Jayden Nelson

KW519

2 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

I hope they play him at all, I still think there is a stigma for Canadians playing in Europe.

Yes there is definitely I think this is something a lot of people don’t seem to understand when it comes to Canadian players going to Europe. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Ísak Snaer Thorvaldsson is an option for left wing, who just joined the club. Ditto Kristall Máni Ingason, who seemed to join the second half of last season. 

Erlend Dahl Reitan seems to be the top choice at right wing, but got shifted to CB for the 2nd half of the season

Stefano Holmquist Vecchia seems to be another right-wing option, but almost played exclusively at CF

Carlo Holse seems to be the top choice at attacking/centre midfield, but capable of playing on the right wing (and listed as a right winger on wiki)

Considering this, I am going to speculate that Nelson will start at left wing ahead of the Icelandic players, with maybe a view of replacing Holse as the attacking midfielder if he gets sold or needs a break, gets injured, etc. 

image.thumb.png.c2956d4e9280c61fe214b64835bb15e2.png

Edit - I guess it depends on why Retain moved to CB and if that's going to be his permanent position. If so, perhaps we see Nelson at right wing, with one of those Icelandic Internationals taking the left-wing spot.

Just from a quick look at some of their games at the end of last year, it looks like they play some variation of 3-5-2 don’t they? You’d have to assume he’s an 8 or 10 if that’s the case. Wouldn’t want to see him as wingback.

25 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Just from a quick look at some of their games at the end of last year, it looks like they play some variation of 3-5-2 don’t they? You’d have to assume he’s an 8 or 10 if that’s the case. Wouldn’t want to see him as wingback.

Nice digging. Perhaps the plan is for him and Holse to play as dual 8s/10s. Should be interesting. I agree that Nelson is not coming in to be a wingback. I would be surprised. 

18 hours ago, Obinna said:

Ísak Snaer Thorvaldsson is an option for left wing, who just joined the club. Ditto Kristall Máni Ingason, who seemed to join the second half of last season. 

Erlend Dahl Reitan seems to be the top choice at right wing, but got shifted to CB for the 2nd half of the season

Stefano Holmquist Vecchia seems to be another right-wing option, but almost played exclusively at CF

Carlo Holse seems to be the top choice at attacking/centre midfield, but capable of playing on the right wing (and listed as a right winger on wiki)

Considering this, I am going to speculate that Nelson will start at left wing ahead of the Icelandic players, with maybe a view of replacing Holse as the attacking midfielder if he gets sold or needs a break, gets injured, etc. 

image.thumb.png.c2956d4e9280c61fe214b64835bb15e2.png

Edit - I guess it depends on why Retain moved to CB and if that's going to be his permanent position. If so, perhaps we see Nelson at right wing, with one of those Icelandic Internationals taking the left-wing spot.

There is Ole Saeter that was rumoured to be coming to TFC! I wonder if he was potentially going to be included as part of the Jayden Nelson transfer originally?

53 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

There is Ole Saeter that was rumoured to be coming to TFC! I wonder if he was potentially going to be included as part of the Jayden Nelson transfer originally?

Good catch. Wasn't aware of that link. He has 14 goals for Rosenborg last year. Would have been interesting to see how that translates to MLS, given that some of us are really focused on the inferiority of Rosenborg/Norway compared to Toronto/MLS.

I see they're doing preseason in Canary Islands, in Maspalomas. Jealous. I went without being that interested and booking 2 days ahead during Covid as it was really cheap and loved it, Maspalomas has low end trashy tourism, then very high end, there are hotels at 900-1000 euros a night. The history, the volcanic landscape... recommended.

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Good catch. Wasn't aware of that link. He has 14 goals for Rosenborg last year. Would have been interesting to see how that translates to MLS, given that some of us are really focused on the inferiority of Rosenborg/Norway compared to Toronto/MLS.

I don't think the Norwegian league is superior to MLS, but if Nelson can tear that league up, maybe he can get a transfer to a better league.

Haaland is the only Norwegian player they should be going after. Rogers and Bell gouge us enough to pay the 200 million dollar transfer fee. 😜

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They played Stabaek today in southern Spain, but the Rosenborg website says he is not ready yet and will likely get his first minutes vs. Sandefjord on Sunday.

Thanks for the update. Any indication on whether Patrick Metcalfe will participate for Stabaek?

1 hour ago, jordan said:

Stabæk was loose in updates today, can’t tell if Metcalfe got on, but was on the bench.

This is a good sign. I know it is only preseason, but he must be at least in consideration for a spot on the team this year. Some people were questioning whether he would stick around once Stabaek made the jump back up, but so far so good in that regard.

48 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Damn, Sean Rea moved to Norway too?

This is picture is actually from the future. Taken durning Rosenborg's Spain pre-season training camp, 2024.

As you can see, Rea has joined the team after CF Montreal transferred him to Norway following a stellar 2023, which not only saw him lead the club to another MLS post-season birth, but also make his international debut for Canada, helping the North Americans hoist their first Gold Cup in 23 years.

He links up with Jayden Nelson, his international teammate, who also played a vital role in the Gold Cup victory, but their time together at Rosenborg may be short lived. Spanish clubs are monitoring the Canadian international, who was amongst the top players in Norway and impressed in the 2023-24 group stage of the Europa Conference League.

Now a Norwegian league champion with Rosenborg, Nelson is being heavily linked to numerous Top 5 league clubs, while fellow Canadian Sean Rea is the planned successor for Nelson, should the former TFC man depart in the coming days.

Hope you all enjoyed that bit of fiction. Now let's collectively meditate on it and will it into existence :)

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is picture is actually from the future. Taken durning Rosenborg's Spain pre-season training camp, 2024.

As you can see, Rea has joined the team after CF Montreal transferred him to Norway following a stellar 2023, which not only saw him lead the club to another MLS post-season birth, but also make his international debut for Canada, helping the North Americans hoist their first Gold Cup in 23 years.

He links up with Jayden Nelson, his international teammate, who also played a vital role in the Gold Cup victory, but their time together at Rosenborg may be short lived. Spanish clubs are monitoring the Canadian international, who was amongst the top players in Norway and impressed in the 2023-24 group stage of the Europa Conference League.

Now a Norwegian league champion with Rosenborg, Nelson is being heavily linked to numerous Top 5 league clubs, while fellow Canadian Sean Rea is the planned successor for Nelson, should the former TFC man depart in the coming days.

Hope you all enjoyed that bit of fiction. Now let's collectively meditate on it and will it into existence :)

Well, if Americans get Leeds United, we need a team that just signs every single Canadian possible. Gonna be crazy when Nelson and Rea help Rosenborg qualify for the Super League. Their admirable performances in a tight 7-0 loss to Chelsea away will be the reason every scout in Europe wants to sign them.

• 3 weeks later...