Tajon Buchanan

nolando

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

We're developing a culture of winners in the pool which is fantastic.

Osorio, Davies, David, Buchanon,Hutchinson, Larin, Eustaquio and even Wotherspoon with his cup titles, the pool is filled with title winners and that chmapionship mentality which will serve us extremely well for the next ten ears.

add Borjan

Tajon has been very much more defensively responsible in the games I have watched him play at Brugge. Perhaps the coach wanted him to work on that side of his game. It's a plus for both Tajon and the CMNT as he becomes a solid two way player. He was still an attacking threat, so that side of his game did not suffer.

6 hours ago, pod818 said:

Club Brugges are champions of the Belgium league as they beat Antwerp 3-1. Congratulations to Tajon for winning a cup title. He will be playing Champions league football next year.  It’s a pity he had to sit this one out due to a red card last game. But it’s great to see him celebrating with his team at the end of the game. 🏆

So we have Davies (Bundesliga title), Eustaqio (Liga Portugal title) and both Brym and Laryea in promotion battles. Canadian men are doing well 

This is exactly why I preferred a move to Brugge over the likes of Augsburg. How many of you were saying he should go to the Bundesliga because it is a stronger league than Belgium?

Well, Brugge are champions and will play in Champions League, meanwhile Augsburg are languishing near the bottom of the table (5 points from safety) with no European football on the horizon.

Clearly he made the right choice.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

This is exactly why I preferred a move to Brugge over the likes of Augsburg. How many of you were saying he should go to the Bundesliga because it is a stronger league than Belgium?

Well, Brugge are champions and will play in Champions League, meanwhile Augsburg are languishing near the bottom of the table (5 points from safety) with no European football on the horizon.

He would be facing better competition week in and week out at Augsburg. Just look at how long Club Brugge lasted in the Champions league.  When he arrived at Brugge, they were already out of the CL and they were a distant last in their group, plus he never got to play in CL anyways.  Likely wont be any different next year for Brugge in the CL. 

For the record,  i am one who would have prefferred to see him in Germany, but i never said that Brugge was a bad move either.  My views  havent really changed.  

Edited by Free kick

11 minutes ago, Free kick said:

He would be facing better competition week in and week out at Augsburg. Just look at how long Club Brugge lasted in the Champions league.  When he arrived at Brugge, they were already out of the CL and they were a distant last in their group, so he never got to play in CL anyways.  Likely wont be any different next year.  

For the record,  i am one who would have prefferred to see him in Germany, but i never said that Brugge was a bad move either.  My views  havent really changed.  

I am curious where being a champion factors into this for you? How much importance do you give the Bundesliga's strength versus the confidence gained from winning titles in Belgium?

And furthermore, yes playing against better teams on a weekly basis is advantageous, but do you discount that advantage for a team like Augsburg that's struggled? Playing with Freiburg or Union Berlin is a different (better) Bundesliga experience than Augsburg, at least as far as this season goes, right? 

I consider Ricardo Pepi's situation and thank the soccer gods that's not Tajon, because it easily could have been. 

39 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am curious where being a champion factors into this for you? How much importance do you give the Bundesliga's strength versus the confidence gained from winning titles in Belgium?

And furthermore, yes playing against better teams on a weekly basis is advantageous, but do you discount that advantage for a team like Augsburg that's struggled? Playing with Freiburg or Union Berlin is a different (better) Bundesliga experience than Augsburg, at least as far as this season goes, right? 

I consider Ricardo Pepi's situation and thank the soccer gods that's not Tajon, because it easily could have been. 

I think, if you are a canada fan, you want to see your players playing with and against the best possible talent as much as possible and as often as possible.   Getting into the CL is a plus.  But for a club like Brugge, CL will amount to only six games.  The rest of the year it means playing weaker competion.  

For proof, Wolfburg is only two spots higher (and 4 point higher) than Augsburg in bundesliga.   But they (Wolfsburg) had a much more respectable campaign  in the Champions league and certainly looked more competive than Brugge did.    This tells us a lot.  Every year in the CL, there are always 3-4 sides that get into the group stage through the the chmpions playoff stream or are from a second tier league that is guaranteed a spot.  And they stand out for being clear notch below everyone else.   Malmo was that team this year and you could argue Brugge was one of the two or three right behind them 

Again,  i am not saying it was terrible move to Brugge.   I could accept the argument that it might be a wash between Brugge and Augsburg.  But I still think competition or league matters in terms of establishing your credibility.  

As for Ricardo Pepi, he just seemed to me like a bit of flash in the pan anyways.  He got hot in a short period of time.   TB excelled over a much longer period of time and build a better track record,  so there is less reason to believe that TB could have sufferred the same fate as Peppi. 

Edited by Free kick

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Pluses and minuses to both options. I think ideally you'd want a player to be in a top 5 league for the more consistent higher level of competition, but going to a top club in a 2nd tier league gives them the benefit of still stepping up a level while being more likely to win something.  And besides, if he had gone to Augsburg maybe they would have finished a bit higher.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

not just that. The fact that he plays on a dominant team who are expected to take games to their opponents plays to Tajon's attacking strengths; it gives him an opportunity to actually show what he can do when he is given the opportunity to take place in the attack. Pepi is a good player, but when Augsburg is defending for life in nearly every game, it hardly lends a player like Pepi an opportunity to showcase himself. Ultimately derailing his progress.

Edited by LeoH037

7 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Tajon has been very much more defensively responsible in the games I have watched him play at Brugge. Perhaps the coach wanted him to work on that side of his game. It's a plus for both Tajon and the CMNT as he becomes a solid two way player. He was still an attacking threat, so that side of his game did not suffer.

He was brilliant and tenacious defensively in the matches I saw. Certainly playing a different role at Brugge than in New England or with Canada. 

No matter how much I slice and dice the numbers between Club Brugge and Augsburg, looking at league, standings in the league, head to head matchups, performace in Europe, performance in europe using comparable clubs,  strenght of groups in CL and EL, etc etc etc.

Atfter all this, i am left with one conclusion.  These two are virtually identical clubs as far as quality.  Hence it should probably be no surprise that in the Bundesliga, Brugge would finish 14th where Augsburg did and that Augsburg would proabably win the Belgian title.   So it should be no surprise that it came down to choice between these two.   So if TB is good enough to earn good ratings and reviews (in relation to his peers) at Brugge, you have to figure it would have been the same with Augsburg.  So i do agrre with @Watchmen that TB might have been good enough to propell them to 10th or 12th. 

PS:  for all the talk of relegation, Augsburg were fairly clear of the relegation spot, they were closer to mid table than relegation, so i dont get this talk of relegation and they are a terrible team.

Edited by Free kick

7 minutes ago, Free kick said:

No matter how much I slice and dice the numbers between Club Brugge and Augsburg, looking at league, standings in the league, performace in Europe, performance in europe using comparable clubs,  strenght of groups in CL and EL, etc etc etc.

Atfter all this, i am left with one conclusion.  These two are virtually identical clubs as far as quality.  Hence it should probably be no surprise that in the Bundesliga, Brugge would finish 14th where Augsburg did and that Augsburg would proabably win the Belgian title.   So it should be no surprise that it came down to choice between these two.   So if TB is good enough to earn good ratings and reviews (in relation to his peers) at Brugge, you have to figure it would have been the same with Augsburg.  So i do agrre with @Watchmen that TB might have been good enough to propell them to 10th or 12th. 

PS:  for all the talk of relegation, Augsburg were fairly clear of the relegation spot, they were closer to mid table than relegation, so i dont get this talk of relegation.  

Augsburg would also play a different brand of soccer if they were on a "lesser" league. Teams don't exist in a vaccum, and as such it not just the team itself that the player plays in that matters, its also their place in relation to others in the league.  A guy like Tajon would not benefit in having to play for a team that defends for dear life in almost every game. Sure he would probably become a better defender... but that's not what he excels at or was known for in MLS. Tajon made the right choice, and it will become apparent in a few years when he is competing for trophies in a top 5 league, and a guy like Pepi is not. 

I think TB is the one player who stands to see his stock rise the most from playing at the WC.   More than anyone else on our MNT pool.   Unless, of course, he underperforms at the WC. 

Jonathan David will very likely move this summer.   Davies’ stock is already high and cant go any higher from playing at the WC.  Laryea has already moved but he has painted himself into a corner by going to the Championship side.  Larin will be 27 and is now a known quantity.  Eustaquio is already at a decent club but needs minutes.  The MLS players could see their stock rise but we know how Europeans view MLS.    

26 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I think TB is the one player who stands to see his stock rise the most from playing at the WC.   More than anyone else on our MNT pool.   Unless, of course, he underperforms at the WC. 

Jonathan David will very likely move this summer.   Davies’ stock is already high and cant go any higher from playing at the WC.  Laryea has already moved but he has painted himself into a corner by going to the Championship side.  Larin will be 27 and is now a known quantity.  Eustaquio is already at a decent club but needs minutes.  The MLS players could see their stock rise but we know how Europeans view MLS.    

so basically jonathan david to club brugge confirmed?

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

I think, if you are a canada fan, you want to see your players playing with and against the best possible talent as much as possible and as often as possible.   Getting into the CL is a plus.  But for a club like Brugge, CL will amount to only six games.  The rest of the year it means playing weaker competion.  

I think you downplay the significance of a team making the Champions League. The UEFA champions league is one of the most sought after trophies in the world, perhaps only behind the World Cup in footballing glory. Teams may only play 6 games (but the World Cup may only amount to 3). Think of the glory Canada felt making the World Cup after 30 years, it can be a similar significance for teams to make the CL. 

Teams get a major appearance fee which can be significant amount of operating revenue for the smaller euro teams in addition to the performance and TV revenue just for making the final round. 

Just like Tajon can raise his value with a good World Cup, he can easily raise his value with good CL appearances. The whole world are watching Champions league games

This is part of the reason (perhaps mistakenly) David held off a marquee transfer in the winter just to play a few more Champions league games with Lille. If he or Lille had done better, it would have raised his transfer fee even more

Edited by pod818

No, I am not down playing the significance of playing in the champions league.  And I fully get everything else.   I know that.   But he didn’t get to play in the CL this year because he arrived at Brugge too late.  

I think we are splitting hairs here.   Either way.  Just to play devils advocate,  the soccer community will easily know that in the champions league there are ranges from Manchester City/ RM Malmo.  Every year,  there is a Malmo.    Brugge is closer to Malmo than to MAn C or RM. 

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

No matter how much I slice and dice the numbers between Club Brugge and Augsburg, looking at league, standings in the league, head to head matchups, performace in Europe, performance in europe using comparable clubs,  strenght of groups in CL and EL, etc etc etc.

PS:  for all the talk of relegation, Augsburg were fairly clear of the relegation spot, they were closer to mid table than relegation, so i dont get this talk of relegation and they are a terrible team.

You've made some good points in your last few posts, but i'll just say this: If Augsburg were in the Belgian Pro league, competing for titles and Club Brugge were in the Bundesliga, struggling to stay up, then I would much prefer he were at Augsburg.

The bolded part is something I disagree with, though.

No, I don't think TB would earn the same reviews in a tougher, more competitive Bundesliga. I don't think you can cut and paste here and assume that he would have the same impact. The superior quality of Bundesliga teams would mean he'd likely struggle, just like the rest of the players at Augsburg this season. It's hard to play well in a poor team. Or put another way, it's easy to shine in a good team, when you and your teammates are clearly superior to the opposition.

In some ways, I guess I prefered the smaller step than the bigger one. And because Brugge play in the Belgian league, not the Bundesliga, the step up was smaller, more managable, and most importantly less risky.

For whatever we think of Pepi, his tough start was in a large part down to the struggles of the team. If it were Brugge he had gone to I sincerely doubt he would be goaless. He'd likely have some goals under his belt and some confidence as well.

21 minutes ago, Free kick said:

No, I am not down playing the significance of playing in the champions league.  And I fully get everything else.   I know that.   But he didn’t get to play in the CL this year because he arrived at Brugge too late.  

I think we are splitting hairs here.   Either way.  Just to play devils advocate,  the soccer community will easily know that in the champions league there are ranges from Manchester City/ RM Malmo.  Every year,  there is a Malmo.    Brugge is closer to Malmo than to MAn C or RM.   and i 

Brugge are obviously closer to Malmo than Manchester City, but there's value in playing Champions League, even if you are making up the numbers. Nothing is expected of Brugge in the Champions League, but there's a carrot for the players in the sense that if you play well you could get noticed. At Augsburg it's the same, if not better, because Bundesliga teams get to see you every week. Again though, there's an inherent risk that you may go down with a sinking ship. There's none of that downside risk at Brugge.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Brugge is not going to sell him, it is too early. 

As I am pretty sure his numbers will be even better next year, and he'll be seen at the World Cup, their transfer options will be much better this time next season.

Are they going to play the entire group stage of Champions League before the WC?

I think so especially since the domestic club season for European leagues starts up by August