OneSoccer

Foreen

14 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Is OneSoccer still free for season ticket holders? Asking because I just got my Whitecaps renewal and Apple+ is being listed as a free benefit again, and I've lost track on what's happening with OneSoccer.

Wasn't for me this year. 

20 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Is OneSoccer still free for season ticket holders? Asking because I just got my Whitecaps renewal and Apple+ is being listed as a free benefit again, and I've lost track on what's happening with OneSoccer.

Not for Valour SSH.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Brilliant. They’ve got some great perspectives 

I like Sharman and Forrest, and I thought it initially started strong, but over time drifted more in to running jokes and a lengthy opening skit I never found funny. Eventually gave up on it.  How much of it is about gambling now?

On 8/10/2023 at 9:56 AM, JamboAl said:

There is a very interesting two part podcast from BBC Five Live about the attraction of the Saudi League and the possibility of the Saudis holding UEFA & FIFA over a barrel like they did to the PGA.  One future theory is that the Saudis could basically “buy” the UEFA Champions League and include their teams as part of it.

It looks like I'm too late to listen: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001p8yp Did you get it on the Football Daily podcast feed?

On 8/10/2023 at 3:38 PM, Watchmen said:

How would you even "buy" the Champions League?

Invite the clubs to a "Champions League" tournament with significantly higher payouts than what UEFA offers. Owning some of the European Champions League clubs would help too.

Edited by Rivaldo

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

12 clubs tried that, and it did not go well for them.

But the opposition to the Super League was focused on the closed nature of the competition. The founding members didn't have to qualify. With independent ownership that wouldn't have to be an issue.

On 9/5/2023 at 8:05 PM, red card said:

Footy Prime will have 1 hour show on OneSoccer starting next Monday night. A few years back, they were on DAZN but disappeared after a few episodes...

How long before we have Anthony Totera's Red Card resurrected on Onesoccer complete with some of his patented table thumping against a fake stadium backdrop? Guess to be fair they could do a lot worse than some of his interviews as schedule filler.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 9/7/2023 at 1:06 PM, Rivaldo said:

No CONCACAF Nations League group games on OneSoccer?

They're on Paramount+ in the US. The CONCACAF site says OneSoccer has Nations League rights but maybe that was just for the 2022-23 edition.

OneSoccer has CPL matches Friday and Saturday so that's at least a reason they might not show the Nations League at the same time, but why not when there is no CPL?

Edited by Rivaldo

23 hours ago, Rivaldo said:

But the opposition to the Super League was focused on the closed nature of the competition. The founding members didn't have to qualify. With independent ownership that wouldn't have to be an issue.

I think you'd get the same result: backlash from fans and blocking from federations/UEFA to any clubs that participated, especially since clubs that participated last time basically signed up to be on their best behavior (for now).

If Saudi Arabia wants to participate  they'd be better off trying to switch confederations to UEFA, like Kazakhstan.

On 9/8/2023 at 3:31 PM, Watchmen said:

I think you'd get the same result: backlash from fans and blocking from federations/UEFA to any clubs that participated, especially since clubs that participated last time basically signed up to be on their best behavior (for now).

Oh yeah, there would be backlash, but how many people thought the Saudis would end up owning a significant part of the PGA?

On 9/8/2023 at 3:31 PM, Watchmen said:

If Saudi Arabia wants to participate they'd be better off trying to switch confederations to UEFA, like Kazakhstan.

That's not "buying" the Champions League though.  Do you think UEFA would even consider taking in Saudi Arabia? It doesn't have geographical links like Kazakhstan and Israel had been expelled from Asia.

They have opportunities play top UEFA clubs in the Club World Cup especially with the 2025 expansion. Maybe they could negotiate a guest spot in the Champions League.

Edited by Rivaldo
Club World Cup not World Club Cup

22 minutes ago, Rivaldo said:

They have opportunities play top UEFA clubs in the World Club Cup especially with the 2025 expansion. Maybe they could negotiate a guest spot in the Champions League.

And I think this is the way they actually go. Attempt to boost the profile of World Club Cup and then compete against the big clubs there.

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

And I think this is the way they actually go. Attempt to boost the profile of World Club Cup and then compete against the big clubs there.

If you're keen about raising the profile of an entire confederation, the club cup isn't enough. 

And then if it's the Saudis driving the Asian profile, they're not going far with blasé fanbases half-filling stadiums. And the essential dictatorial culture scaring off any notion of throngs in stands, women included. We saw how indifferent they were even in "liberal" Qatar.

China is the biggest league failure in the history of football, because you can't force people to go. And if there's no sense of propriety, symbolical mostly, you aren't even going to harness that. I have no idea what sport moves China in that way, and don't tell me it has a racquet or a paddle.

At least the US has population and disposable income and passion for sports to go along with their avid building of infrastructure for it.

But European football is the best, it has the most storied clubs, fanbases, rivalries, it's democratic (moreso than elsewhere), and if you want prestige, it's where you play. Losing the odd World Club Cup won't change that.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you're keen about raising the profile of an entire confederation, the club cup isn't enough. 

And then if it's the Saudis driving the Asian profile, they're not going far with blasé fanbases half-filling stadiums. 

The conversation was focused on what Saudi Arabia does, and I don't think they care about the confederation. They care about raising the profile of Saudi Arabia. A way to do that would be through the WCC, where their better teams would participate (assuming they win the AFC Champions League). I don't think it would matter, I'm just saying it's a method I could see them attempting.

11k watched York v Valour on Friday night on FS2.

It was the least watched football match on linear US tv last week. Tops was Mexico/Australia friendly on Saturday night with 1.3 million on Univision/TUDN. 733k watched US friendly with more watching on Spanish language tv.

405k watched NWSL Challenge Cup Final on Saturday afternoon even though due to a weather delay, 90% of any match play shown was last year's NWSL championship final. When the match resumed 2.5 hours later, it was only shown on CBS website.

Edited by red card

38 minutes ago, red card said:

11k watched York v Valour on Friday night on FS2.

It was the least watched football match on linear US tv last week. Tops was Mexico/Australia friendly on Saturday night with 1.3 million on Univision/TUDN. 733k watched US friendly with more watching on Spanish language tv.

405k watched NWSL Challenge Cup Final on Saturday afternoon even though due to a weather delay, 90% of any match play shown was last year's NWSL championship final. When the match resumed 2.5 hours later, it was only shown on CBS website.

That seems like a pretty good number for the CPL in the US.