Jayden Nelson

KW519

I didn't watch last week's match but apparently he is out vs Hearts at Tynecastle today, some Hearts fans think that will be an advantage for the home side, I quote

"Nelson out is massive for us. Can’t believe more of you aren’t much more ecstatic about this.

He was their only outlet in attack last week. Had he not played they wouldn’t have scored. And that was at home.

They will do well to replace him with half the threat he posed."

1 hour ago, gator said:

I didn't watch last week's match but apparently he is out vs Hearts at Tynecastle today, some Hearts fans think that will be an advantage for the home side, I quote

"Nelson out is massive for us. Can’t believe more of you aren’t much more ecstatic about this.

He was their only outlet in attack last week. Had he not played they wouldn’t have scored. And that was at home.

Are you trolling Hearts Kickback again?  🙂  I will have the match in the background while I work.  

1 hour ago, gator said:

Is he injured?

29 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

And with that they are out of Europe :(  

Very disappointing. Didn't watch this match, or any of the matches he's played for Rosenberg, so for those paying more attention than me: is Nelson a massive loss for Rosenberg and that's why they lost, or are they just not that good relative to Hearts regardless of whether Nelson was there or not? Hearts are just starting and Rosenberg are in mid season form, so this feels like an upset. Maybe Hearts are simply looking very good for 23-24?

I was able to catch most of the game and it was a back and forth game.  I think Nelson would have made a difference and stretched the Hearts defense.  It could have easily gone RBK’s way but we rode our luck.  Sorry (not sorry) to see that Nelson won’t be playing in Europe any more this season.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Very disappointing. Didn't watch this match, or any of the matches he's played for Rosenberg, so for those paying more attention than me: is Nelson a massive loss for Rosenberg and that's why they lost, or are they just not that good relative to Hearts regardless of whether Nelson was there or not? Hearts are just starting and Rosenberg are in mid season form, so this feels like an upset. Maybe Hearts are simply looking very good for 23-24?

I don’t think he is the kind of X factor that is make or break for Rosenborg.  He has been doing well and definitely contributing in attack, but I am not sure he would be that sort of difference maker.  He may have tipped the balance in their favour - hard to say.     

22 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t think he is the kind of X factor that is make or break for Rosenborg.  He has been doing well and definitely contributing in attack, but I am not sure he would be that sort of difference maker.  He may have tipped the balance in their favour - hard to say.     

On their forum they're saying he's their fastest player and that they counterattacked in both legs and I know for sure that they did in the first one so he may have been the only threat of a quick counter and Rosenborg didn't have anyone similar to replace him. 

2 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

On their forum they're saying he's their fastest player and that they counterattacked in both legs and I know for sure that they did in the first one so he may have been the only threat of a quick counter and Rosenborg didn't have anyone similar to replace him. 

Without watching myself I expected it was as @dyslexic nam describes, but I was also aware of what their fans were saying. Sounds to me like it's more of a case of the type of player Nelson is than how good he is, but either way it seems like he was a big loss.

Rosenborg lost by multiple goals, so I was curious to know what happened as I didn't watch. How did it play out?

Sometimes a loss by multiple goals is closer than the scoresheet suggests. Maybe that was the case here and the loss of Jayden Nelson really did just "tip the scales"?

He's not Messi, so it couldn't have been mission impossible without him, right? At this stage it seems like he is a solid piece to the team, nothing more. That's perfectly fine, but the fact they lost to Hearts by that many goals makes me question the level of his team, and by extension makes me not want to read much into his "good play".

Or, maybe the level of play is fine and I just really underestimate Hearts ..

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Without watching myself I expected it was as @dyslexic nam describes, but I was also aware of what their fans were saying. Sounds to me like it's more of a case of the type of player Nelson is than how good he is, but either way it seems like he was a big loss.

Rosenborg lost by multiple goals, so I was curious to know what happened as I didn't watch. How did it play out?

Sometimes a loss by multiple goals is closer than the scoresheet suggests. Maybe that was the case here and the loss of Jayden Nelson really did just "tip the scales"?

He's not Messi, so it couldn't have been mission impossible without him, right? At this stage it seems like he is a solid piece to the team, nothing more. That's perfectly fine, but the fact they lost to Hearts by that many goals makes me question the level of his team, and by extension makes me not want to read much into his "good play".

Or, maybe the level of play is fine and I just really underestimate Hearts ..

Rosenborg lost 4-3 on aggregate.  It was a very even game.  There was a deflection for the 3rd (and winning goal) and Rosenborg could have been 3-1 up themselves before Hearts got the 2nd goal.  Who knows if Nelson would have made the difference; it’s very fine margins.  They could have won the tie without him as well. 
And let’s be clear, the best teams in Norway right now are Bodø/Glimt, Molde and Viking.  I have seen B/G a few times and Nelson isn’t good enough to start for them, but B/G is also much better than Hearts.

EDIT: here is a name everyone should remember: Sverre Nypan, 16 years old.  He was probably the most talented player on the pitch and will not be at RBK for long.

16 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Nypan is so good. Rosenborg are gonna make a ton of money when they sell him, and a ton more when his eventual sell on clause is activated a few years later too. He's got really good chemistry with Nelson too, exciting to think about how good those two might end up being by season's end.

Maybe eyes on Nypan make suitors take notice of Nelson as well. Could be a happy little side effect as far as we are concerned.

Edited by Obinna

• 5 weeks later...

Just missed the far post on a shot, had a really sweet through-ball earlier that should have led to a goal and generally playing well offensively.  Looks like they do some pressing so that will help keep him fit.  

They are chasing the game though after going down a goal early.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

Rosenborg just scored a penalty to make it 1-1.  To be honest, I think they've been the slightly better team vs a top team in Bodo/Glimt. Nelson himself has had some incredible skill and it looks like a lot of the attack has come through him today.  I thought he was one of their best players for the 30 minutes or so that I watched that half.  SofaScore have him and goal scorer Saeter with the best rating 7.1 on the field for Rosenborg and only the Bodo/Glimt keeper has a better rating overall.  Went to check FotMob and they have him at 7.3 and only behind goal scorer Saeter.  They have him behind Bodo/Glimt goal scorer and keeper as well.  So looks like it's pretty unanimous that he has had a solid half.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Just realized there’s only 8 games left in the season for him. Norway has 16 teams in the top div, if you’re not playing continental ball or cup matches, your season is pretty short. Rosenborg are squarely out of the European places for next season too, shame he won’t get any more games next year either.

It's feeling like a Millar/Basel situation. Go to traditional heavy weight in a smaller top flight and hope to be part of their rejuvenation. Didn't work out so well for Liam, but great news is that he has one foot out the door on loan with a club that will push for promotion to the EPL.

Hopefully Rosenborg get their act together and win something next season. The league or a domestic cup. Then maybe Nelson moves on or at least has a proper run at Europe for 25-26, although to be honest by then I hope he's already done enough to have been moved on.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

It's feeling like a Millar/Basel situation. Go to traditional heavy weight in a smaller top flight and hope to be part of their rejuvenation. Didn't work out so well for Liam, but great news is that he has one foot out the door on loan with a club that will push for promotion to the EPL.

Hopefully Rosenborg get their act together and win something next season. The league or a domestic cup. Then maybe Nelson moves on or at least has a proper run at Europe for 25-26, although to be honest by then I hope he's already done enough to have been moved on.

Yeah I don't think for where Nelson is in his career that champions league football is going to be his make or break, I think he needs as many games as possible to showcase his talents and get in front of scouts. I think even though Rosenborg isn't a top team this year, they have some attractive players for sale including that Nypan kid, so as long as JN is one of the best players on his team, I think he'll get noticed and his move will come. If he can build off this year, start nearly every game next year and get to that 15 or so goal contribution mark, that'll be a very successful season that will get him out of Norway.

22 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah I don't think for where Nelson is in his career that champions league football is going to be his make or break, I think he needs as many games as possible to showcase his talents and get in front of scouts. I think even though Rosenborg isn't a top team this year, they have some attractive players for sale including that Nypan kid, so as long as JN is one of the best players on his team, I think he'll get noticed and his move will come. If he can build off this year, start nearly every game next year and get to that 15 or so goal contribution mark, that'll be a very successful season that will get him out of Norway.

I'd buy that.

Would also add that Nelson is roughly around the same age Millar was when he joined Basel...and Liam still hasn't fully moved on from Basel yet (though I am optimistic he will). 

I hope Nelson gets out of Norway quicker than Millar has gotten out of Switzerland. So far Jayden hasn't had as good of a debut season compared to Millar.