Nike?

Admin

On 6/29/2021 at 12:27 AM, TGAA_Star said:

Just love the look of our jerseys so much but definitely more a fan of our black and white jerseys as well.

We have no reason to wear black, and frankly never should.  At most I'll accept it as a trim colour, but we are red and white, and that's it.  It may look good to some, but going "Black For Black's Sake" - BFBS - doesn't represent us.  

3 hours ago, RJB said:

We have no reason to wear black, and frankly never should.  At most I'll accept it as a trim colour, but we are red and white, and that's it.  It may look good to some, but going "Black For Black's Sake" - BFBS - doesn't represent us.  

Completely disagree. We have three colours in our crest: red, white and black. What other colour should our third kit be?

I'm not a fan of this new (to someone my age) idea of black as a primary colour (the Gretzky era Kings ruined all that, but anyway...)

The black replica is $150.00, and the black authentic kit is $250, with the only difference being the authentic one has that Nike-squiggly-shit down the sides, but the replica only has it on the sleeves.  From a distance, they both just look like fancy black t-shirts.

3 hours ago, frmr said:

Completely disagree. We have three colours in our crest: red, white and black. What other colour should our third kit be?

First of all, I we need a third kit as much as we need a fourth kit, as in not at all. And secondly, if we must have one, the colour choice should be rooted in the nation.  We have a history of wearing blue, as it is sort of the monarchs unofficial-official colour.  

As Croatia has proven many times, the national kit shouldn't necessarily be a stylistic choice, but a symbol of the nation.  And for Canada, black just doesn't fit. 

11 minutes ago, RJB said:

First of all, I we need a third kit as much as we need a fourth kit, as in not at all. And secondly, if we must have one, the colour choice should be rooted in the nation.  We have a history of wearing blue, as it is sort of the monarchs unofficial-official colour.  

As Croatia has proven many times, the national kit shouldn't necessarily be a stylistic choice, but a symbol of the nation.  And for Canada, black just doesn't fit. 

The black kits were by far the quickest to sell out and I'm sure there were lots of people who bought a Canada kit specifically because there was a black one on offer. Myself included in fact. You're saying that it would be better to not have a third kit that is more aesthetically wearable and brings in much needed $$$ to our program because we don't have black on our country's flag? There's literally no benefit to what you're suggesting, and you're lobbying to literally stop money from coming into the program with a justification that holds no water. And sorry, blue? You think blue would be better because it's an unofficial colour of the monarchy? I'm going to make a bold prediction here and say you're probably not going to be hired by the CSA anytime soon.

Edited by frmr

6 minutes ago, frmr said:

The black kits were by far the quickest to sell out and I'm sure there were lots of people who bought a Canada kit specifically because there was a black one on offer. Myself included in fact. You're saying that it would be better to not have a third kit that is more aesthetically wearable and brings in much needed $$$ to our program because we don't have black on our country's flag? There's literally no benefit to what you're suggesting, and you're lobbying to literally stop money from coming into the program with a justification that holds no water. And sorry, blue? You think blue would be better because it's an unofficial colour of the monarchy? I'm going to make a bold prediction here and say you're probably not going to be hired by the CSA anytime soon.

Buy a t-shirt that is black if you want a black shirt. If we made yellow jersey that sold out would you say yellow should be a kit?  

My position is not about money. I'm talking from an aesthetic point of view, and it isn't about the just the flag it's about national symbolism. Black isn't a Canadian colour. I'd take any colour that is in the coat of arms before black. If you want a jersey that is all about appealing to the cool kids so be it, but I'm simply saying the jersey colour should have some national connection, not just be BFBS. 

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

Buy a t-shirt that is black if you want a black shirt. If we made yellow jersey that sold out would you say yellow should be a kit?  

My position is not about money. I'm talking from an aesthetic point of view, and it isn't about the just the flag it's about national symbolism. Black isn't a Canadian colour. I'd take any colour that is in the coat of arms before black. If you want a jersey that is all about appealing to the cool kids so be it, but I'm simply saying the jersey colour should have some national connection, not just be BFBS. 

Again, our crest is red, white and black. The black kit has sold more than than the red and white kits. Hockey Canada is also red, white and black so there is already a precedence for this being our sporting tricolour. Most of our Olympic kit also heavily features black. You repeatedly using an acronym doesn't change the fact that red, white and black has basically been established as our country's sporting colours. It's great that you don't personally like it, but at the end of the day it is absolutely is about money. That's why we have a third kit—so we can sell merchandise and raise money and operate like a professional association. Everyone complains that the CSA has no money, and yet we have people complaining when we come out with a top-selling third kit? Fuck me sideways.

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

Again, our crest is red, white and black. The black kit has sold more than than the red and white kits. Hockey Canada is also red, white and black so there is already a precedence for this being our sporting tricolour. Most of our Olympic kit also heavily features black. You repeatedly using an acronym doesn't change the fact that red, white and black has basically been established as our country's sporting colours. It's great that you don't personally like it, but at the end of the day it is absolutely is about money. That's why we have a third kit—so we can sell merchandise and raise money and operate like a professional association. Everyone complains that the CSA has no money, and yet we have people complaining when we come out with a top-selling third kit? Fuck me sideways.

I'm classic. I don't like what Nike does with uniforms where they have city edition, earned, city connect, and what not. I don't like watching a sporting event where I don't know who is playing because they're wearing colours that don't connect.  And you love that we wear black. So it goes. I'm not bothered by it, but I do have an opinion.  Maybe one day we'll see us in black vs. Germany in pink in the biennial world cup final. Anything for a buck!

30 minutes ago, RJB said:

I'm classic. I don't like what Nike does with uniforms where they have city edition, earned, city connect, and what not. I don't like watching a sporting event where I don't know who is playing because they're wearing colours that don't connect.  And you love that we wear black. So it goes. I'm not bothered by it, but I do have an opinion.  Maybe one day we'll see us in black vs. Germany in pink in the biennial world cup final. Anything for a buck!

Fair enough, you’re entitled to your opinion. Just for shits and giggles though, here’s Bunbury in all black in the 90’s. Is that classic enough?

5985230723_283c2e4c7e_o.jpg

5 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

I'm not a fan of black uniforms in general. but if the only rationale for wanting blue over black is because it's the monarchy colour, give me black every day.

That's was simply an example of a way to connect colour to nation. 

For what it's worth, uni-watch.com is a great blog about the aesthetics of sport. It's all sports, and can be fairly niche at times, but it is a great place for exactly these types of conversations. 

Edited by RJB
typo

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

hey google "play despacito".

Sportcheck can gtfo here charging 2021 prices for 2019 kit. 

Ya in theory it's brutal - should be discounted. In practice I like that kit more than the weird orange vibes of our current and the difference between templates of our kits doesn't really matter to 95% of ppl anyways. Wish we actually launched the 2020 kit for men (what the women used) as that was our best kit (imo) since the blue centennial one or this very briefly used red hoops we had. 

• 1 year later...