Nike?

Admin

• 4 weeks later...

makes sense, but what doesn’t is that they have these convo separate with the same federation. Meaning someone should’ve forecasted an issue.

You say Tier 1, yes I’m quality…but what about sales, or that doesn’t matter?

Anyways Im going to assume our young boys are playing qualifying in the same 2021 kits.

10 hours ago, Shway said:

makes sense, but what doesn’t is that they have these convo separate with the same federation. Meaning someone should’ve forecasted an issue.

You say Tier 1, yes I’m quality…but what about sales, or that doesn’t matter?

Anyways Im going to assume our young boys are playing qualifying in the same 2021 kits.

Someone likely dropped the ball - maybe one of the reasons the marketing officer was let go last month. Structurally, CSA's limited marketing department and limited expertise about the football kit industry also likely played a role.

When the Nike contract was announced a few years ago, the tiering wasn't likely noticed by the CSA. But people really into the world of football kits lamented immediately online that the CSA was going to get screwed with Nike's version of second/third class treatment.

Classification by Nike is based on a number of factors including sales & brand value. For instance, Nigeria is Nike Tier 1 because they sold 3 million kits before Russia 2018. If you attended home Canada women's matches since 2013, there were way more people wearing Umbro Canada kits than at men's matches.

Cochrane said discussions about the women's kit started soon after the contract was signed but he said nobody at that time till during the latter stages of men's WCQ asked about what's going on with the men's kit. And based on Bontis comments last year, it seemed no one kept close tabs on Nike till after the gold medal win. They seemed to have a hard time getting a meeting with Nike about supply issues but if you're a third tier client getting teamwear, Nike outsources everything to a third party. 

12 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Especially if the deal is worth $0 like Marc Weber mentioned 

I'm sure the only thought / work that went into the decision to go with Nike over looking at other options was that Bontis thinks Nike is "cool" and would be happy with the free swag that the NIke representative promised.

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2023 at 10:19 PM, Aird25 said:

Especially if the deal is worth $0 like Marc Weber mentioned 

Is it a different kind of arrangement? Like a percentage of all sales sort of thing? It can't just be 0....otherwise they should be able to easily break out of a contract when one side has no consideration. 

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

Is it a different kind of arrangement? Like a percentage of all sales sort of thing? It can't just be 0....otherwise they should be able to easily break out of a contract when one side has no consideration. 

I don’t actually know myself, but I thought I heard that a lot of our sponsorships like Nike and Gatorade don’t actually include any cash. They just supply the actual goods like kits, equipment, drinks, coolers etc for the players/clubs 

So Kloke touched on this more in the athletic but basically Nike doesn’t pay us and was supposed to at a point. They give us some free gear (hence why it has to be given back after the end of camps because we have to share it with our other teams) and that’s about it.

Bontis and Co wanted Nike and negotiated the deal themselves…. Further more other major brands had interest in sponsoring the team… basically CSB thinks that if they had done the deal, we might not have gotten Nike but we would have gotten more gear and more $$, the CSA didn’t negotiate with anyone but Nike. 

45 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

So Kloke touched on this more in the athletic but basically Nike doesn’t pay us and was supposed to at a point. They give us some free gear (hence why it has to be given back after the end of camps because we have to share it with our other teams) and that’s about it.

Bontis and Co wanted Nike and negotiated the deal themselves…. Further more other major brands had interest in sponsoring the team… basically CSB thinks that if they had done the deal, we might not have gotten Nike but we would have gotten more gear and more $$, the CSA didn’t negotiate with anyone but Nike. 

Pretty sure CSB would have gotten us Macron.