2019 CONCACAF U17 Championship

Kent

7 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

That last goal by Nelson... damn.... the kid has tons of skill and pace. TFC better give him a chance sooner than later.

Curacao had a lot of big, strong and fast kids...Nelsen was blowing past them while controlling the ball.  No one is as  fast as Davies but Jayden has to be up there. He appears to be much more effective when playing on the left flank vs right.

This team is incredibly frustrating to watch.  Not necessarily because of the mistakes cause I can deal with that due to the age group (however, I could do without all the attempted backheels) but because of the lack of organization or tactics.  Apparently the idea is to knock it around the back four until you get it to the outside back who will then hoof it up the line for Nelson to chase.  When you have a guy like Habibullah who can dribble in a phone booth and has some pretty spectacular vision, why are we not trying to play it into him once in awhile and work through the middle?  There is no link between the back four and the midfield.  They are so far apart (except when Olivieri demands a back three) that hoof and hope is all that is left.

Seems like Costa Rica just needs to isolate Nelson and they'll be good to go.

4 hours ago, El Hombre said:

This team is incredibly frustrating to watch.  Not necessarily because of the mistakes cause I can deal with that due to the age group (however, I could do without all the attempted backheels) but because of the lack of organization or tactics.  Apparently the idea is to knock it around the back four until you get it to the outside back who will then hoof it up the line for Nelson to chase.  When you have a guy like Habibullah who can dribble in a phone booth and has some pretty spectacular vision, why are we not trying to play it into him once in awhile and work through the middle?  There is no link between the back four and the midfield.  They are so far apart (except when Olivieri demands a back three) that hoof and hope is all that is left.

The tactics at the beginning of the game against the US were baffling. We started in a 4-3-3 with our front 3 very narrow and no high press. The US split their fullbacks out wide, so we had 3 attackers standing around looking at their 2 CBs while the US had a numerical advantage everywhere else. 

I blow hot and cold on it. If your resources are limited (and "money" is not the only resource here) it makes sense to let the professional academies do your scouting for you. Yes you miss the diamonds in the rough, but you also see boys who already passed the eye of scouts and coaches playing against their peers rather than having to evaluate big fish in small ponds. You're calling up players used to pro training and pro discipline and playing with talent beside them as well as opposing, which is good when you have so little time to really coach them.

That said, in a country like this there are plenty of diamonds in our rough and we all know it.

There are actually two non Cdn MLS academy players: GK Kouadio (Florida prep school) and MF Dunning (Feyenoord). As comparison. the US roster has 3 non-MLS academy players and nobody playing in Europe.

On another note, Colyn reminds me of Bekker in both a good and bad way. 

I’m also hot and cold on it.

They spend most of their resources on U-20 scouting.  Our U-20 program has uncovered plenty of diamonds in the rough and it’s really been the best run of our your national teams.

Just scouting the professional team academies gives a general baseline of talent and to be honest a good chunk of our player base currently has had some interaction with the 3 MLS teams, Ottawa or Edmonton.  It’s not a perfect system of course but it’s what we’ve worked with limited resources.

Could somebody please explain this complaint to me, I just don't get it. Just because the majority of the players were selected from MLS academies, doesn't mean that only those players were scouted. Isn't it possible that our best players are simply part of those academies? That would seem logical. Can anyone point to specific players that deserve, or don't deserve, to have been selected instead?

10 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Could somebody please explain this complaint to me, I just don't get it. Just because the majority of the players were selected from MLS academies, doesn't mean that only those players were scouted. Isn't it possible that our best players are simply part of those academies? That would seem logical. Can anyone point to specific players that deserve, or don't deserve, to have been selected instead?

There have been a countless amount of players rejected from MLS academies because they “weren’t athletic enough.

See Liam Millar

3 minutes ago, canta15 said:

There have been a countless amount of players rejected from MLS academies because they “weren’t athletic enough.

See Liam Millar

That doesn't really answer the question. He might not have deserved a spot at the time

9 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

That doesn't really answer the question. He might not have deserved a spot at the time

it really does answer the question though

20 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I find it funny that everyone agrees the CPL is good because we dont want young soccer players to have to go abroad the chase a soccer dream. Now we have a team made up of players all learning their trade in Canada and people are complaining.

As @redcardsaid a few players not playing in Canada (Dunning and Kouadio) And you're merging two different arguments (place for Canadians to play i.e CPL vs Canada YNTs fielding predominantly MLS clubs). 

However the CPL will fill/change the disparity for the U20 team but it won't for the U17s. Thats why I hope the CPL has plans for academies real quick, because the reality is that there is only 4 professional academies that have clear pathways to the first team/pros. And to me that's the next vital step — developing more youth players in professional setups. 

3 hours ago, canta15 said:

it really does answer the question though

So Liam Millar should have been selected for this U17 competition? What does one player leaving TFC years ago have to do with the selection for our current youth national team? I asked for examples of players that were overlooked for this team. Football is full of players that were turned down at one point, and continued to develop. Look at Barcelona with players like Pique or Jordi Alba, who were both let go after playing their youth football with Barcelona, and both worked their way back to the squad. 

Besides, you can't expect our national teams to always select the teenagers that end up having the best careers. That's not how it works. Development is gradual and requires constant progression. Clubs may select young players based on potential, because there is profit in that if that player develops, but National teams will select players that will help the team win right now because winning is the only way to help the national team, and future national teams. Winning allows our players to compete in bigger competitions which ensures there are more eyes on the squad and more opportunities for standout individuals.

Edited by Aird25

9 hours ago, Shway said:

As @redcardsaid a few players not playing in Canada (Dunning and Kouadio) And you're merging two different arguments (place for Canadians to play i.e CPL vs Canada YNTs fielding predominantly MLS clubs). 

However the CPL will fill/change the disparity for the U20 team but it won't for the U17s. Thats why I hope the CPL has plans for academies real quick, because the reality is that there is only 4 professional academies that have clear pathways to the first team/pros. And to me that's the next vital step — developing more youth players in professional setups. 

Sure.. but that doesn't exist yet so were they to fill the team with HFX Wanderers 16 year olds from the year 2025. 

They have a very short window to get it right so I doubt its the time to roll the dice on someone from a community team from wherever

Edited by SpursFlu

9 hours ago, Aird25 said:

So Liam Millar should have been selected for this U17 competition? What does one player leaving TFC years ago have to do with the selection for our current youth national team? I asked for examples of players that were overlooked for this team. Football is full of players that were turned down at one point, and continued to develop. Look at Barcelona with players like Pique or Jordi Alba, who were both let go after playing their youth football with Barcelona, and both worked their way back to the squad. 

Besides, you can't expect our national teams to always select the teenagers that end up having the best careers. That's not how it works. Development is gradual and requires constant progression. Clubs may select young players based on potential, because there is profit in that if that player develops, but National teams will select players that will help the team win right now because winning is the only way to help the national team, and future national teams. Winning allows our players to compete in bigger competitions which ensures there are more eyes on the squad and more opportunities for standout individuals.

The fact that all of the players came from MLS academies looks lazy.  Perhaps they were the best players, but chances are there were a few diamonds in the rough that were rejected from Mls academies because they are far from perfect.