Jayden Nelson

KW519

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, the cross was precise - the guy just headed back across on too much of an angle.  He also had a pretty tricky attack and just couldn’t beat the last guy.  Throw in a shot or two in attack and it has been a solid half for him so far.  

He will still just be 23 when WC2026 rolls around.  That puts him at 23, 27, and 31 for the next 3 WC cycles.  With his skillset and the improvements in focus that seem to be happening at Rosenborg, I am pretty optimistic that he will be a big time player for us for years to come.  

I just wish they weren’t grooming him to be a left winger…

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

No assist but just won the ball and then made the pass that started the attack for the opener.  

That whole play started with him.  Great interception and quick pass to start the break.  He's done well reading the play defensively and intercepting several passes.  Although Rosenborg has probably had less of the play, he definitely has stood out this half, in a good way.

Big 3 points for Rosenborg in the end. They scored late off a corner after Tromso equalised and went down to 10 men ( via the same player)

Nelson was playing were he wanted (hopefully with the coach's blessings) when they were looking for the go-ahead goal.  Looked pretty gassed in the closing stages. But looks like he has a big role these days.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

• 2 weeks later...

The bad news is he probably should have had 2 goals late on.  Just missed the ball on one chance and then pushed it too far when he should have been in alone on the keep at the very end.  Still good after being down 2-0 at half but he needs to be more clinical if he wants to outgrow this level. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

On 7/30/2023 at 12:56 PM, dyslexic nam said:

The bad news is he probably should have had 2 goals late on.  Just missed the ball on one chance and then pushed it too far when he should have been in alone on the keep at the very end.  Still good after being down 2-0 at half but he needs to be more clinical if he wants to outgrow this level. 

I am just glad  he is getting some playing time in Europe  and continues to improve his play in Norway  hoping he can a transfer to a Holland Belguim or even France 

Just now, gigi riva said:

I am just glad  he is getting some playing time in Europe  and continues to improve his play in Norway  hoping he can a transfer to a Holland Belguim or even France 

I remember watching him play for TFC last year vs San Jose and the amount of criticsism he was getting from the Supporters was very annoying, and made very angry .

8 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Should have played more over brym and/or fraser at the Gold Cup

This doesn't even make sense... Fraser? Is a DM....Brym? Played striker.

The person he would've had to play over would've been Millar.

59 minutes ago, Shway said:

That's true, but for me Millar should have been used more upfront and Nelson more in the middle. Just on talent alone it's hard to see why both were not starters for that Canada side.

I feel the Bombito midfield experiment took a spot away from Nelson in midfield.

I feel the coach should have found a way to get those two (Millar and Nelson) on the field with Hoilett, Osorio, Cavallini, Laryea, Vitoria and Miller. It's all moot now, but we could have gone with Ahmed at left back, Miller and Vitoria at CB, Richie at RB, then any front-6 combination of Nelson, Millar, Cavallini, Osorio, Hoilett and Fraser, or Bombito if not Fraser. To me that would have gotten the most talent on the field.

8 hours ago, Shway said:

I know their positions, but there are ways to move things around with other players to get Nelson on the field instead of brym/fraser is what I mean.