Jayden Nelson

KW519

10 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Here are the highlights. His run / penalty win and goal start at 1:40. Very impressive stuff. Love how he tries to get the ball back right away to take his penalty -- chomping at the bit and roofs it high left:

https://youtu.be/E3IKDYMvikk?si=A6IFLF8ff2Tk2IDg

Probably felt he had to make amends for the first goal :D

But yes nice to see Nelson doing well!

I think there's only a couple games left in his season.

So he do we felt he he did overall?

I won't go back to see what the expectations were, but going off memory I believe we (or at least I) were hoping for a little more offensive output, in the 6-8 goal range. Ditto with assists. No idea how many assists he's racked up, but I think he's on 4 league goals right now and 2 in Conference League qualifying if I recall correctly. 

The conference league goals were nice, but the fact they couldn't get to the tournament proper wasn't, nor was their dismal league campaign. It's been several seasons now since they won, so we can no longer say not winning is a disaster, but given their roster a place outside of the European spots is a disaster but maybe expected given the decline of their club. 

So those were some negatives, but on the flipside it looks like he is finishing strong on a personal level and he's a locked in starter which was the minimum expectation.

Overall I would give his first season abroad a grade of B.

49 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think there's only a couple games left in his season.

So he do we felt he he did overall?

I won't go back to see what the expectations were, but going off memory I believe we (or at least I) were hoping for a little more offensive output, in the 6-8 goal range. Ditto with assists. No idea how many assists he's racked up, but I think he's on 4 league goals right now and 2 in Conference League qualifying if I recall correctly. 

The conference league goals were nice, but the fact they couldn't get to the tournament proper wasn't, nor was their dismal league campaign. It's been several seasons now since they won, so we can no longer say not winning is a disaster, but given their roster a place outside of the European spots is a disaster but maybe expected given the decline of their club. 

So those were some negatives, but on the flipside it looks like he is finishing strong on a personal level and he's a locked in starter which was the minimum expectation.

Overall I would give his first season abroad a grade of B.

image.png.c1fd3d07d8e667d495846c50c0200040.png

On 2/8/2023 at 11:26 AM, Obinna said:

Nice to see the deal cross the line.

Nelson at 4M euros becomes the most valuable player at Rosenborg according to Transfermarkt

The reported 1M fee (well below market value) should only ranks as the 14th most expensive inbound transfer, but the list is not yet updated. That is very good business by Rosenborg. Not great business by Toronto, but better than losing him on a free.

Despite the poor-to-questionable business by Toronto, this actually ranks as the 4th most expensive outbound transfer, which puts into perspective how poor TFC are when it comes to making money in the transfer market. 

From a Canadian perspective, I still think this is a very good move for Nelson. He was near-dominant at the U17 level - can he recapture that in Norway, given the quality of the league is a step down from MLS?

I will stick to my 6G 6A expectation for a satisfactory 2023 season, with anything less being an underperformance and anything over being an overperformance. Let's hope they qualify for Conference. Excited to see what he can do with this opportunity! 

Looks like he is right around satisfactory as I defined it here back in Feb 

I think he grew into the season.  Setting aside the defensive lapses (which he definitely needs to work on) a substantial number of attacks flowers through him during the game yesterday.  He is involved in a ton of their overall offensive play and is obviously seen as a key player.   And give his position in an attacking front 3, I put more weight on his attacking abilities than his defensive deficiencies.   Despite the result, FotMob had him rated highest in the team yesterday so that has to be encouraging.   And regarding Rosenborg’s league position, I chalk a lot of that up to some pretty porous defending at times.  Hard to pin too much of that on the attacker by players.

He didn’t put up the kind of numbers that would get him snatched up for another upwardly mobile move, but I think this is a good (not great) first season in a solid European league and definitely something to build on next year.   I sort of see it like Colyn - these are guys that are plugging away and making steady progress in high-pressure environments where they will constantly face competition from a horde of hungry young kids trying to take their spot.   If they keep on their current trajectory, I am confident they will end up being solid contributors to the national team.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Looks like he is right around satisfactory as I defined it here back in Feb 

On the other hand, he has the second most G/A contributions on Rosenborg- the second was a 27 year old Norwegian league lifer. They have Nypan, still 16 for another 3 weeks, starting nearly every game and being a big part of their offensive productions. I guess what I’m getting at is that I think Nelson deserves a bit more credit since Rosenborg doesn’t seem like they had the best season, and despite that, a lot of their offense still went through Nelson. Hope he gets into the double digit contributions next year though.

8 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

6 goals and 9 assists in 30 games (1840 minutes) for Rosenborg this year. Pretty good.

And the encouraging thing is that he definitely grew into the season.  If he can pick up next year the way he ended this season, I don’t see him staying in Denmark for long. I am not always an advocate for people to keep looking for the next opportunity, but I do see him making another move in the next year or two.  

I assume this is just a table for league assists.  

IMG_3183.jpeg

Edited by dyslexic nam