Jayden Nelson

KW519

Spirited game.  Lots of cards.

Nelson needs to learn to keep his cool.  When a ref is happy to hand out cards you probably shouldn't applaud in the face of a player who was just sent off.  

Will be interesting to see what he can do offensively since they are a man-up.  That's if his coach doesn't sub him out for being a bit careless...

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Spirited game.  Lots of cards.

Nelson needs to learn to keep his cool.  When a ref is happy to hand out cards you probably shouldn't applaud in the face of a player who was just sent off.  

Will be interesting to see what he can do offensively since they are a man-up.  That's if his coach doesn't sub him out for being a bit careless...

I just tuned in around the 30th minute, in time to see all the drama you described.

Just a quick comment regarding those minutes. I just really like and appreciate how comfortable Nelson is on the ball. The flair and close control would be welcomed in the Canadian midfield if I were the coach. I don't expect to see him there, sadly.

Regardless, I think he's one of the fringe players we should be considering for November. Tricky and pacy and able to hold onto the ball. He even had Jamaica heritage. Cmon Beillo call up my boy Jayden.

I acknowledge there isn't much room for another wide player and he's behind Millar, Buchanan and Davies, but if Corbeanu is out injured he's ahead of Theo and Schaffleburg (who I appreciate) isn't the technical dribbler this Canada side needs right now. He could also be out of action if Nashville doesn't advance.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I just tuned in around the 30th minute, in time to see all the drama you described.

Just a quick comment regarding those minutes. I just really like and appreciate how comfortable Nelson is on the ball. The flair and close control would be welcomed in the Canadian midfield if I were the coach. I don't expect to see him there, sadly.

Regardless, I think he's one of the fringe players we should be considering for November. Tricky and pacy and able to hold onto the ball. He even had Jamaica heritage. Cmon Beillo call up my boy Jayden.

I acknowledge there isn't much room for another wide player and he's behind Millar, Buchanan and Davies, but if Corbeanu is out injured he's ahead of Theo and Schaffleburg (who I appreciate) isn't the technical dribbler this Canada side needs right now. He could also be out of action if Nashville doesn't advance.

Yeah, with our depth of wide attacking talent, he is looking at a pretty big logjam in front of him.  I really hoped he would be molded into a CAM as I think his skillset wouldn't be out of place in that sort of role, but he definitely seems to be settled into that wide position.  I think his pace probably creates some inertia to use him out there.  

I try to watch his games whenever I can, and I think some people underrate his speed.  He really is fast and seems to maintain good control at speed.  That is why I wish we could get a look at him with the nats - I think his style would fit well with our speedy counters.  

He still need to work on the defensive side of his game though.  Even as an attacker, it seems like he lets his man get by him and then has to burst to try and get back into position.  But with his position it can sometimes be hard to know where is defensive duties begin and end compared to the wide mid.  

He also needs to learn how to walk that line between agitator and maniac (the "Laryea space").  Right now he is too reckless and seems to cross the line into stupidity a bit too often.

30 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He'd be out of action for a maximum of 10 days. Hardly a concern, IMO.

47 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

He also needs to learn how to walk that line between agitator and maniac (the "Laryea space").  Right now he is too reckless and seems to cross the line into stupidity a bit too often.

For sure, but absolutely LOVE his brashness, especialy considering his age. Crazy to think he turned 21 only a month ago and is Canada's youngest capped "attacker" playing and performing at a decent level atm...correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by PegCityCam

34 minutes ago, RS said:

He'd be out of action for a maximum of 10 days. Hardly a concern, IMO.

Agreed. The difference between him and guys who play closer to the window will be negligible in terms of fitness. Not sure if there is any mental advantage a player would have advancing further into the post versus being knocked out.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, with our depth of wide attacking talent, he is looking at a pretty big logjam in front of him.  I really hoped he would be molded into a CAM as I think his skillset wouldn't be out of place in that sort of role, but he definitely seems to be settled into that wide position.  I think his pace probably creates some inertia to use him out there.  

I try to watch his games whenever I can, and I think some people underrate his speed.  He really is fast and seems to maintain good control at speed.  That is why I wish we could get a look at him with the nats - I think his style would fit well with our speedy counters.  

He still need to work on the defensive side of his game though.  Even as an attacker, it seems like he lets his man get by him and then has to burst to try and get back into position.  But with his position it can sometimes be hard to know where is defensive duties begin and end compared to the wide mid.  

Pretty much echos my thoughts. And yeah his speed has always been pretty good. Do you think it's possible he looks faster in Norway due to other players being slower, or have you not noticed a difference? I find myself noticing that he looks faster but maybe I was just underrating or not noticing his speed in MLS. Thoughts?

36 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Agreed. The difference between him and guys who play closer to the window will be negligible in terms of fitness. Not sure if there is any mental advantage a player would have advancing further into the post versus being knocked out.

Pretty much echos my thoughts. And yeah his speed has always been pretty good. Do you think it's possible he looks faster in Norway due to other players being slower, or have you not noticed a difference? I find myself noticing that he looks faster but maybe I was just underrating or not noticing his speed in MLS. Thoughts?

I remember seeing him burst with pace in MLS.  He didn’t seem to use it as much back then but he may have had a more constrained role.

I know if I went back far enough in this thread, I would find a post about his pace back then.   I don’t think the guys he is up against now are particularly slow.  And hopefully it is more noticeable now because he is aware of the advantage he has and is working hard to improve what he is already good at.  He does seem genuinely fast.  

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Down 3-0 at half. Was going to tune in after the break, but not sure if I should even bother with that scoreline.

I mainly watch for the attacking play since that is his primary role.  Rosenborg have been pretty weak defensively in way too many games so the scoreline isn’t too surprising.   I am just hoping Jayden can pop up with an offensive contribution or two.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Off in the 77th minute.  Didn’t have much impact on the game though he had a couple half-chances.  Sort of drifted out of this one.  

Yeah was actually nice to see them claw back, but I agree with your assessment. He wasn't really too involved.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

And then earns a penalty through a really pacy attack.  Grabs the ball to take it and then buries an unstoppable PK  

If he can just learn to tidy things up in terms of cheap turnovers he will take a big step forward    

Might be the difference between being on the fringes and a regular call up, because skill wise he should be part of every selection. Like you say, just got to be more consistent in possession and such. Meanwhile, drawing, taking, and converting the pen is a good sign. Learning to be the man will help his odds of a call up too.

48 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Might be the difference between being on the fringes and a regular call up, because skill wise he should be part of every selection. Like you say, just got to be more consistent in possession and such. Meanwhile, drawing, taking, and converting the pen is a good sign. Learning to be the man will help his odds of a call up too.

Yeah, he really does need to tidy up the giveaways.  Agree that if he does that he will substantially strengthen his case for a callup.  

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Nelson is a guy that if we are going to start slowly  replacing some of the older guys, then he  is one I would at the very least like to see on the bench to come on in situations like the other night against Jamaica when we needed to get a goal.

With the same the subs that went down, the coaching staff left a similar attack-minded mid (Ahmed) on the bench.

Edited by BearcatSA