2019 CONCACAF U17 Championship

Kent

10 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Just some the players not called up for the camp. What a joke !! There must be a deal between MLS and the CSA! 

GK - Owen Goodman Crystal palace

MF/ST- Marcelo Flores Arsenal

RW - Theodor Corbeanu ( Romania)-Wolverhampton Wanderers U18

W - Kilian Bourleau - TSV Grünwald U19

MF - Raul Matton - TuS Grevenbroich U17

MF - Noah Pacheco - Chievo Verona International Academy U17

DF - Scott Sidawi - Rood Groen LVC'01

MF - Logan Cavaco - CF Belenenses

ST Luke Rosettani-AD Oeiras

Defender - Remedi Llalpi - Valencia Soccer Academy

MF- Fabian Bouleau- Älvsjö AIK FF

GK - Andy Käppeli - FC Zürich

MF - David Sloane - Carrigaline United

ST- Saviola Elva - Big Players FC

Defender - Alejandro Francisco Kukovica- Connah's Quay Nomads FC

ST - Rafael Pinzon - Escuela de Fútbol Cruz Azul

How old is this kid? I referee a lot of Premier League academy matches, particularly Crystal Palace. I've done all their teams from U10 through U18 in the last 12 months. I'm actually reffing their U14s versus Southampton tomorrow morning.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

How old is this kid? I referee a lot of Premier League academy matches, particularly Crystal Palace. I've done all their teams from U10 through U18 in the last 12 months. I'm actually reffing their U14s versus Southampton tomorrow morning.

He's 15 born in 2003 

6 hours ago, Fullback said:

I am sorry to say it really is not. Look at the squads that qualified in 2011 and 2013. Not a lot of senior team contribution.

I honestly dont think there is another country in the world that cares about U17 teams as much as we do

No, the US cares the most.

Their supporters use the platform to extoll the virtues of 2-3 players who will be the final piece in the puzzle in bringing the US to the promise land - a World Cup title. Given they didn't make it all last time, they have moved over to hyping 4-5 players who'll make it big in a top 5 club in a top 5 Euro league. 

All the youth World Cup club matches are shown on American tv. The announcers will inevitably extrapolate a few shining moments of a couple of American players to wax excitedly about how this will result in an awesome future for the MLS while being interrupted by a goal or two.

Edited by red card

It always amazes me why someone (anyone) doesn't ask the CSA why such and such a player was not invited to a camp (all levels). Why does it always have to be a big secret? If a player refused a call up I would like to know (as would the majority here). Thank-you thank-you very much.

Edited by MtlMario

37 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

It always amazes me why someone (anyone) doesn't ask the CSA why such and such a player was not invited to a camp (all levels). Why does it always have to be a big secret? If a player refused a call up I would like to know (as would the majority here). Thank-you thank-you very much.

Because the media doesn't want to run afoul of the CSA and lose their access. It's pretty obvious.

On 3/2/2019 at 5:06 AM, SpecialK said:

Just some the players not called up for the camp. What a joke !! There must be a deal between MLS and the CSA! 

Shouldn’t be calling anyone from some of those clubs. Some of them look like the placement academies.

Corbeanu is representing Romania after not having CSA contact for quite sometime 

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

If they really are just being lazy and getting recommendations from the 3 MLS teams, couldn't they at least be just a touch less lazy and ask at least Sigma for some recommendations as well?

At the very least....plenty of good players coming out of Sigma, is there some sort of ontario internal grudge going on there??  And David was not at a MLS academy either.

Come on Herdman!!  Back up the happy feely talk with some action. The excel program is your baby, you hired Oliveri.  This excel program visiting just the MLS academies is Baloney.  Shake the bushes a little, we've seen some decent players totally skipped by CDN youth teams and MLS academies.  Buzz word, cliche, buzz word, synergy, culture, tactical periodization..... if not you then who?? I am serous, you are in charge, lets see something different eh??  I know you have time, you do TV interviews and speechs, and its not like we are playing any games.  

It is understandable that we, and the USA value the U17 so much. We have literally nothing to offer that age group.  No prospects and the hope is they get experience and showcased to move on.  The US was in a similar  position, though much less so today of course. 

On 3/2/2019 at 11:06 AM, SpecialK said:

Really? You rate some kid playing 4th division amateurs (that would about D8 or something) in Vaals over a player at an MLS academy? This list is a joke. 

It makes sense that the most talented players are with the MLS academies. At least, it should be from the Academies' perspective. There might be a couple of players that could be added, but we don't know the arguments made, and often it's just one coach preference over a player that decides. 

On 3/4/2019 at 7:11 AM, Vince193 said:

Because the media doesn't want to run afoul of the CSA and lose their access. It's pretty obvious.

This. This. This. This. This.

It's a disgrace. But predictable. Don't report, then when it happens report "everyone knew". Wait for next situation. Repeat.

4 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

Who has actually seen these kids play and can make a judgement beyond the name of the academy that they play at?

Mate, I don't get your reply. My comment was to the lack of media scrutiny in general - including asking CSA if a certain player was invited and turned us down (or even why a former coach was sacked).

I agree we are in no position whatsoever to say player A should have been selected over player B. Who am I to say with the kid from Connah's Quay Nomads FC or from Big Players FC is better than the academy kid.

Edited by BCM

10 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Or it's not worth the effort because outside of the couple of hundred hardcore fans no one cares!

Not to beat a dead horse, but no one cares that the former coach was sacked and the journalists paid to cover the sport didn't even ask why? Or that a replacement was named on the spot without a search (which may be in breach of federal sport funding rules)? These seem like normal questions in the course of the business.

34 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but no one cares that the former coach was sacked and the journalists paid to cover the sport didn't even ask why? Or that a replacement was named on the spot without a search (which may be in breach of federal sport funding rules)? These seem like normal questions in the course of the business.

Exactly, even something of that level doesn’t even warrants enough interest so why would U17 omissions?

The one thing I don't get about the theory of reporters fearing losing their access is this. There are only like a half dozen reporters that actually do any semblance of reporting on the national team. Is the CSA really going to spitefully cut any of them out of the loop because they ask why a player isn't in a camp?

I imagine it has more to do with the reporters not being as obsessed as us and not being aware of guys like Flores. They probably don't know the U17 player pool, so they aren't going to ask questions. They do on occasion ask about notable omissions for the men's team. It's like if I listed my 5 best friends on here, you aren't going to ask me about any omissions. Really? X is a better friend to you than Y? I suppose the reporters could more generally question the lack of players from outside the MLS academies.

P.S. For what it's worth, someone mentioned Jonathan David as a player not from an MLS academy. It was a bad example though since he actually did play for the U17 team despite not being with an MLS academy.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

According to Crystal Palace's academy GK coach, young Owen was born in the UK, but lived in Canada from ages 8 to 12. He will be training with an England youth team next month. 

Does he have a Canadian parent or does this mean he’s ineligible for Canada.

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

According to Crystal Palace's academy GK coach, young Owen was born in the UK, but lived in Canada from ages 8 to 12. He will be training with an England youth team next month. 

I remember reading a brochure for a GTA youth club a couple months ago (I can't remember which club it was) and Goodman was featured in it. It said that he was developed and scouted while at the club. Obviously this isn't enough info to determine whether he is eligible for us or not, but his Canadian connection is significant. 

TFC attackers Jayden Nelson and Jacen Russell-Rowe flying high in Dallas. Got to think they will be in the U17 as well.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/04/15/toronto-fc-trounce-pe-arol-thanks-jayden-nelson-and-jacen-russell-rowe

Btw Montreal Impact also competing in Dallas: 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/04/14/despite-results-montreal-impact-have-strong-showing-champions-division

Unfortunately rosters aren't published (or I can't find them anyway).

What I find strange about these kind of results and I’ve seen this in the past too, so an under 17 TFC Academy beats an U17 team like a Penerol. However, then a good portion of these same players go play on the U17 Canadian national team and have trouble beating Caribbean minnow Island teams or even an El Salvador or a Guatemala and crash out of the U17 World Cup Qualifying. You would think a Peñarol U17 team from Uruguay a country that produces players like Canada produces hockey players is much much better than most of these CONCACAF countries that Canada faces in these youth World Cup qualifying tournaments.

Edited by 1996