemic levels, without a doubt. But the money being moved, and the sponsorship, means the real problem (you will lose most of the time but keep playing) just gets buried.

But I'm not sure viewership numbers of soccer are reflecting the scale of betting, probably just a small part of it.

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think it's already at epidemic levels, without a doubt. But the money being moved, and the sponsorship, means the real problem (you will lose most of the time but keep playing) just gets buried.

But I'm not sure viewership numbers of soccer are reflecting the scale of betting, probably just a small part of it.

It gets buried because governments make lots of money off of it.  And they have the usual disclaimers, "know your limit, blah blah, blah" but they know that they have a great vice tax cash cow.

As for the CPL soccer viewership, probably just a small part but I would like to know the trends compared to other sports viewing.

A bit after the fact but it has been announced that OneSoccer has renewed rights to Concacaf Nations League for 2023-24. 

At least one group stage match per round in September and October will be shown live, with all remaining matches available on a delayed basis. Quarters onwards will be shown live.

https://www.sportcal.com/media/onesoccer-secures-rights-to-2023-24-concacaf-nations-league/?cf-view

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2023 at 10:33 AM, BearcatSA said:

Since I figure that Jon Conway will be getting the sack from TFC some time soon, I wonder if his wife can get him a gig with One Soccer as a talking head?  Heck, they could do a Kristen Bell/Dax Shepard schtick for a possible program.

As expected, Conway is gone, so let's make that show happen!

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it that One Soccer can put up an edited highlights package of the Canada-Japan match fairly soon after the game's completion but I can't see a replay of the entire match even now, over two hours later?  I wasn't getting up at 3:30 AM PDT to watch it, so I had hoped to get up later (6:00 AM) to see the replay without knowing the result.  If it was on TV, I would just PVR and go from there.  Am I missing that feature on the site that can do a similar thing?    

On 10/13/2023 at 11:14 AM, BearcatSA said:

I don't have Fubo.

I just subscribed to One Soccer for a month to get the CPL playoffs and then this match, basically.

There is no recording on OneSoccer. It's a bit hit and miss how quickly they get replays up. Sometimes it will be up in a couple hours, sometimes it's a day later. Depending on the device you are using, it might be difficult to find the game as well. On my Roku they stopped updating the recently added section months ago, so I have to go to "Archives" or something like that.

42 minutes ago, Kent said:

There is no recording on OneSoccer. It's a bit hit and miss how quickly they get replays up. Sometimes it will be up in a couple hours, sometimes it's a day later. Depending on the device you are using, it might be difficult to find the game as well. On my Roku they stopped updating the recently added section months ago, so I have to go to "Archives" or something like that.

That's not acceptable.  

Not in this technology/internet/AI age.  It's amateur.

18 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

That's not acceptable.  

Not in this technology/internet/AI age.  It's amateur.

I haven't compiled data to corroborate, but I feel like it's all about timing. I get the feeling it's manually uploaded and there is just 1 or 2 people responsible for it. Furthermore, I feel like the guy uploading the replays works in Spain, so depending on the time of the day the game finishes, he might get to it right away, or he might be sleeping due to the time difference and it will have to wait. But yeah, it's very annoying when you get home and know the game is 10 or 15 minutes in, so you have to decide if you should wait 5 hours or a couple days for the replay, or miss the first 15 minutes of the game. Neither are good options.

And on the Spain time zone topic, the Roku app's schedule flips over to the next day at midnight Spain time, so at 7pm Eastern time you can't see what is going to be on that evening. I don't think this is ever going to get fixed.